The Project

https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1579752791941165056

UPDATE: statement from Beverley McGarvey (via TV Tonight)

Carrie Bickmore is synonymous with The Project, having graced our screens and won our hearts during the premiere episode on July 20, 2009.

I know this has been a very difficult decision for Carrie, and although we are all very sad that she will no longer be on The Project we fully respect her decision and wish her nothing but the best for her next adventure.

Carrie has been a wonderful host of the The Project for the past 13 years, and she has also been a respected, valued and much-loved member of the 10 family for the past 17 years, when she appeared every week as the popular newsreader on Rove Live.

Her genuine warmth, empathy, passion, humanity and humour have always resonated with viewers. It’s no wonder audiences welcomed her night after night into their loungerooms and onto their screens.

There have been many magical Carrie moments and we look forward to celebrating these when we farewell Carrie on Wednesday, November 30. We hope to work together again.

4 Likes

Going to ACA? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

New host of A Current Affair. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh what’s that? I was right.

Funny that Walleed is MIA too.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she popped up on ACA from a studio built in Melbourne next year. Perfect timing.

A shocking announcement. Like she’s the OG of that show. Since the premiere in 2009. Okay, people doesn’t care about her announcement here. But she has a radio show in the arvo with Tommy Little plus has a amazing family.
I’m gonna miss her on the desk. Surely her replacement will be Tunny or Wilkinson.

2 Likes

Interesting way to end the statement from Beverley. Doesn’t seem to have anything speicific in mind at 10.

1 Like

Kate Langbrook to Bickmore: Are you hosting ACA. :joy:

7 Likes

Ally Langdon to ACA and Carrie with Karl on Today? Just throwing ideas out there.

7 Likes

Exactly. That’s 10’s problem isn’t it. Not enough news/current affairs output to offer her anything else. Unless they create something….

3 Likes

As we know people in TV don’t leave their jobs without another lined up.

I’d say this is more likely than Carrie going to ACA.

6 Likes

It is a big loss for the show as she is arguably their biggest talent and just listed in the top 10 TV personalities.

Hard to believe she would be leaving TV totally. She has been given a long goodbye though which isn’t always the case in the media.

Carrie would be great on Today, but she might not want to leave Melbourne, particularly if her son is finishing school in the next few years.

Frees up some funds to encourage Sarah Harris to stay at the network. Won’t be a good look if they lose two top, long standing female presenters around the same time. Wonder if Sarah would be interested in moving to Melbourne to host The Project? That, or move the show to Sydney and give it a good freshen up. Surely they need to offer her something more than Studio 10 to keep her around.

13 Likes

I can’t see Nine recruiting externally for ACA… they’ve always promoted from within the Nine stable to ACA.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a 7pm current affairs show for 7? Their upfronts are in two weeks. Home and Away needs to go. Maybe they finally agree?

1 Like

I know nothing about the workings at The Project, but “spending more time with the family” I suspect means it isn’t entirely a voluntary exit.

But in any case, no matter the reason why, 13 years is an outstanding run on television so that’s a great achievement.

11 Likes

This is pretty big news. I would say Sarah needs to replace her, surely? If not surely the show is on its last legs?

I reckon we will see her pop up somewhere……. ACA from Melbourne… perfect slot for her?

1 Like

Not ACA according to The Guardian.

She did not reveal what her plans are but sources say it will not be to take over from Tracy Grimshaw on Nine’s A Current Affair.

4 Likes

I would think Georgia Tunny would be a frontrunner

4 Likes