Today (2015-Sept 2020)

[quote=“Salty, post:383, topic:101, full:true”]
Stevie Jacobs co-hosting with Amelia today.
[/quote] Interesting how Amelia said, " I’m in for Deb, Stevie you are in for Pete and Natalia you’re in for yourself…" this morning. Is Wendy Kingston not returning?

1 Like

Monday - Sunrise by 20,000
Tuesday - Today by 20,000
Wednesday - Sunrise by 3,000
Thursday - Today by 40,000+

4 Likes

Thanks. The flip-flop continues

Friday Today by 34,000 with wins in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide.

2 Likes

WARNING: I am going to have a little rant so beware!
The ratings for Today thus far this year are any but disappointing. So far, Today is number 1 for the first time in 12 years! (minus a few wins here and there in 09,11,12,13,13,15) Now that is impressive. But to say I am disappointed with this year’s, to the past 18 months, version of Today is an understatement. IMO, Today is at its’ worst state in the last 5 years.

I am not going to mention what I think of the weekday presenters as most of you all know. All I am going to say is that the two newest members were the wrong choices and more consideration into factors as to who should get the role should have been thought through. For example, when chosing who was going to replace Georgie Gardner on the news an estimate should have been made as to how long the EP expect/ed Lisa to stay as host of the show. By the looks of it Lisa isn’t going anywhere. Instead I am going to jump to the weekend version, and avoid the already jumbled roster for the show. Deborah Knight and Wendy Kingston were one of the best additions ever to Weekend Today since its inception so to think that Wendy isn’t returning is disappointing. I am however glad Cam left Weekend Today as he was passed his use-by-date before the show even began. Peter Stefanovic is an interesting replacement as, from what I have seen, is much more comfortable filling Karl’s seat than Cam’s (maybe it is just the revolving roster). I also believe they need to appoint a sport and weather presenter (since Natalia has somewhat been confirmed as the new newsreader). Have a look at Julie Snook or Emma Freedman as both are in the sports department but have no permanent presenting roles. In doing so, Erin Molan and Yvonne Sampson are good if not better options. And if they want to keep Natalia on the news, my choice for the weather presenter is undecided. I think they should opt for someone a little foolish, ‘funny’ to add a little life to the show- a ROVING weather presenter.

I have recorded Today four times in the past two months (and have watched almost every morning) and I think that Today’s content is the worst it has been since 2010. I know Calvert has removed the multiple (TBH, too many) entertainment and showbiz reports, a move we all here on MS supported. But I am going to pick up on a few segments that are just shocking, boring and really what no one wants to watch. The last three minutes of the first half-hour could be better spent including entertainment as the last resort. I really hate Trending Online, I suppose I have always hated those type segments, at 6.15 and maybe should be moved to after 7.30. The same arrangement should be made to entertainment. I also don’t like the idea of longer sport and weather updates – they seem to drag on- yet include the same information as Sunrise’s wrap-up. I have also noticed that Today has reduced its extended news at 7am by about 5 minutes to allow more remove for News Chat (What’s Making News). Not sure that is the right type of deal to make but on the News Chat agenda- Mark can we please have NEW regulars. Neil Mitchell, Ray Hadley and Eddie McGuire are a little last century. Then post 7.30 the content for Today just jumps off a clip- lifestyle story after lifestyle story after lifestyle story. I am not sure what sort of content Mornings Today Extra has because Today is filled with rubbish. The only bearable segment after 7.30 is the Mixed Grill (however some new regulars here to, so you don’t have to use David Campbell, Sonia Kruger and a member of Today). The last segment of the morning at 9am is okay too. And there is no farewell from Karl and Lisa, Mark, WTF? I do understand why you do it, so there more of a seamless way for the cross from Today to Today Extra, but surely there is a more creative way of doing it? In one aspect, I congratulate Mark on opting to go for a more serious agenda however at the same time the show has more lifestyle than ever before.

Finally to my last point- the on-air appearance. I think the ideas worked theoretically but on air the graphics and the set look awful. I really like the city backdrop behind Lisa and Karl but unfortunately it stops there. The desk is too small thus the camera angles are too tight ; the panels highly contrast each other; the Mornings old set looks so out of place especially with the green backdrop (maybe get one that is the same or similar to the one at the desk) and there are plasma screens so use them. And there seems to be a novelty to having minimum graphics. Both Sunrise and Today over-use them especially the transitions and super. Basically when there are studio shot with the presenter reading there is no need to have a super (some call it banner) up instead wait until the package is played. Once the package is finished- discard the supers.

Mark, I think Today needs a little re-fresh. More new regulars and more new segments (in place of those useless lifestyle stories) such as a newspaper review. This year I think the YouTube channel ‘Today Funny Bits’ will struggle to create more than 5 episodes this year as there seems to be minimum banter (a big NO NO in breakfast). I know none of the above will be done because they are on a running streak. But how about a little bit more of the ‘risky unknown’ as Adam Boland would put it and less of those boring segments. Done!

