Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Why does Tom Steinfort do the openers with GG & Deb?

They started doing that this week apparently. Someone mentioned that it may be because the audience hasn’t adjusted yet to having two female anchors.

What is happening so far this week has been in accordance to what has been stated by Nine. Tony did sport on location in Melbourne on Monday (with minimal banter). Tom has read sport Tuesday and today.

They started to do that last Thursday. Tom’s role on the team is still being defined, IMO, and he features heavily in the promos. I think Tom should either be the third host ( and co-hosts segments with Georgie and Deb) or just do the news. They shouldn’t change it when it suits, personally.

2 Likes

My one issue for the set is the blue walls next to the main plasma

1 Like

Could not have said it better myself, @blackbox :

Also, TV Blackbox revealed that Nine have still not adjusted their ratings for last week, after the “coding error”. Leaving many to assume that Today has reached the lows of the Karl and Jess Rowe era.

1 Like

The show was below 200k at times before the new team assembled. This is not going to be an overnight change and everyone knew that but for some reason everyone is overreacting to this. The show’s content should have changed for sure but these results are exactly what I expected for the beginning.

1 Like

Rob is just trying to deflect attention from his disgusting rant about Yumi Stynes. He’s yesterday’s man.

3 Likes

Gotta find a way to slag out another former employer somehow!

2 Likes

Thanks for the insightful feedback. Try listening to the whole podcast before passing judgement (although I’ve realised a lot of people like to pass judgement from just a headline).

At least I put my name to my opinions.

7 Likes

Not sure why it is an issue to give opinions, everyone here does it but if I do it I’m in the wrong. The hypocrisy of people on this forum is jaw-dropping.

For the record, I give both positive and negative feedback. Not my fault if people only focus on the negative. If you listen to the podcast I think you’ll find it’s well-balanced.

8 Likes

Quickly passing judgment and hypocrisy…yep, this forum is riddled with people like that. The common denominator - leftism.

Cue triggered leftie members…

1 Like

its more extreme left and extreme right fighting each other, the rest of us couldn’t give a hoot!

3 Likes

You’re entitled and welcome to voice your opinions, but you also know better than anyone here (having worked in broadcasting) that viewer habits don’t change in 3 weeks. You’re calling May Day May Day only 3 weeks and minimal changes into the new era.

3 Likes

I’ve openly said the show will need time, but for so much publicity I think the ratings are a worry. It will take more than a fresh coast of paint, they need to rethink the show. What can they do that offers a real point of difference to Sunrise. I’d love to see the show back in the race, but unless it evolves further I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you on what the show needs and you’re absolutely correct that what they’ve done so far won’t move the needle. I do disagree that the show received much promotion, many here even complained that the show was rushed to air and more promoting of the new era was necessary. We’ve seen that this relaunch was not the massive campaign we expected or thought it should have been.

1 Like

i take the ratings with a grain of salt . its only those who have the oz tam boxes , what about those who havent???

2 Likes

What about them? The selection of households is not just done at random, they are selected very methodically to give the ratings panel a representative view of the broader population, demographics, etc. And Australia apparently has one of the better ratios of ratings boxes to the population than overseas markets.

5 Likes

Three hosts, local news windows, quality discussions, feature reports with the hosts, Brooke doing social media (NBC’s Orange Room) are some differences I can think of.

No one expected Today to go from woe to go overnight but I didn’t think they would be doing this poorly. Despite the promotions, this team has had no impact on the ratings. If Karl was still there, they would be in the same position.

A lot of people have said that Today made too many changes and have cited Sunrise’s downfall in 2016, after doing a similar thing. However, after Today promoted a “new day” and that they were “changing breakfast in 2019”, come Jan 14 everything but the team was the same. When the ratings are this low (last week dipped to the lowest in 12 years!) they should have changed EVERYTHING. After all, they have limped along with little changes since Lisa left. Frankly, I don’t think dragging out a poor quality show any longer will do any wonders (if if it upsets people’s consistency).

1 Like

well i think the ratings would be a whole better if every one got one because not every one in australia has a box

increasing the sample of households with a ratings box doesn’t necessarily reduce the margin of error. So we’d get much the same results as we get now.

and the systems and infrastructure that drives it all would no doubt get smashed by having that much more data to crunch on a daily basis. Increasing its capacity would not bring any significant reward.

3 Likes