The woes of WIN

He’d have a luxury speedboat, surely? Practically a straight line.

1 Like

I was just thinking…surely if WIN are that hard up for cash, then Bruce logically should sell off his stakes in Nine and Prime to try and prop up the old horse for a little while longer? Or sell the whole thing off to someone who’s prepared to put in the effort and retire to Bermuda?

Or am I thinking too logically? :laughing:

5 Likes

No.

The main problem of WIN since its change to regional affiliation (from Nine to TEN) from July 1 2016 at midnight was the watermarks. Their giant blue blob watermarks hanging down during the programs (except the TEN Eyewitness News and the WIN News). During the Big Bash (when TEN previously had the rights), WIN had a blue Australia Map ID watermark without the HD bug on Channel 50 (North NSW)/80 (rest of the areas). They did not even put a Live watermark on the screen. Many WIN Viewers were very annoyed with the stupid watermark that was hanging on the screen. (Except for Western Australia where the game was shunted to ONE). I was annoyed why WIN Television did not have the Live watermark where this match was played on a live telecast.
2ndly, THE WIN One and WIN Eleven coloured watermarks are very annoying. It took up 1/8th of a space and it was hard for them to watch on TV.

3 Likes

WINs woes were what we wish wegional watchers won’t want watch (ever again!).

2 Likes

At the time regional Victorians didn’t realise this including myself but that Sunday morning in October 1994 when VIC TV was taken over by WIN and everybody was looking at this new look regional Nine affiliate what actually we now can look back on as a sad for us!

4 Likes

The watermark WIN used from July 1 to around mid December 2016, was the best watermark WIN has used for a long time & there was no green or purple cover up on One & Eleven, then WIN decided to change to the worst watermark of all time big blue mappy & the woes for WIN have continued non stop since then.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
WIN’s ratings have NOTHING to do with watermarks.
Southern Cross used a dirty feed when they were affiliated with Ten, and they were in the same boat that WIN now is. Explain that.

14 Likes

But Now they are still using the watermark again! I think when will they get rid of the watermark shitstain?

Your wrong wins ratings Has a LOT to do with win watermarks ,people I have talked to even media people in have spoken to has said they have boycotted win coz of there watermarks

Agreed.

Even though WIN’s so-called “watermarks” are horrible across all their channels, a far bigger problem for both them and Ten in the metro areas (who’s watermarks are just fine) is that they’ve barely got any premium content of worth compared to their higher rating rivals.

3 Likes

Ok mate.
As someone who has access to regional ratings everyday, I can tell you WIN’s ratings DID NOT collapse when they changed watermarks.
When you find RELIABLE definitive proof that says otherwise, then we can talk.

7 Likes

What was the ratings like when WIN had TEN programming compard to Nine affiliation?

Archive goes back to 2016, the last year when WIN had the Nine affiliation: https://www.regionaltam.com.au/?page_id=19

For 2013-15: https://web.archive.org/web/20160301095049/http://www.regionaltam.com.au/?page_id=19

Interestingly, on the last full year of having the Nine affiliation (2015), WIN were beaten for the first time ever in their home market of Wollongong, in which Prime7 narrowly won the ratings year. WIN News was ranked 19th for the year in the list of regular programs, when it aired at the 7pm timeslot, and was averaging 40-50,000 viewers. Nowadays, they get somewhere between 10-20,000 viewers.

4 Likes

Good comment. But this sentence isn’t correct? (Before 2007 it might have been the case).

Of course, it also has to be said that 2015 was the final ratings year that Kerryn Johnston (who quit the network in Early February 2016, before the ratings season began) presented WIN News Illawarra alongside Geoff Phillips!

While I’m sure it may have been a factor which lead WIN to finally bring a weather presenter back to the Illawarra bulletin (with Tanya Dendrinos from February 2017-now probably being the first regular weather presenter on WIN News Illawarra since the May 1999 departure of Nathan Wood), it’s probably less clear whether or not Kerryn’s departure had any impact on the ratings.

It is, however likely that the affiliation switch and Nine News launching their Illawarra bulletin has gradually eaten into the ratings of WIN News in their home market. If @EntertainingAus knows whether it’s Seven News Sydney on Prime7 or Nine News Illawarra that is currently the market’s #1 bulletin at 6pm, it’d be great if he could tell us (while not posting any exact numbers due to Media Spy’s lack of agreement with RegionalTAM)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok then i apologize. now speaking of ratings , can you tell me how is win news going against 9 news esp here in western Victoria. i have been hearing that win news ratings arnt very good compared to 9 news

Seven News is first in all east coast regional markets and almost doubles WIN and 9.

4 Likes

how about in victoria ???

She’s featured in promos and social media pages as the weather presenter but seldom does it.

1 Like