Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Not going to happen. They are literally hopeless. I go back to sleep with Today.

2 Likes

Welcome back Karl:
https://twitter.com/getkrackinshow/status/1105652904617111552?s=20

Opps, wrong show.

2 Likes

Thursday (14.03.2019): Tom Steinfort is live outside the Melbourne Supreme Court with special coverage on the Pell sentence and Boris Ristevski pleading guilty for manslaughter of his wife. Georgie and Deb are reading the rest of the day’s news and Tony Jones is on today with sport, live in Melbourne.

Noteworthy comment from @KevinPerry :

9 Likes

Another very poor result for Today; one of its lowest numbers and over 90,000 behind Sunrise. Around only 20,000 ahead of News Breakfast and that wasn’t shown in Perth on ABC1 due to the Pell coverage.

2 Likes

News Breakfast overtakes Today in the morning. https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/tv/abc-overtakes-today-in-the-morning/ar-BBUK8i6?li=AA59yp

4 Likes

Not really a fair comparison considering the Pell coverage on Breakfast television in Perth would’ve skewed those figures.

1 Like

Maybe. But it’s clear that News Breakfast is on the verge of overtaking the Today show. I believe it already has in Adelaide, and it’s very close in Melbourne and Perth. It also came second in Brisbane the other day.

5 Likes

ABC Breakfast wasn’t shown on the main channel in Perth yesterday so the result for Today could have been worse.

2 Likes

I’m suprised @blackbox hasn’t mentioned this on his podcasts.

I’ve been keeping an eye on it, actually been working up an article on it. I think we’re now looking at a three-horse race at breakfast. Certainly unthinkable a year ago

8 Likes

It isn’t panick mode at Today and it shouldn’t be jubilation for News Breakfast just yet.

Those figures reported are national results, not the acclaimed 5-city metro measure. Yes, News Breakfast has been getting year-on-year growth and has frequently been beating Today in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth for this year. However, you also have to take into account of News Breakfast having a live channel, all year, and what your stance is regarding a show simulcasting and how a ratings result is calculated (Family Fued was criticised heavily for this).

Credit where it is due.

Any chance of comparing the regional ratings which would include breakfast on Sky News on WIN, and if it is catching up on Today?

I have to be honest and say that if I was running Today I would be in panic mode. The trend isn’t good. It’s one thing to start low and climb, but it’s going from bad to worse. And there’s also the perception of how you’re performing. You’re absolutely right about the national figure which is why I haven’t written anything up yet, but there is a growing perception Today is sinking… and that narrative loses trust with viewers who keep seeing those headlines.

6 Likes

If it isn’t panic stations now then what figure will make them panic?

While the current ratings for Today aren’t great (being beaten by Sunrise in Sydney - a market Nine otherwise dominate - is absolutely shameful), it’s also well worth remembering that at this time three years ago, we were all talking about how Today was enjoying ratings success for the first time in many years while Nine primetime struggled with programs like Australia’s Got Talent failing to fire.

But right here and now, News Breakfast can sometimes be a bit overly formal and stuffy while Sunrise is sometimes incredibly wacky to the point that you wonder if it’s a serious news/current affairs-based breakfast program or actually aimed at children. Nine should be positioning Today as the “Goldilocks” breakfast program - one that still takes their coverage of news & current affair seriously, while still having fun when appropriate.

1 Like

I agree with the others. They should be panicking. If things don’t improve soon, we could be looking at a complete new line up for 2020 (On and off screen).

Move it to Melbourne. Nothing to lose.

Sports with Tony Jones. Except he didn’t read any sports news. :roll_eyes:

Sunrise was ahead by +60,000 yesterday; Today had its highest number for 2 weeks but still rated less than 200,000.

2 Likes

I only say move it to Melbourne as there was a story somewhere in recent months which was talking about the ‘Melbourne Phenomenon’ with local productions getting more viewers when shows are produced in their own backyard and used ‘The Block’ and ‘Hey Hey’ as examples which at the end of the day boosted national figures.