Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Friday -
Natalia Cooper came in the studio this morning for her farewell with her now on maternity leave.

Deb also farewelled the show’s EP Mark Calvert in the closer this morning.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrEFGk-AevH/

Weekend Today’s James Birtles steps in as INTERIM Executive Producer. @mirb

4 Likes

Apart from Erin Bouda, are there any producers there from the good old days? They seem to go through producers a lot on breakfast TV. The hours?

2 Likes

Saturday -

Tom Steinfort hosting with Allison.

Mark Burrows presenting news and Stevie Jacobs presenting the weather.

2 Likes

He works with Allison; really accentuates how he was a misfit with Deb.

Steve Burling will move over to Today in the coming weeks.

VERY interesting development

1 Like

Why so?

Is this even true? Or just speculation?

Whoever takes over Today as EP has a lot of work to do.

The first thing I’d suggest is to ditch Stefanovic and the current 4 presenter format and go with a 3 presenter format like Good Morning America. Have a trio like Deb Knight, Georgie and Tim Gilbert sharing main hosting duties, make it more seamless rather than having distinctive roles.

Then there comes the sets/graphics. Graphics are ok-ish but needs a bit of polish. Set needs to be open and natural, not artificially bland like their current mess. It’s best that they build an apartment style set when they move to North Sydney in 2020.

Content also needs a rework. Less ‘breaking’ news sensationalism and less hyper-local news such as car crashes, housefires etc (or put them later). Start the 5:30 half hour with serious, important news and continue until 7am, and as the hours go by slowly introduce some consumer reports and entertainment reports (citing more on Today Extra), but maintain focus on worthy news and hard hitting interviews. Basically, start off serious, and become lighter as the show progresses (let Today Extra take all the entertainment/consumer news). Also, add traffic reports using local traffic management supplemented with a map of current traffic to bring viewers up to date.

Just my two cents.

4 Likes

That cast sounds awful.

I’d prefer if they went younger and had a fresher cast. People (but maybe not these him) like Tim McMillan.

1 Like

Although I agree with most of what you’re saying, I’d probably only pick one of GG or Deb to be a main presenter of Today so Nine News Sydney can have at least two high quality newsreaders on a regular basis.

Content wise, I’d really like to see Today introduce short 2-3 minute windows for local news, traffic & weather in at least the five main capital cities, with the possibility of expanding the concept to the Nine Regional/NBN markets in the future.

1 Like

There’s other options out there even if that requires something similar to what Georgie used to do with working Tuesday-Saturday and having Sunday/Monday off… they could keep Deb on weekends and have someone else filling in on Monday’s…

This is a good team!

1 Like

If they went younger then Tom Steinfort and Allison Langdon would be my pick to sit alongside Georgie.

2 Likes

I like them as a duo and can watch the show more without either Stefanovic.

4 Likes

How is Today covering Karl’s wedding?

In tomorrow’s The Australian. Who is this guy? (You may have to click on picture).

Nine News Adelaide presenter Brenton Ragless.

1 Like

Herald Sun a few days ago also claiming Brenton could be a possible replacement for Karl.

Monday -

Deb Knight hosting with Brenton Ragless,
Lara Vella is presenting News/Entertainment with Erin Molan presenting sport and Stevie Jacobs presenting weather again this week.

Deb congratulated Karl on his marriage and they will be showing some photos of the happy couple later in the show.

2 Likes