Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I think the set looks good especially for another 18 months. My guess is the average viewer doesn’t care about the set.

I am disappointed that other than the presenters the show still looks and acts exactly the same as before. This was really a great opportunity to introduce viewers to an actually revamped program.

3 Likes

Surely Nine would have the blueprints for the new studio in North Sydney.
There is no reason they can’t design and construct a set that would easily be adjustable to the new studio when it comes time to move.
The argument ‘all shows will get new sets when they move’ is nonsense.

2 Likes

I would guess its more that there isn’t really downtime for most sets to be moved unless there was an OB but they still need to have rehearsals at new locations even with an identical set

Relocating a set would be even quicker than installing a brand new set. We’re talking about trucking a set 5km down the road.
As with every other Today show set change, do an OB for a week, and rehearsals over the weekend.
I recall the old Nine News set was moved into a different studio within 1 day whilst their new set was being constructed.

The 6pm News will keep their set with the relocation. It is constructed mainly around screens, so they are versatile for design and can be cramped in or spread out.

As for Today, I am hoping we get a more open windowed studio (like Brekky Central) from the North Sydney studio. Hopefully, the only thing they transfer from TCN is their new soft set. Had Today launched an entire new set today, not only would it mean reorganising it after the move, but MS would have slammed them next year for a lackluster launch.

I personally think anything less than totally new sets (including for the 6pm news, even though the chances of that one being kept are reasonably high) for North Sydney would be a major disappointment.

This move is going to be a major event not just for Nine, but Australian television. The end of the facilities TCN has been in since (almost) going on the air and the beginning of a new era, which deserves to be celebrated with viewers in some way.

Yeah they should do that, just because you want them to.

1 Like

When GTV moved, I recall Nine News was the only program to receive a new set, and that is because Nine trucked their old set to Darwin, the only O&O station that didn’t have that era of news sets. Other than that, sets were moved from Bendigo to Docklands.

Other than a mention on Nine News, I don’t see the move being much of a celebration to average viewers.

… I’m making a point that the move to Denison Street shouldn’t be stopping them from constructing a new set in Willoughby. I couldn’t care less if they receive a new set now or when they move.

I distinctively remember there being a “Farewell to GTV Studio 9” type special airing nationally around the end of 2010, something similar to mark the end of the Willoughby studios (looking back at the many programs produced at TCN over the years, etc.) would be good IMO.

Don’t you think it makes more sense for Nine to slightly modify their existing Today set (which is what they’ve done) and save money up for a more significant investment of a new multipurpose set (which will likely be used for more than just Today, just as the current one is) rather than spend money now on a completely new set which will have to be shipped down the road in 18 months or so?

Some of the Studio 22 set pieces currently in use will probably be eight or more years old by the time TCN moves to North Sydney, so a good opportunity to upgrade to a set with newer/more advanced technology than the one they got in Early 2012.

2 Likes

They should mix up the backdrop with different scenes of Australia’s nature. You could have some beautiful backdrops and it would fit the morning vibe.

2 Likes

Like TVNZ’s Brekafast backdrops

4 Likes

Yeah but better than that. Desert hues, greens, white sands, aerials, etc.

2 Likes

The best set Today has had was the apartment set. Bring it back.

5 Likes

Could not agree more! Maybe an idea for North Sydney :wink:

I mean is the show even going yellow & blue heavy anymore? If they had changed the panels and even kept the first incarnation of the desk with white and orange lighting, it would look perfect.

1 Like

Graphics update: The weather flipper is back

7 Likes

I dont mind that!
Make the Nine logo white and then they’re on to something :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I like the wrap around screens but the desk with the stool like chairs are horrible and look incredibly awkward as presenters get up and down, they also look uncomfortable, I was watching Breakfast when I was in NZ for work last week.

1 Like