@nationalnews I don’t always agree with your views but you make lots of valid points today. Today should be congratulated on its winning ratings, but I agree the show is generally a mess. But we all know quality and ratings success don’t always go together. I whole heartedly agree about the graphics, set etc. They’re awful!

1 Like

Deb Knight is returning from maternity leave next weekend.lt will be great to have her back.

3 Likes

[quote=“nationalnews, post:389, topic:101”]
Have a look at Julie Snook or Emma Freedman as both are in the sports department but have no permanent presenting roles.
[/quote] Emma Freedman is the permanent host of Wide World of Sports.

Little rant? :joy:

I think no one cares about Today. That’s the bulk of the problem.

[quote=“Troiboi, post:393, topic:101”]
I think no one cares about Today.
[/quote] Yeah, only 300,000+ metro people each morning… :joy:

2 Likes

As someone who rarely watches much breakfast TV, personally I think that the current On-Air Presentation of Today is far better than Sunrise’s current look. Throw things at me right now! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know, but personally I think that the current On-Air Presentation of Sunrise feels very clunky and more like something that launched in February 2013 rather than February 2016. In contrast, I think that the On-Air Presentation of Today has a cleaner, more contemporary look and feel. Plenty of movement but not so much that it’s overbearing, which could be said about Sunrise’s current look and yes, even some elements of Today’s previous packages.

As far as the presenters are concerned, that brings us to what I think Sunrise does best - a presenting team that appeals to a fairly wide national audience. IMO, Today is absolutely doing the right thing by bringing in presenters like Queenslander Sylvia Jefferies to make the program more appealing to a national audience and less of “a Sydney show” as it seemed to be when the likes of Georgie Gardner and Ben Fordham (both of whom are very Sydney personalities, thanks to their roles on Nine News Sydney Friday/Saturday and 2GB Drive respectively) dominated the team a few years ago. As I said before, it’s probably no coincidence that Today is rating better nationally these days compared to a few years ago because of such presenter choices.

Content wise I’m not really big on either Sunrise or Today and would probably prefer it if more Australians woke up to ABC News Breakfast and as far as mid-morning television is concerned, tune into Studio 10 if they’re at home for it.

Of course you (and probably many others) will most likely completely disagree with my opinion but each to their own! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Today won nationally last week by 15,000 with wins in Sydney and Melbourne.

2 Likes

Weekend Sunrise continued its winning streak yesterday. While the figures initially look close, the ‘late’ part of WS must’ve been quite a deal ahead of the corresponding part of Today judging by the ratings of other shows in the top 20.

Oh sorry. I didn’t read your whole post. Too many words. I thought it was a negative comment.

:joy:

I am looking forward to Deb’s return next weekend - she hasn’t had that much time off. At least it will bring some normality to show. I do agree the show really needs a sport presenter to complete the ensemble.

1 Like

[quote=“mattrobts, post:399, topic:101”]
I am looking forward to Deb’s return next weekend - she hasn’t had that much time off. At least it will bring some normality to show.
[/quote] Absolutely, and hope Wendy will return too in the coming months. Mark Calvert needs to be aware that, while is it really good to give upcoming talent a chance at presenting, breakfast is certainly not the place to do it. If they get a new news/weather presenter (if Wendy doesn’t return) I think they can get away with either Pete or the newsreader presenting sport.

1 Like

Looking at Lisa’s twitter she is in New York for Huffington Post (her other job),not sure when she is returning.

On Friday OB from New Farm Park in Brisbane.

2 Likes

confused. This morning you say she’s not returning, now you indicate that she may be.
Which one is it???

[quote=“Salty, post:401, topic:101”]
Looking at Lisa’s twitter she is in New York for Huffington Post (her other job),not sure when she is returning.
[/quote] Not sure how reliable this is but someone on Facebook commented on the ‘This Week’ promo and said Lisa is returning this week.

Lisa is hitting back at a source claiming there is a rift between Wilkinson and newsreader Sylvia Jeffreys. No doubt that Georgie and Lisa are closer friends and I am sure deep down there is a little intimidation for both parties, but I believe Lisa when she says they are great mates. Lisa spoke to the journo about this source and he agreed that jealously for the ratings had something to do with it. In reference to Brekky Central, Boland said on numerous occasions emails were leaked to the press when he was Seven, most well known was the plan to refresh Sunrise with Kylie, Matt White and Monique Wright during a time Boland was publically unwell. He knows the time of the release wasn’t a coincidence and pointed the finger at three people - Michael Pell, Peter Meakin and David Leckie. Funny how there is a familiar name in that list-given the Eddy/Sam saga- Michael Pell… Childish.

1 Like

I think this all but confirms Lisa is back on Monday 2.05.16 after six days away.
https://twitter.com/SylviaJeffreys/status/726727515717300224

And another source about the reported ‘rift’:

2 Likes