Today (2015-Sept 2020)

So I wake up at 5.20 this morning, and see Deb is co-hosting with Karl, during the Early News preview. I think wow, this is different. Lisa must have hurt herself and Sylvia is sick… So I hop on MS to see another surprise that in the Today thread I have 273 unread replies!!!

But what really tops it off, is the revelation that Lisa is leaving Today. This is absolutely tragic. She was the best thing about the show, and what really disgusts me is Pete Ford’s insight saying Lisa would have co-hosted this morning but they told her no! They told her no! WTF is wrong with them. She should have given one last show for the viewer.

But who really would have been involved in not agreeing to increase Lisa’s pay? Hugh Marks? Darren Wick? Mark Calvert?

It looks like they have chosen someone that will bring little controversy. I dare say Sylvia, would has openly spoke out about bullying since joining Today, would have been trolled today about/for Lisa departure. In saying that, Sylvia is visibly upset this morning about Lisa’s resignation.

4 Likes

Fitzy snd Wippa talking about the Telegraph’s headline “I Break Up With Today” and suggested tomorrow’s headline will be “The Deb Knight Rises” :joy:

10 Likes

I agree I was shocked I went to bed at 11 Honolulu time last night so I just missed all this, come on this morning and there’s a shitload of stuff about Lisa leaving I’m like Wtf is this. Deb would be a great replacement but GG is still up there. I’m sure calls will be made all day today!

2 Likes

Hear, hear, I say.

4 Likes

He probably polled those in his living room.

Concept: Lee Lee Chin hosting Today.

17 Likes

Seems Pete Ford was half right when he said this:

Just the wrong host!

TBH, I can’t see Karl renewing his contract now that Lisa is gone.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Peter Ford reporting Georgie Gardner is the “market research” choice. Sylvia Jefferies is in the running and “the other wild card I’ve heard about is Chris Bath”.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Wot

3 Likes

Half right or way off the mark? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nine will be doing everything in their power to keep Karl now. His every move will be scrutinised too. People will be asking whether Karl is worth what he is being paid and how much Lisa had been contributing to his continued success in that role.

1 Like

If Deb was to take over as the weekday host permanently (just speculating), then could Georgie possibly take weekends? Afterall, didn’t Cameron Williams host WT while also presenting on Nine News Sydney on Fridays and Saturdays.

2 Likes

If Deb were to take over Weekday host. Jayne cannot take over Weekends. She really isn’t good enough. Who else could take over weekends? I think Georgie is a not an option at all.

3 Likes

Karl paid tribute to Lisa on Today around 7.30am.

They will probably have a ratings spike today but then what? Steady or down?

2 Likes

Georgie would only host weekdays, Nine would be nuts to have her on weekends. Nine probably have there line up as Georgie, Deb then Sylvia. Negotiations would have to be made. Surely the audience wants someone with a familiar face they’ve got to known over the years. IMO Sylvia isn’t ready to be the full time co-host already bad enough filling in.

1 Like

It was handled very well from the team wishing Lisa good luck this morning.

9 Likes

Peter Ford told 3AW this morning that Lisa was earning $1.05 million per year. Nine offered a pay rise of $50,000 p.a., but Lisa wanted some kind of pay parity with Karl who is paid $5 million over 3 years (or around $1.7 million p.a.) It will be interesting to see what Ten’s pay offer is.

Personally l would love Deb to replace Lisa bur she was overlooked in 2014 when Georgie left.
Disagree about Jayne she is more than capable to host with Tom and they have a great rapport on air in my opinion.
But another option for weekends could be Amelia Adams.

4 Likes

Anyone with a long memory will remember Bath (and Juanita Phillips, for a mooted co-hosting role with Peter Overton) were rumoured to be very close to signing with Nine in 2005 for a Today role - Phillips in about August when Karl and Tracy’s ratings were so appalling (they got worse the next year) and Bath once Tracy had thrown in the towel.

Bath of course famously said she wouldn’t want to wake up that early … having done Sunrise and Sunday Sunrise for quite some time in the late 90s and early 00s. She has also said that she prefers late nights, so would she want to leave a comfortable radio job for breakfast TV?

Of course … money talks!

1 Like