This Is Your Life

He was a very nasty man in Prisoner to Meg……from memory he raped her and then went on to play governor of Blackmoor prison and another bad ass gangster

3 Likes

I see that Seven still haven’t corrected the spelling mistake in the title of tonight’s show in their EPG. Celebrating a life with the wrong name.

Spelling in the description is correct.

In this very special edition, we celebrate one of Australia’s best-known, and most-loved, personalities: Ray Meagher.

The Big Red Book is certainly back tonight:

5 Likes

Mel Doyle had the Red Book when she “surprised” Ray Meagher on the Home and Away set. Then was on the couch the whole time during tonights show. The book was not opened once.

Speaking of tonights show, overall a good show. Meagher is such a down to earth and lovable guy. But there are way too many guests to talk about him, but a majority of them have one quick story to Meagher (in what feels like 15 seconds each on the couch) and are off to the side. Despite being 100 minutes long, it seemed a little too rushed.

Did Nine’s version with Mike Munro have this many guests, or were there just a handful who actually had stories to tell?

It was fixed up within the 24 hours before broadcast, saw it updated myself earlier this evening, via ATN7.

I flamin’ loved that. What a show. Clearly he’s really respected by his former and current cast mates with pretty much everyone in the current cast either on the show or in the audience. Loved it!

2 Likes

Loved this episode.
Confirmed for me that Mel is the perfect choice as host. The live band was also great tonight. I felt their choice of music for intros/entrances was spot on, and added a nice feel.
Well done.

3 Likes

Replay of this?

The subject is definitely the make or break of this show. Ray a perfect choice.

It’s a shame they rush through the guests so quickly. Example - Judy Nunn. I’d have loved much more with ‘Alf and Ailsa!’

4 Likes

I recorded the episode and watched it last night. Great show. It was interesting to hear Ray talking about his early years and his rugby union career before turning to acting.

Too many guests meant some stories didn’t make it to air due to length, perhaps Seven should consider posting the unseen extras on 7plus?

4 Likes

That’s a very good idea. It was obvious a lot more was said but it was cut to allow more guests.

4 Likes

Yeah that is a good idea. But to start with they need to reduce the guest amount, so then they don’t run into this problem with the show already being 90+ mins

2 Likes

Any ideas when the remaining episodes will air? Is it going to just remain “event tv” and appear now and then, rather than a regular spot?

1 Like

What a terrible episode. I don’t normally watch these shows though seeing as Ray Meagher was the focus I thought I’d give it a go.

It was terribly structured and felt very rushed. Only one anecdote and make sure it’s under a minute. Talk about being underwhelmed. They should have just made it a two hour event, it’s not like there was anything important to watch after the show. You could tell some guests had a lot to say and were looking forward to stay and talk for a while.

Judy Nunn & Georgie Parker looked really settled and you could tell they had many fun stories to tell. Shame we never got to hear them.

Hemsworth & Kwanten sounded like their bits were horribly scripted. Julian McMahon and his terrible fake accent were not needed. I would have much rathered heard more from Judy & Georgie than waste minutes on actors that Ray had obvious no close connection to.

Kate Ritchie looked under duress to be there. She sat a fair way away from Ray and barely looked at him. Very icy. Though some nice network cross promotion.

I thought it was weird not to see Lynne on Stage. Considering she is his co star who has acted alongside him the most and for 30 years her omission was glaring.

Ethan Browne was really not needed, but ever since H&A made him the face of the show I guess it was inevitable. Ray clearly had no relationship with him and the anecdote was rather sad and pathetic for Ethan.

Emily Weir seemed lovely.

Didn’t know Ada was so close to Ray which was nice to learn.

Shame the show didn’t spend much time on his growing up or go in depth in his earlier acting career. I would have liked to have heard more about his family but Ray seemed pretty private.

All in all I won’t be watching the show again. Disappointing, rushed and Melissa Doyle cut too many guests off.

No she wasn’t. Lynne was in the audience. They cut to shots of her reacting regularly.

1 Like

Travis is indeed correct. Lynne was seated with Shane near the front of the audience.

Wow. I feel like you watched a different episode to me.

2 Likes

Maybe 7 is holding off on showing any more until The Block is over.

Inconsistent scheduling and poor planning of episodes will ultimately kill this show for 7.

I don’t necessarily agree with that, if anything if they need to space episodes across the year to get better names on there, like Ray, then it can be “event television” which isn’t every week, but where it makes sense in the schedule, and works around resourcing and talent schedules.

However, one problem with this format is really the subject matter should mostly be older if they are doing it properly, which does not necessarily correlate with attracting younger audiences. Luckily, they look for 25-54 yo demo first which makes that job easier.

I am a bit bleh on having 30/early 40 year olds who are most likely not even halfway through their actual life.

1 Like

Media release says “continuing” in 2023.

The hit revival of one of Australia’s longest running and most loved television series will continue in 2023, with host Melissa Doyle surprising a new collection of famous Australians, including Rebecca Gibney and Tina Arena.

Could mean new episodes or those we haven’t seen yet.

6 Likes