Today (2015-Sept 2020)

And here we thought Sunrise looked ugly…

The soft set is great, everything else is blurgh.

Agree that the new soft set is the best change they’ve made to the studio, don’t mind the desk now but it still looks so small.

Is that a new plasma on the LHS side of the set in the wide shot, or does it just have a new frame which matches the front of the desk? It looks like a rise has been built into the front of it also, which looks good.

The oversaturated backdrop and vertical panels look very WIN News esque when you compare their presenter backdrop and social media images such as this one which is a bad thing IMO.

3 Likes

Still same old content and format as last year. :roll_eyes: It is as if they think the only reason they weren’t rating last week was because of an OB. It needs improving and the pace needs to pick up.

Nothing new over that side- they have been using that plasma since 2017. It is a part of the WWOS set.

Glad that they are finishing the show at the soft set. It is certainly the best thing about the set.

Great to have Stevie back. During one of his crosses- where Stevie and Dickie were transporting from Bondi to the studio- Stevie joked that it was best that they didn’t get an Uber.

1 Like

The move to North Sydney will be the time for Nine to do an almost Ten 2018-like relaunch (except with elements like logos & channel names remaining intact) by giving most facets of the network’s branding a facelift. But for now, I’m OK with this refreshed look for Today.

Really hate that new backdrop. They need to have something real, set up a camera in a city somewhere. These artificial pictures look bad!!

3 Likes
2 Likes

@Travis The corner of George and Park Sts looking great.

The generic city backdrop with grey skyscrapers reminds me of something from the mid 2000s.

And for whatever reason, Tom is back in the left side of the desk?!

Because it makes more sense.

Hmm, I’m quite mixed on this set. I always have thought that where the new soft set is, they could have actually moved a new desk there as that area looks quite nice.

The screen area on the left is crap and has always looked out of place imo. The desk is better with the incorporation of the logo, still average though.

Sorry to say, but I was always never expecting much and I’m predicting apart from changes such as incorporation of a window some are going to be very disappointed when they move to North Sydney too.

3 Likes

It seems that the look of the Today of 2019 will be characterised by a slightly modified desk, nondescript background and bland graphics (I mostly don’t care!). And, based on this morning, the content mix will remain pretty much the same as that which accompanied the low ratings last year. This morning could have seen some new segments, different approaches to presentation, and a signal to the viewers that this is the breakfast show to watch.

However, it looks like Nine are going to try and hold the line as far as content is concerned and hope better ratings come from a more likeable team. I think there is a lost opportunity here to innovate in other areas.

11 Likes

Agreed, it’s nice. That should be the permanent area… just put some robotic arms back on the sides of the couch for the laptops like they used too… and you’re done!

1 Like

I think the set looks good especially for another 18 months. My guess is the average viewer doesn’t care about the set.

I am disappointed that other than the presenters the show still looks and acts exactly the same as before. This was really a great opportunity to introduce viewers to an actually revamped program.

3 Likes

Surely Nine would have the blueprints for the new studio in North Sydney.
There is no reason they can’t design and construct a set that would easily be adjustable to the new studio when it comes time to move.
The argument ‘all shows will get new sets when they move’ is nonsense.

2 Likes

I would guess its more that there isn’t really downtime for most sets to be moved unless there was an OB but they still need to have rehearsals at new locations even with an identical set

Relocating a set would be even quicker than installing a brand new set. We’re talking about trucking a set 5km down the road.
As with every other Today show set change, do an OB for a week, and rehearsals over the weekend.
I recall the old Nine News set was moved into a different studio within 1 day whilst their new set was being constructed.

The 6pm News will keep their set with the relocation. It is constructed mainly around screens, so they are versatile for design and can be cramped in or spread out.

As for Today, I am hoping we get a more open windowed studio (like Brekky Central) from the North Sydney studio. Hopefully, the only thing they transfer from TCN is their new soft set. Had Today launched an entire new set today, not only would it mean reorganising it after the move, but MS would have slammed them next year for a lackluster launch.

I personally think anything less than totally new sets (including for the 6pm news, even though the chances of that one being kept are reasonably high) for North Sydney would be a major disappointment.

This move is going to be a major event not just for Nine, but Australian television. The end of the facilities TCN has been in since (almost) going on the air and the beginning of a new era, which deserves to be celebrated with viewers in some way.

Yeah they should do that, just because you want them to.

1 Like