Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I hope they’ll do some tweaking to the set the panels on either side where Tim and Sylvia sit are just awful and the desk is disgusting.

1 Like

Seems the Today Promo was inspired by BBC Breakfast

1 Like

Inspired or identical? Pretty much the same promo just bits have been cut out!

4 Likes

And yet, the BBC one seems to work better.

7 Likes

How do people keep their jobs? Blatant rip-off. Wish I could get paid well to steal ideas from good broadcasters.

6 Likes

Holy shit. Surely that’s blatent copyright?

8 Likes

I’m sure that whoever made the promo for/with Nine would have paid a royalty to the creator.

5 Likes

The Today Show isn’t know for originality. What a dead set rip off.

9 Likes

Reminds me of when Southern Cross SA when Tim Hatfield was COS/anchor blatantly ripped off a TVNZ ad from the 2000s. Just poor.

You’d hope as @TV.Cynic said, they have compensated the original copyright holder (does BBC outsource any of its creative?).

3 Likes

Can’t help but think that would have been Tim McMillan’s role if he was still around. Nonetheless Ragless is doing a great job.

4 Likes

Nah it’s just an idea. Around the world TV stations use other’s ideas. Sometimes it’s licensed other times it’s just the concept. It’s no biggie when it’s overseas.

1 Like

Updated promo with VOG

5 Likes

The whole ‘new era’ campaign for Georgie re-joining Today has been really underwhelming IMO.

3 Likes

I don’t get why everything is so heavy themed? It’s a Breakfast show not 60 Minutes. It will be interesting to see if they keep the current theme during the intro during the relaunch. I do prefer the 2012-15 theme even though it was described as ‘Sleazy make out music’. By Lisa Wilkinson lol.

3 Likes

I honestly can’t see Today being successful in ratings this year as long as Karl is there. They can heavily promote Georgie joining but that isn’t going to do anything when he is still there.

DISCLAIMER: MediaSpy cannot be held responsible for any legal cases that arise as a result of members following this advice.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m not really big on the current string-heavy tune used for the Openers of Today. Fair enough, Nine might’ve wanted a more serious sound for the news headlines but couldn’t they have gone with a “morning” version of the Nine News theme or something?

I wonder if anyone out there has a clean copy of that theme music (and/or the one used for Today’s Openers before that) because I’d love to hear it! :slight_smile:

Personally I think it’ll be a hit in Sydney (the market where viewers are most familiar with Georgie Gardner), but probably receive a lukewarm response elsewhere.

Also, I don’t know why but for some reason I’m getting the impression that the Georgie & Karl era of Today might only last a year or so. At the very most, it’ll be lucky to last half as long as the Karl & Lisa era did IMO.

2 Likes

I get the feeling the poor promo department’s brief has been a bit vague on Georgie joining Karl and that’s probably because the ‘new era’ is really just talk.

I can’t see Nine taking too much of risk and changing Today’s format significantly; it’s not as if it was thrashed in the ratings when Lisa was there. And afterall the 7-9 am published ratings are just part of the story. I think if you take into account the Early Today vs Early Sunrise and then factor in results for the 25-54 demo etc there hasn’t been much difference in the last two years between the breakfast shows. Why risk alienating viewers with a change? Just pump out some vague promos about “new” but don’t really change anything content wise.

4 Likes

Anyone noticed the new animation on the HD add on at the end of the promo? Looks like it’s ripped seven’s old logo animation from around 2009.

Tim is also hosting the afternoon coverage of the Santos Tour Down Under in Adelaide.

4 Likes