Today (2015-Sept 2020)

So Peter Ford is saying (what many here also think) that Georgie Gardner is leading the race for The Today Show.

Would Deborah Knight do both Weekend Today & Nine News Sydney on weekends?

Pete also said Chirs Bath is the other name being discussed.

2 Likes

I thought Georgie Gardner made it clear she wasn’t interested in subjecting herself to the rigours of breakfast television when she left the Today news reading gig? She seems quite happy being second in line to the 6pm Sydney news reading chair.

Chris Bath has the perfect personality for the role but it seemed hosting the frivolous incarnation of Sunrise was beneath her.

Lisa’s replacement will need to close in age to Karl. I’m not sure female viewers will be comfortable seeing him on screen with a much younger woman given the bad publicity surrounding his marriage break up.

9 Likes

I’d love to see Rebecca Maddern on The Today Show.

Yes, I know she doesn’t live in Sydney, but she used to fly to Sydney regualrly for Sunrise / TMS over many years, to either fill-in on news or co-host.

Especially with her national presence again on ratings juggernaut Ninja Warrior.

And given many suggest The Footy Show is on its final legs?

Remember when she made the shock move to Nine two years ago, she said “I’ll be focussing on The Footy Show for the first year, then we’ll see” (when asked about News - her speciality). Anyone know what happened with that?

Nine cops backlash after Lisa Wilkinson quits Today
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/nine-cops-backlash-after-lisa-wilkinson-quits-today/news-story/18e9aeab3aaf1005514520f323b41cb5

Lisa is all smiles after shock Today resignation.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/lisa-wilkinson-leaves-channel-9-after-wage-talks-break-down/news-story/9af2cefa0958e47a8559f42d0bad34fe

Lisa Wilkinson had ‘the best sleep in 10 years’
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/lisa-wilkinson-had-the-best-sleep-in-10-years/news-story/f15a4db1882fdeec7a0f075209482202

Lisa Wilkinson’s huge Channel 10 payday
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/lisa-wilkinsons-big-ch-10-payday/news-story/f67bf6d369afd39cc94778a234a611c4

At least Deb Knight sitting there this morning, knows how it feels (although different circumstances).

After being canned by Ten in late 2011.

The very first axing, of what would be a few years of disaster at that network.

3 Likes

Twitter & FB pages have got rid of Lisa.

6 Likes

overseas reaction:

4 Likes

edited
Book makers already opening markets :roll_eyes:

Carrie Bickmore at $5.

Sophie Monk even a contender!

Along with all the other potentials already named here:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/carrie-bickmore-5-to-replace-lisa-wilkinson-on-today/news-story/a625e78c6eaf81cebd8753ab455bdd53

1 Like

My favourite television personality, good to see her get in a run in it

Edit: Luke edited the original post and now this joke doesn’t work; I hate the internet

8 Likes

I reckon they’ll take their time with it, definitely keeping an eye on ratings with Deb to see if they boost.

I do think they need to make a play for someone else though.

3 Likes

Even though neither presenter is Peter Overton, both Georgie Gardner and Deborah Knight are still very important to the success of Nine News Sydney - the management of the bulletin would be idiots not to realise that!

Chris Bath & Melissa Doyle? They’ve already done breakfast TV and seem happy with their current media roles, so cross those names out.

Regardless of who they pick, I really hope Karl Stefanovic will do the honourable thing and leave Today at the end of this year. But especially after they’ve lost Lisa, Nine will definitely be doing everything they can to keep Karl!

4 Likes

Absolutely spot on, and the taking their time comment too.

I thought Carrie is (or was) Ten’s biggest star, along with the MasterChef judges, probably with a lucrative contract?

So if Nine even contemplated it, it’d surely be near impossible.

She was very natural with Karl after her Gold Logie win on Today a few years ago. Carrie is very popular, got all the looks and talent and multi-award winning, plus all her heartbreaking back story and cancer work.

But I reckon it won’t happen, especially with last night’s Tweet, I’d say indicative of where Carrie’s thoughts are at.

I doubt Carrie would uproot her family to move to Sydnet to work on Today. Her partner’s jobs are also in Melbourne.

That would be fantastic, but between Stefanovic’s ego and Nine’s boys club mentality it won’t happen. There’ll probably be a lot of nonsense about needing “stability” (or something) after Wilkinson’s departure used as an excuse to retain him.

If they put Jeffreys in the chair the show is probably doomed. As I said upthread, she’s a lightweight (if that). Almost anyone but her.

Hopefully Deborah Knight will stay in her current roles, where she’s excellent.

2 Likes

I’ve never understood what value they see in Karl. Lisa was the key to any success the show has had in recent years. The show was failing when he was paired with Tracey, Sarah Murdoch and Jessica Rowe. Hugh Marks is an idiot. I hope the resulting dive in ratings and revenue and the headaches that will result in finding someone to balance out Karl’s blokey stupidity is worth letting Lisa walk.

6 Likes

He sort of got thrown in the deep end when Gyngell stepped down.

Looks a bit lost as a TV CEO if you ask me.

–

Also I do agree, that it’s a strong possibility Nine will poach someone from Seven or Ten, that’s a vast array of possibilities.

It will come down to whose contracts are expiring/who wants to exit, etc?

Kylie Gillies? Monique Wright? Sarah Harris? Chris Bath? Mel Doyle? Sarah Cumming? Sally Obermeder?

I can’t disagree with this. Karl Stefanovic is (more or less) the Samantha Armytage of the Nine Network.

I’d be willing to predict that the new female co-presenter of Today will not be any of those names you mentioned.

1 Like

It probably won’t happen. If it did, Ben Fordham would most likely succeed Stefanovic, which would be dystopia for breakfast TV.

1 Like

Perhaps Carrie (upon being told about the news), said “I’m still hosting or I’m out”?

Surely Ten would’ve otherwise put Lisa as the main host next to Waleed straight away?

That’s worded wildly, but do you know what I mean?

I’d expect Ten to announce other new news shows from next year, with Lisa front and centre?

You really should read the comments made by others in these threads and you wouldn’t need to ask all these questions? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They wouldn’t want to replace Carrie with Lisa anyway.

Lisa is still contracted to Nine and will not be able to work at Ten until January 2018 but they don’t want to replace Carrie.

Ten alluded to that in the statement and there have been about 50 million comments about that already. So far we hear that Lisa will host The Sunday Project, will make two other appearances weekdays on The Project and do interviews.

Not really but we’re used to that from you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like