The woes of WIN

Interesting to hear. While this discussion is more for another thread, you’d think the main priority for Nine News Regional would be to improve their ratings position in Southern NSW with an eventual aim to become the dominant source for TV news across the entire state?

From what I’ve heard about the situation up North recently, apparently Nine/NBN is beating Prime7 more often than not up on the Coast (which has likely resulted in Prime7 recently deciding to produce their North Coast bulletin live, so they can have crosses and better compete with Nine/NBN) and even starting to win around two nights a week in Tamworth. Of course, the ratings positions for TV news in Newcastle & Sydney just about go without saying.

But as far as WIN is concerned, I think they might benefit from a major relaunch/repositioning of their remaining local news service towards a younger demographic (which surely is sizeable in Canberra and the Illawarra?) in line with their affiliated network. More fast paced stories, tighter editing, standing presentation, greater use of the online/social media platforms…that sort of thing.

And compared to ABC News ACT in Canberra?

2 Likes

what would CBS do that for?

Surely Bruce building his investment in Nine points to him positioning himself to be able to influence WIN regaining Nine affiliation?

i know 9 doesnt want win back

1 Like

He appears to have no influence at the moment beyond voicing any concerns from the floor at the Nine AGM.

4 Likes

A listing of WIN’s “odd” program choices for their multichannels:
Acropolis Now on Eleven
Some 80s British cop drama (I forgot its name) on ONE
Old obscure 80s telemovies (EW) on Eleven. This lasted for around 2 movies if post research serves anything.
Popular classic US cop dramas on 10 Peach

Maybe WIN should just launch a non-10 multichannel dedicated to 80s and Crawfords programming rather than give them poor respect…

1 Like

Bergerac with John Nettles is the one I think you’re thinking of.

As I see it, if Ten were competitive in the slots where Win has it is going rouge they’d be open to criticism, but they’re not so Win’s tried to be creative whilst spending the bare minimum to find something better than Ten’s offering.

3 Likes

I seem to remember it also being on the main WIN channel over summer some years ago when WIN was still with Nine.

2 Likes

who knows - he tried that at Ten and look where that got him.

1 Like

And where Gordon and Murdoch left Ten afterwards…

In March 2012, WIN axed its Western Australian News due to very tough competition against GWN7 News and ABC News. I would have thought that this was due to the high rising costs of producing local bulletins for WA, given that they are well distant against NSW.
A few years later, South Australian Bulletins, as well as Mildura and Mackay, QLD have been axed. Most staff at WIN SA, Mildura and Mackay have been affected.

2 Likes

Exactly, these days when you drive past the WIN building in Mt Gambier, you can tell hardly anyone works there anymore, there’s hardly any cars in the station’s car park, compared to the old SES-8 days, when the station was busy & there was a excellent local news service.

5 Likes

That’s what happens with increasing costs. Costs have to be cut elsewhere to keep the business viable.

3 Likes

Maybe Brucey can eat into his multi million dollar profit. Or the executives could take a cut from their six figure salaries.

There are always other options besides sacking the workforce - the very thing supposedly working to give you that fat fat profit.

1 Like

lol maybe hell would freeze over before bruce would do any of that

1 Like

Of course it would, I’m not an idiot. No CEO will sacrifice his fat paycheck to save his workforce.

It’s called cutting your nose off to spite your face.

2 Likes

SES was truly local unlike Win. As you said, station car parks are ghost towns.

2 Likes