The Newsreader

Would be a great plot twist if the “network” they work for was tied up in it.

6 Likes

Ooooh there’s an idea. And have it that the new owners are changing things up or whatever (editorial standards or staff or whatever).

4 Likes

The Newsreader Series 2

The critically acclaimed, multi award-winning drama is back. It’s 1987, and newsreaders Helen Norville and Dale Jennings are back on screen delivering the biggest stories of the day. Off screen they’re contending with rising public profiles, intensifying office politics, and a ruthless new CEO.

5 Likes

Season 2 has commenced filming.

5 Likes

Award winning series The Newsreader now filming season 2

The ABC in association with VicScreen are thrilled to announce The Newsreader, recipient of Most Outstanding Drama Series at this year’s TV Week Logie Awards and winner of 2021 AACTA Award for Best Drama Series, has commenced filming its 6-part second season.

Series one returning characters are those portrayed by Anna Torv (2022 TV Week Logies – Most Outstanding Actress & 2021 AACTA Award for Best Lead Actress in a Drama), Sam Reid (nominated for TV Week Silver Logie Most Outstanding Actor and nominated AACTA Award for Best Lead Actor in a Drama), William McInnes (AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama & nominated for the TV Week Silver Logie for Most Outstanding Supporting Actor), Robert Taylor, Michelle Lim Davidson (nominated AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama), Stephen Peacocke (nominated AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama), Chai Hansen, Chum Ehelepola and Marg Downey (nominated AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama). They will be joined in season two by international actor Daniel Gillies (The Originals, Virgin River, Coming Home in the Dark) and Philippa Northeast (Home & Away).

A year on from the events of series one, we meet Helen Norville (Anna Torv) and Dale Jennings (Sam Reid), now established as ‘The Golden Couple of News’. To the outside world, they present a glowing image of success and romance. But the truth is more complex. As 1987 rolls along, global stocks will soar and crash, Australia will prepare to celebrate its Bicentennial year, and Helen and Dale grapple with who they really want to be in life - and whether that path can be together…

Award winning actress Anna Torv says “I am so delighted production has started on The Newsreader season two. The scripts that Michael and the writers have put together are fantastic and I couldn’t be happier with where the show is going to lead the characters in this new season.”

Series Creator and Producer, Michael Lucas says “It’s such a thrill to have the full ‘News At Six’ team back in action. 1987 and 1988 has provided us with an incredible canvas in terms of drama, music, fashion and, critically, hair-styling, and we’re delighted that our entire ensemble cast has returned for season two, with some fantastic new additions.”

ABC Head of Scripted Production Sally Riley said “We are delighted to be underway on the second season of The Newsreader from the incredibly talented team at Werner Film Productions. The combination of real-life news events of the period and the extraordinary ensemble of characters within “News at Six” resonated so strongly with our ABC audiences - we can’t wait to share another season with them in 2023."

Minister for Creative Industries, Steve Dimopoulos says “Our $191.5 million VICSCREEN strategy is supercharging our local screen industry by investing in our outstanding local productions like The Newsreader.

“This is uniquely Australian, gripping entertainment that showcases some of our best talent - and the people behind the scenes that make them shine.”

Produced by Werner Film Productions, The Newsreader season two will be directed by executive producer Emma Freeman (2021 AACTA Award for Best Direction in Drama) and will air on ABC TV and ABC iview in 2023.

6 Likes

Looks like episode 1 will focus on the 1987 Election.

6 Likes

Interesting… I wonder if they’ll do a telly room from Canberra?

Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre has plenty of space that can be used as a tally room for the election scene.

1 Like

I’m sure there are plenty of old buildings that could accommodate it.

2 Likes

BBC2 airing episodes one and two of The Newsreader tonight with the entire series available for the Brits on iPlayer.

2 Likes

Pretty big to premier on BBC2.

Bump airs on BBC1. They air a few Australian shows.

2 Likes

UK guide:

Sam Reid looking a bit different as Lestat.

2 Likes

Deadline reports Daniel Gillies will play new series regular Charlie in season 2 of The Newsreader. The character is billed as a privileged first-born son of an aging newspaper mogul, desperate to make his own mark in the world.

2 Likes

Sounds like a take on Warrick Fairfax’s takeover of 7.

4 Likes

The producers are looking for extras for a gay club scene.

1 Like

I’ve just been watching the final two episodes of Series 1 here in the UK on the BBC.

It’s such a brilliant series and strange for me seeing Marg Downey in a non comedic role (She will always be Marion in Kath and Kim to me)

2 Likes
3 Likes

Wow… that’s impressive. Hopefully season two moves to the main channel?

2 Likes

ABC is repeating the first season commencing Sunday 11 September 10:30 PM

2 Likes