The Latest

They should really just consider sticking ‘the latest’ on every night at 9pm for the moment. It’s likely to rate better than the usual content and if ever there was appetite for another bulletin later in the evening, surely it’s now.

13 Likes

Screenshot_20200316-151445~2

6 Likes

Considering Nine seems to be planning to do this, I would expect Seven will follow by the end of thw eek.

3 Likes

I’m surprised the Network hasn’t brought this ahead to a 9.00pm start all week.

4 Likes

The 9pm Nine bulletin was clearly pre-recorded. No live crosses and all old packs.

5 Likes

Seven is moving The Latest to earlier timeslots on Tuesday (tonight) and Wednesday this week with one-hour editions.

Tuesday 17 March
09:00 PM The Latest: Seven News

Wednesday 18 March
Sydney, Brisbane
08:30 PM The Latest: Seven News

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth
09:30 PM The Latest: Seven News (no change)

9 Likes

Screenshot_20200317-153822~2

6 Likes

Next week will see The Latest run at the same schedule as this week.

6 Likes

Angela Cox in-studio this evening.

6 Likes

Usher is just very good I have to say.

19 Likes

He and Angela Cox work well together. Shame it has such a poor lead in. (That said, I caught the end of MKR and what a delight on a crappy news day to see so much joy and laughter at all the 10 scores!)
As a viewer from Qld, I cannot see the appeal of Peter Overton on 9. I flicked over briefly but he’s nowhere near as good as Michael Usher.

13 Likes

Squeeze it into half time during Thursday and Friday night footy?

4 Likes

The Latest is definitely the superior product between the two commercial offerings. A very polished and enjoyable show, the only news bulletin I watch from start to finish.

Just tonight, my father, who rarely watches TV and has no interest in media commented on how good this show was and that he tunes in every night.

9 Likes

Always has been. Always had a very high view of him as a news presenter.

6 Likes

They are also using Denham Hitchcock. Unfortunately, he isn’t really strong with in-studio segments tonight. Would have preferred Ange to do it all instead.

7 Likes

I know that The Latest was a “quiet achiever” in 2019. But it had little promotion and various timeslots. But I quite liked watching it when it was on.

In 2003, when Seven’s Afternoon News started, it began as a short term news service dealing with the Iraq War. When news “slowed down” with that, the news service remained, and has been stable ever since, and we haven’t look back at getting rid of it.

Now, with the Coronavirus pandemic, we might have The Latest at an earlier timeslot of 9pm-ish for most nights this week, and I think next week too. Whenever the news of the virus slows down (no one knows when this will happen), I wonder if The Latest will remain at this earlier timeslot on a regular basis, and the US Dramas air afterwards of 9.30 or 10pm?

4 Likes

All of the networks are going to be pretty devoid of new content for at least the rest of this year so they might as well leave it there if it’s working.

The US won’t be swinging into production like usual and local production has been impacted.

5 Likes

Agree though the pieces he did (particularly the one about what getting tested for coronavirus is like) for last night’s show were really good

2 Likes

Using the Round sunrise desk tonight

6 Likes

Different intro too

1 Like