Today (2015-Sept 2020)

If the multiple rumours are to be believed, Karl Stefanovic wants desperately to get out of there. I’ve said before that A Current Affair is his natural home, I think. When he has filled in he does it perfectly and easily as it fits his style. Today, and hard news reporting doesn’t. A reshuffle where Tracy Grimshaw moves onto 60 minutes doing proper interviews and Karl slipping into her spot is what I would like. As for Today … Georgie Gardner and Deborah Knight seems like a good pairing and worth a shot.

4 Likes

Georgie & Deb would be a great pairing & provide a point of difference to Sunrise and ABC.
I’m someone who was really excited about Georgie and Karl, and thought my breakfast tv woes would finally be alleviated. But something just seems a bit off, I think the strong Stefanovic presence generally (including Sylvia) is a bit of a turn off.

4 Likes

The only thing that would really worry me about the possibility of a Georgie & Deb duo on Today is who’d become the new 2nd in-line newsreader on Nine News Sydney.

Others will likely have a different opinion, but I sure as heck wouldn’t want to see Mark Burrows (who’s fine as a reporter, but has always had a somewhat stilted and awkward newsreading style) become the main choice after Peter Overton!

4 Likes

There’s still Allison Langdon and Jayne Azzopardi who’ve both filled in before, so I can’t see why they can’t be two options.

1 Like

There isn’t a rule that there should be two presenters. They could try introducing a third. Could help change the interpersonal dynamic.

Also, a few changes to the studio. Get them out from behind a big bulky desk either totally or by replacing it with one with a glass top and limited front and introduce some other elements so the desk is not the main focus of the studio presentation.

2 Likes

It’s 2018 and people really care which state the presenters of TV shows come from? Seriously? Surely the primary criterion should be how good / competent they are, not what part of Australia they happened to be born in.

If that is actually the case, it really goes to show how insular, parochial and utterly pathetic this country can be.

3 Likes

I’ve had this argument with SCTV before.

Origins of presenters make no difference at all. It’s the quality of the presenter not where they are from. Who cares where they were born?

1 Like

If 9 did put Georgie and Deb together, they should try and get Chris Bath as a newsreader for the 6pm bulletin.

Without dragging this too far off topic, here’s my two cents in regards to this…

Although it is a pretty weird how some people choose to watch a show based on where the presenter comes from, I think it’s a big call to say that this country is pathetic simply because of that. The reality is that we have to accept the fact that some people are just like that, which is sad but also a reality that we can’t change.

1 Like

Peter Overton was promoted without having done weekends immediately prior, so I can’t see why that can’t happen again whenever Overton retires … which will actually be many years away!

Deborah Knight btw, I think is perfect for Today.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t care that much about where the presenters of TV shows come from as long as they’re appropriate for the job. I can’t stress that enough.

But the general population? I think the majority do like seeing their states, cities…heck, even their local areas reflected on TV in some form or another. There’s also the broader issue of whether or not the choice of on-air personalities in the Australian media truly reflects Australian society as a whole, but that’s a very long debate for another time and topic.

Well said!

2 Likes

Whilst I too do not believe where a presenter comes from can determine the shows ratings. I do believe a big factor for ratings of a breakfast TV show is the amount of local content that is relevant to them. The introduction of Perth News for instance on both Sunrise and Today seems to have balance the local news correctly.

If we were to compare this prior to Perth news being introduced, it would be rare for news from WA to be on national TV. So if Today wanted to work on ratings which i’m sure they do, they need an even balance from every state including regional areas.

1 Like

with WIN TV closing down its production unit in Toowoomba I reckon they could poach Lincoln Humphries for the show. bit of young fresh blood.

Toowoomba has been closed for ages, longer than Maroochydore studios closing and the bulletins being moved to Woolongong. Regardless Lincoln would be an interesting choice, don’t think he would be in the relm of being considered for a national hosting gig. Whilst I don’t mind his presenting skills, I think he’s got a few more years left at Win before possibly moving to one of the commercial metro networks.

1 Like

I just meant reading sport

Friday (21.09.2018): Lara Vella is reading the news this morning.

3 Likes

Was Ryan from MAFS drunk? If you follow his social media he was out on the piss last night.

Just going through some old clips and realized the show could be rating bad cause they just don’t have fun anymore. They used to have lots of banter and challenges but now its just read news, segment, segment, segment, read news, sport, any sort of banter is shut down.

edit: and I feel it has a lot to do with sites like Dailymail or youth media who get offended over everything now and overreact and it becomes a big thing in a negative way instead of a positive/joke one like it used to… meaning the show is probably scared to be risky now.

2 Likes

I agree. There needs to be a much bigger focus on Australian news, not just Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne news.
Plenty of major stories worthy of Today happen in regional areas and yet these are seldom covered, even though they’ve got reporters in a lot of these regions now, that they could cross live to.

We often have major news here in Townsville that never rates a mention. We’re a large enough city to be placed on the national weather map, but not to ever include major news from!

I tune in and all I see is Sydney, Sydney, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane.

4 Likes

Saturday -
Melbourne reporter Lauren Tomasi is presenting weather from Melbourne this morning.

2 Likes