The Weekly with Charlie Pickering

###The Weekly with Charlie Pickering - Season 3

Premieres Wednesday 1 February at 8:40pm

Last year, The Weekly promised to put the sense back into the nonsense. In 2017, the nonsense has defeated us. Each week, Charlie Pickering, along with Kitty Flanagan, Tom Gleeson, and - joining the team - Adam Briggs, will pick the news apart, and then attempt to put it back together, hoping that no one will notice the bits they broke.

In a world that is changing at breakneck speed, The Weekly will hardly change at all. We will continue to spend our Wednesday nights exposing the absurd, revelling in the ridiculous, and throwing shoes at the hypocritical. We encourage you to throw yours at us on the telly. After all, it’s your telly.

The Weekly with Charlie Pickering: making breaking news brokener.

He has been on at least thrice as their indigenous commentator. I thought he was already on the team.

Tend to agree with the other commenters here, actually (see @Firetorch, it’s possible) . There’s a place for this sort of comedy, but I think the ABC needs to keep it straight and simple with its comedy. Micallef works because there’s actually genuine wit behind his jokes. It helps that he fires shots at both sides of the aisle and takes on more than just political issues.

Further, Pickering’s delivery leaves so much to be desired. Watching some of his segments on YouTube, ugh they’re so smug yet so poorly done. And I still don’t understand why people love Kitty, she’s so lowest common denominator.

2 Likes

Oh gee talk about trying to jump on a horse once it’s bolted. I thought it was a news comedy show? So lame.

And did Charlie mean they were wearing white…or that they were Caucasian? If the latter, what a weird joke. Fits right into Charlie’s bigoted and illiberal far left politics though. This isn’t Nigeria or Cambodia - yes, we have white people in Australia, lol.

And if it’s too much white for the show - can ABC please fix by dumping Charlie’s arse and finding a FUNNY comedian with a different skin colour to front this show?

1 Like

What’s your background JBar? You’ve never said from what I can recall.

It would have been a decent gag 3 weeks ago. Now it’s just stale. But probably not the first time that has been said about The Weekly

2 Likes

Yes, it was turned into a Causcasian joke. You have obviously forgotten that we have Aboriginal people in Australia. The joke ended with the triple split screen extended to include Adam Briggs who was the guest interview later in this show. While I did think the concept to twist the original controversy was a bit funny, I felt the jokes mostly fell flat so it wasn’t hilariously funny. Anyway, maybe you should watch it to make a an informed comment rather than just taking the usual pot shots at it.

Unnecessary. Your hatred for Charlie is colouring your comment. :stuck_out_tongue:

White European heritage, but I really don’t see why that should matter.

Agree. I guess it was because they weren’t on air at the time of the controversy but they still felt like they needed to jump on board. It might have helped if it was actually funny. :wink:

Er no, I haven’t forgotten we have Aboriginal people in Australia. But why on earth would I think, seeing 3 randomly selected people in comedy in Australia, that gee they’re white? When 2% of the Australian population is Aboriginal, and the percentage of Aboriginal Australians in comedy probably even less than that, why on earth would I think at least 33% of that random selection must be something other than ‘white’.

Not at all - I kind of used to like him on TAYG. But this show is lame as. And when he gets on an aggressive rant, man it’s really not appealing.

Basically, I just hate lazy ‘people in influence’ who use terms that might be appropriate to the United States, but certainly not in Australia, when describing demographics.

Just wanted to know what was informing your views on this subject. Nothing more. Thanks for answering.

For example, Charlie is one of those silly left-wing liberal Australians that hate themselves and patronisingly think other races and ethnicities have secret ‘wisdoms’ that white Australians don’t have, and that white Australians are oh so dumb and boring. Which, as a non ‘white Aussie’ I find so pathetic. It’s basically using other people for personal political gain. I know you won’t understand that, but when you view them from the outside…it is so cringe.

Yeah nah you’re right, the Weekly is basically a poorly executed carbon copy of Last Week Tonight.

Can’t wait have something original, like Mad As Hell for the year!

3 Likes

Just watched the episode from a couple of weeks ago … Kitty was hilarious as always … but the rest of it barely got a smile out of me.

A supposed humourous video showing Hinch doing various mundane things didn’t have a point, and a campaign for Australia to be the USA’s number two in the world just wasn’t funny, and neither was the rest of program. How does this rubbish get to air?

1 Like

He is such a disappointment on this show. The arrogance was coming out towards the end of his time on The Project, and it has just gotten worse. No Kitty last night, so it wasn’t very funny.

Pickering has complained that he was somewhat under the thumb on The Project and couldn’t always do what he wanted or had to do some stories he didn’t want to do. He desperately needs that thumb now because The Weekly is a mess.

7 Likes

Like the ABC isn’t loving a left-wing rant being put to air every week! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But seriously, this show is dire. Needed the chop a while ago.

2 Likes

The show is disappointing and very self indulgent but I guess Pickering is cheaper than Micallef who at least will take stabs at both sides of politics.

6 Likes

The problem with this show is a lack of a good EP I think, it has those weird off brand sketches voiced by the old Kevin Rudd PM guy from Rove, they don’t fit the brand they are going for. The writing is a bit off as well, it’s like they are trying to be hard hitting but instead back off at the last second and go for a lazy joke.

1 Like

A lot of people seem to like Kitty Flanagan on this show. I really struggle to see why. Her segment is unsubtle, unfunny and laboured. She presents her material quite well, it’s just a pity that her material is mostly crap. I usually switch channels and don’t come back once she comes on.

1 Like

The show has been renewed for 2018.

The Yearly 2017

Wednesday 20 December at 8:30pm

Charlie Pickering and the Weekly team look back on 2017, the year when President Trump, postal surveys, Kim Jong-un, fidget spinners, and undercover Kiwi MPs plunged us all into la-la land. Er, sorry: Moonlight.

How great was the Gogglenews skit on The Yearly? :laughing:

1 Like

Excellent. So was Kitty Flanagan revealing what everyone calls Charlie Pickering around the office; it is spot on.