Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I understand that it is non-ratings period and it was a public holiday, but when they hit ~215k earlier in the week, I don’t know if that figure is tolerable (it is a good article which breaks down each metro market and Today actually did well in Perth, @BJT2 ).

Perhaps, the show wasn’t light or loose enough on Friday (disclaimer- I didn’t watch). I know I saw that segment where they were smashing an oversized easter egg. Good idea, but Sunrise was doing that when Mel was there. Tired idea.

1 Like

They made the same mistake after the break

Fairly sure Karl and Lisa were doing this about 7 or 8 years ago too. Like you said, a tired idea

3 Likes

What should it have been?

The Morning Show beat the TODAY show on Friday.

2 Likes

Anyone got the paywall article for Karl apparently appearing at the Logies?

And The Drum is probably beating Today on some days. But so what - they are on at different times, as are Today and The Morning Show.

A morning show should not outrate a breakfast show. I’m shocked that you don’t see the enormity of this.

2 Likes

Do you have any ratings for Ten for their shows from 6:00am to 8:30am? Does Studio 10 rate higher?

Nothing on before Studio 10 would outrate it… the ratings are VERY low for 10 in the mornings before Studio 10 starts. B&B does ok though

1 Like

Monday (22.04.2019) - Friday (26.04.2019): Tom Steinfort is co-hosting with Deb, as Georgie is now on holidays. Brett McLeod is reading the news and sport.

Lara Vella is on weather duties.

3 Likes

We used to have so many good fill ins on the News over the last few years (Deb, Alicia Loxley, Natalia, Lara, Wendy Kingston, Aislin Kruikelis). I get just about none of them are avaliable now, but why are they going for the worst people fill ins for breakfast tv?

4 Likes

Easter Monday -

Renae Henry has arrived in Sri Lanka and her report was from the airport.

4 Likes

Agreed.
But surely Lara, Jayne (who I don’t think has ever filled in on weekdays) or Tim Davies would be available to read the news. Not a fan of Mark Burrows or Brett McLeod.

Tim Davies would be the obvious. Clearly they want a male. He’s now part of the Today regulars. Natalia had often filled in as a newsreader when she was weekend weather presenter.

2 Likes

Exactly. Using him would expose him more to viewers, as he certainly is a young and rising star. He would be my choice.

I wonder what their plans are for Natalia when she returns. Will she just return to the newsroom? Sonia’s TE fill in?

1 Like

As reliefs is one of my many triggers, I like to settle on that Today’s philosophy for substitutes is ‘never get someone to fill-in if they are more capable or more talented than the permanent presenter’. So, Deb, Alicia, Amber and Wendy used to fill-in for Georgie. Then when Sylvia came along, a shift happened in the substitutes and less experienced presenters like Aislin, Lara and Natalia filled in for her. Now that we have Tom, they have to resort to the likes of Mark Burrows.

Tim would be great. But is having a tunneled vision of finding a male substitute the best course of action when there are several female presenters (Alicia Loxley, Wendy Kingston, Tracy Vo, Amelia Adams, Davina Smith) who would run rings around any male candidate.

Brett was an improvement on Mark. And that is all that I asked for. :+1:

4 Likes

4 Likes

He’s miles better then Burrows. I don’t think I’ve seen him read before on Today. Hopefully he has good chemistry with the team.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind Deb and Tom today, and I’m not generally a big fan of his - though I think they need to focus on the 3 presenter line-up a little more and less on a specific news reader type position IMO.

Lara Vella is a great fit for the team in the news reading position and adding to the conversation and general vibe.

2 Likes