Today (2015-Sept 2020)

The weekend program should be a more looser format anyway. I think David would be perfect for it.

4 Likes

You’re not telling me anything I don’t know. Same reason I hated him hosting the show. He was terrible. He was a left wing activist and wouldn’t let any guest they had on that he disagreed with speak. Terrible, just like Campbell is/will be. Yes he could add a sense of fun to the show but can you imagine breaking news coverage of important news and you’ve got a singer presenting? I would just go with a totally different format on weekends… I.e Sunday Today with Wills Geist.

1 Like

Well, Weekend Sunrise won’t be laughing at Today for David’s appointment, especially when they consider him on of their own.

Yes, you raise a fair point but that would be why he wasn’t given Karl’s job. Weekend Today rarely do rolling coverage anyway and do minimal news segments with the hosts.

So you think Nine should dump Weekend Today on Sunday and resurrect the Sunday program?

That’s messy again.
Makes both WT and Extra look less stable.
Confusing to viewers in amongst all of the other changes.

I wonder if getting a sofa in that smaller studio would be a possibility. It would still look shit but at least get them out from behind that desk.

Or if they need to use an automated space then why not the news studio?

Although I agree, I personally think Nine should still be treating Deborah Knight a lot better than they have been in recent years. It’s to my understanding that Deb has been shafted by Nine at least three times with the axing of Financial Review Sunday, being passed over for the role of Today newsreader in 2014 and to a lesser extent, being passed over for the role as Today co-presenter after doing an excellent job during that awkward post-Wilkinson departure period.

I personally still think Ten should try and get Deb back on their network at the first available opportunity and even wonder if they tried to sign her up as the new weekend newsreader for 2019 before settling on Chris Bath (who I’m sure will be great, because the vast majority of Media Spy including yours truly loves her presenting!).

1 Like

I don’t agree that Nine treat her too badly. She’s basically everywhere. She would have to be one of the most well known personalities at the moment.

She’s been on Today, Weekend Today, National News, Sydney News and even ABC Radio Sydney and 2GB.

I think she’s got it pretty good.

5 Likes

But only one permanent gig at Nine: Sydney weekend news.

1 Like

She was permanent Weekend Today newsreader when she joined Nine and then became the permanent host of Weekend Today with Cameron/ Tom. She’s always had a permanent position at Nine since day one.

1 Like

THAT STUDIO IS TINY! It would not fit weekend today whatsoever. PLUS WT will not be going mosart for a long time… they haven’t even built the templates yet

Deb does not want a ‘real’ full time gig. She likes the flexibility to move around. It suits her family. She loves the variety. Don’t know why some of you don’t understand that. Obviously you guys don’t work with her or at 9.

5 Likes

Why not?

She has said that she would have replaced Lisa permanently but they chose Georgie.

That won’t happen. They worked hard to establish the Today brand by rebranded Mornings and dropping ‘Weekend’ from Weekend Today.

4 Likes

Poor Dickie looks bereft in some of those pap photos being used by news sites. I remember when he went though his serious phase- more conservative haircut and wearing glasses- in an effort to place himself in the running for Leibo’s job. When was the last time they used him as a fill in co-host on Today?

The “Karl-tastrophe” rolling coverage doesn’t seem like it will end anytime soon. Haven’t seen the press this obsessed by a celebrity since a certain princess Died In A Nasty Accident. Hopefully the Today saga hits a wall soon, too.

Nah. We all work at Channel Seven.:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think he filled in as co-host on Today Extra only a month or two ago, if i’m not mistaken. In any case, I personally don’t think Dickie should even be considered for a co-hosting role. He doesn’t really have any on-air chemistry with Sonia and I just don’t think David should be moved on from the role anyway. Changes shouldn’t be made for changes sake.

2 Likes

I was referring to currently. Her only stable position at Nine is Sydney weekend news, but if that’s what she’s happy doing and filling in here and there then good for her. Though she has said she would’ve liked the co-hosting spot when Lisa left.

2 Likes

Lucky that some members document it, hey? :wink:

November 2016:

1 Like

Today will be broadcast from a special half court set at Melbourne Park. As stated in Nine’s press release for its tennis coverage:

5 Likes

Sunday papers are confirming the Sylvia removal.

Running the risk of turning into a 9 News Perth setup with all these new faces that nobody knows of. That takes 10 years to change that mentality.

It’s going to be a hard slog. Nat and Sam could be there for another decade or two. Going to be hard to beat them but they can only try.

4 Likes