The Project (2015-Sept 2020)

But CBS has already stated they don’t want to stuff around with the rights of shows linked to other networks because they bring in revenue which they want/need.

I think a weekly show away from 60Minutes and Sunday Night could work well for Ten if they had talent like Lisa Wilkinson and Hamish MacDonald involved.

5 Likes

I would try and get Ray Martin involved.

New blood is needed. Not a flashback to 40 years ago.

His doco last year about racism was next level.

I think 60mins is a special case but Nine could have lifelong rights to that.

I think that applies to any existing contracts unless the other networs wish to terminate them.

Agreed, but i do think they need a senior reporter, then have younger ones, much like 60 Minutes in its early days.

You could have a team like

Ray Martin
Matt White
and maybe 3 younger reporters (possibly 2 females) to balance it to multi-demographics

Isn’t Lisa Wilkinson at 58, senior enough? I don’t think we need to have someone like Ray Martin who is 73.

You do realise 60 Minutes started in 1979? Ray Martin was 34, George Negus and Ian Leslie were 36. Not really senior, where they?

Hamish Macdonald is also 36.

7 Likes

I also think Ray Martin is past his prime, especially in relation to viewer interest. Once upon a time he had pulling power but now it seems that he’s not really connecting with audiences.

Part of the problem is that he disappeared for a while and has the annoying tendency jump onto a number of different projects, do one or two pieces, and then disappear again.

Ten can do better.

5 Likes

He’s had quite a bit of success with the things he’s done on SBS and the ABC. I think he’s better suited to those roles these days rather than hosting a live show like The Project or Sunrise, which he has also done recently but maybe not as successfully.

But he’s past retirement age and he just likes doing what he’s interested in, rather than work full time.

2 Likes

When was the last time that Ray Martin presented a nightly or even a weekly TV program…probably his 2nd stint as the host of ACA which ended more than a decade ago?

As far as I can tell, he seems pretty happy to be doing one-off documentaries and specials (like the recent ones for SBS and Prime7…although I think he filed a report or two for Getaway on Nine sometime in the last year or so) these days.

That’s what I mean. He’s obviously enjoying his time in retirement, doing projects now and then, but to audiences now he probably no longer has the x-factor.

1 Like

Regularly, yes. I think he did a week on The Project in the last two years and maybe a couple of days on Weekend Sunrise.

1 Like

Yes the younger generation wouldn’t really know his career history, but us oldies know what he has achieved in his 50 plus year career.
I do agree at 73 he is probably enjoying life and taking on the odd television project from time to time.

Ten (CBS?) are currently saturating the 10 & One schedule with 48 Hours. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a local spin-off of that first.

I am just suggesting he could be a reporter on it… it doesnt mean he has to do a weekly story… he could even give some creative input or coach younger journalists for a show like that.

@JBar any time anyone has an idea, you try and shoot it down in flames, it seems you only do that because you lack any ideas yourself…

It was also mentioned Lisa Wilkinson could be host with Hamish McDonald… do you really need 2 hosts? wouldnt one host be enough?? Perhaps it could be a rotating chair and maybe have Waleed or Carrie as an occasional guest host

I think first and foremost, they need to find a suitable timeslot for such a show before any major planning. In the late 80s, Ten had Page One at 7:30pm Mondays before axing it for Family Double Dare and The Wonder Years. Also Ten aired Public Eye in the same time frame

1 Like

I was simply pointing out that your statement about the past was factually incorrect.

Using four The Project hosts? Not wise as viewers would immediately label it as a Project offshoot which could deter those who aren’t keen on The Project to sample it. Sign up Chris Bath. It’s high time she returned to a regular TV gig.

1 Like

I agree.

If Ray couldn’t do something permanent it would be great to see a monthly report from him or something.

Or even a CBS Sunday Morning type show.