Ticker News

Yeh cheers, def love what Cheddar does, as well as Yahoo Finance. I think the Aust market is very different though. For starters, we don’t have a big bustling open stock exchange to host from.

But also in terms of streaming, we don’t have things like Pluto and Sling that helped Cheddar along. So we’re def keen on the under 45 tech and biz viewers.

4 Likes

what streaming platforms will these be on?

Currently broadcasting on our website www.tickertv.com.au - Youtube Live, Twitter Live.

But In a week or so (App Store approval dependent) we’ll have Apple TV, Android TV and Android devices. We have had an iOS app from the get go, but that’s currently being replaced as well.

LinkedIn LIVE coming shortly as well.

But it’s not all about live, with people often watching snippets or ten minutes etc. So we go heavily down that path too.

2 Likes

I’m sure Fetch would carry you in some form they are open to new ideas like virtual channels and apps

1 Like

Yeh we’ve got a list of targets. Main aim is to get our production to a point I’m happy with, the new studios will make that happen.

2 Likes

Applaud you for taking the step and doing something innovative and new.

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s a lot of fun!

3 Likes

and there’s plenty more to come!

i was just reading your article about tv needing to be ultra local and i agree with every thing you said . its a great read and one every one including those in tv biz needs to read . it is food for thought

1 Like

This one you mean? Tech has never been more accessible for TV. You look back to the 80s before aggregation and everything was local. I get why they went national etc, but now with better tech, TV stations can get their local identity back without costing a fortune.

4 Likes

also i saw part of your interview rergarding stan being the only local streaming service . my question is due you think the way tv is at and going atm that streaming services will eventually take over , and if so do you think there should more local shows on the streaming services???

Yes, I really don’t think “broadcasting” will last much longer the way we know it. 5G will open it up. I have a 65 inch TV and most standard def FTA channels are unwatchable due to low bandwidth they use, whereas I put my Apple TV on and everything is in HD or ultra HD.

I said to James Manning on our Mediaweek show today that I agree that local streaming services need more Aussie content, but not at the expense of a higher price. I’m not sure Aussies will pay $25 for local content compared to just having Netflix for $10. But Stan’s deal with Showtime is up soon, and with so many of the US media companies launching their own streaming services (and inevitably bringing them here), Stan might need to make their local content because there’s no other choice.

Personally, I think the cost of making television has become ridiculous and is why we have so many stripped reality shows.

2 Likes

People deserve to get paid adequately I think there isn’t enough incentives and funding for local content though.

Absolutely, again, I’m not saying people shouldn’t be paid right. Quite the opposite. A lot of legacy issues are in place, content deals etc that aren’t required anymore. Cut those and pay your local staff more, is my point, and experience.

2 Likes

Anecdotally, I think people are starting to tire of Netflix a bit. To much junky hyper American content and no captivating premium drama since the Crown. Netflix can compete on price with junk content, Stan could charge more for better premium content from Australia, the UK and US.

Stan needs to stop making poorly written dramas with names consisting of ‘The XYZ’. Where’s the innovative food show or comedy or risky edgy drama? They’re playing it too safe. It would be so easy to reboot Food Safari for the Instagram generation, etc.

1 Like

I agree, Netflix is in a tricky spot, under attack on all fronts. But they are a household name. And they seem to believe their “programming by algorithm” is working.

Stan’s issue is it’s the easy one to drop when households want to try Amazon, Disney etc. It’s what I did! I’d love to see more Aussie content on there, but if you look at the number of subs Foxtel has compared to Netflix, it seems that many Aussies put price over local content. Which is why I said we need to find a way to bring costs down without impacting jobs or quality.

I know that sounds pie in the sky, but I really believe it is possible. Think real estate, backend costs, etc etc. We corporatised the media, costs sky rocketed. Now the money has disappeared.

1 Like

Media companies being publicly listed and needing constant profit margins just doesn’t work anymore

2 Likes

Incentives often encourage poor quality, almost minimum effort content to meet a politically driven quota. I agree wholeheartedly that we need local content, but we need to lift the bar in terms of its quality.

(This is possibly a discussion for another thread)

I suspect many pay for content (via whichever streaming service) because they perceive the quality of what’s available to be better then what is “free”, it’s also potentially more convenient.

There’s little reason why local content cant be part of that

2 Likes

that the reason why i pay for netflix foxtel stan and disney + they all have better quality then whats on free tv. and the local content is why i stil pay for foxtel. i dont mind that money goes to local dramas being made by foxtel or stan for that matter . dont forget stan did commession bloom which was made 20 minutes from where i live

@Ahron is on the money here:

Sports codes need to stop relying on TV network income. The old model is coming to an end very fast. They too, should be looking to streaming and direct to customer.

It’s something I’ve noticed looming for a long while.