The increasingly crowded streaming market

5 Likes

Is sports flix non existent now? Or are the other bord members trying to re launch some how?

2 Likes

Well I don’t know what a Craig Kelly ad is for one. From reading the YouTube comments they appear to be annoying.

5 Likes

For some reason i have a 2 month trial of Youtube Premium. I think i will keep it now . The ad breaks on 7Plus/9Now/10Play/ SBS on Demand don’t seem too annoying because they are tv shows that were designed for breaks.

I need to work out the total cost per month of having all these services. It’s like I want access to all of them but never have time to watch them all .

Netflix HD, Stan HD, Prime yearly, Apple TV plus yearly and music yearly , AMC+ via Amazon, Britbox monthly and Paramount + monthly and Disney yearly+

I need to work out the monthly cost again now that I 've added AMC+ (It has Comedy Bang Bang all seasons and Portlandia) and Youtube Premium (not family)

I still think it is less than Foxtel’s top tier package.

Edited : It’s $104.36 a month in streaming services. :open_mouth: Dropping Britbox and Paramount soon and AMC via Amazon should get it to $86.38 then a better looking number of $77.39 once those extras which only have a handful of shows are unsubbed .

2 Likes

Around the $80 per month mark is my absolute top limit for streaming. Including Spotify. Still cheaper than what I was paying when I had Foxtel.

2 Likes

ACMA publishes subscription video on demand Australian content data for 2020-21

The ACMA’s second subscription video demand (SVOD) Australian content report shows Amazon Prime, Disney, Netflix and Stan spent more on Australian programs in the last financial year compared to 2019–20.

Collectively, the SVOD providers spent $178.9 million on Australian programs in 2020–21, up from $153 million the previous year. These are programs that meet minimum requirements for key creative roles, including producers, directors, writers and cast being Australian.

Key changes for this report include the expenditure on the acquisition of sports programs for the first time, and an increase in expenditure in Australian drama programs compared to the previous year. Spending on Australian children’s drama and non-drama programs was down compared to 2019–20.

In 2020–21 SVOD providers also spent $450 million on acquiring, producing or investing in Australian-related programs. These are programs that meet some but not all of the criteria of an Australian program.

Australians were also able to watch more Australian content on all four services. At 30 June 2021, 2,030 Australian program titles were available to Australian audiences across these services, representing 6,019 hours of content. SVOD providers also made Australian programs available to audiences in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and many other countries.

Some findings:

Spending by subscription video on demand providers 2020–21

Four subscription video on demand (SVOD) providers – Amazon Prime, Disney, Netflix, and Stan – spent $178.9 million in the 2020–21 financial year on 1,765 Australian programs.

These are programs that meet minimum requirements for key creative roles, including producers, directors, writers and cast.

SVOD providers commissioned or co-commissioned 22 new Australian programs. These programs accounted for more than half of the expenditure on Australian programs (58% down from 80% in 2019–20). These new Australian programs included Bump (Stan), Back to the Rafters (Amazon), Surviving Summer (Netflix) and Mr Inbetween, series 3 (Disney). The remaining expenditure included the costs of acquiring 1,743 Australian programs.

SVOD providers’ expenditure on Australian programs increased more than $25 million from 2019–20. Key changes in expenditure include the acquisition of sports programs for the first time in 2020–21 and an increase in acquired and commissioned Australian drama programs. Spending on Australian children’s drama and non-drama programs was down compared to 2019–20.

SVOD providers’ contributions supported production of Australian programs across a range of genres, with all providers commissioning or acquiring Australian drama ($94.8 million) and Australian documentaries ($17.3 million).

SVOD providers also support the production of content made in Australia in ways other than commissioning or acquiring Australian programs. In 2020–21, providers spent $450 million on acquiring, producing or investing in 12 Australian-related programs. These are titles that meet some but not all of the criteria of an ‘Australian program’. Their contributions supported production of programs such as The Wilds, season 2 (Amazon), Pieces of Her (Netflix) and Nine Perfect Strangers (Disney).

Australian programs outside Australia

SVOD providers also reported the number of Australian programs made available on services outside Australia. The regions reported by providers varied:

• all providers reported on Australian programs available in Canada, Spain, UK and the US.
  • 3 providers reported on programs available in France.
  • 2 providers reported on programs available in Brazil, Germany, India, Italy, Japan and Mexico.

Data for countries where only one SVOD provider reported Australian programs has not been included in Table 2. This includes data for Argentina, China, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore and Sweden. Some providers reported in aggregated regions (for example, Benelux and Latin America), which have also not been included.

1 Like

Situation last month in US. It’s notable that streaming’s share seems to be plateauing in a battle with Broadcast TV for second place. Netflix still easily the number one streaming option.

2 Likes

Given that we have Star from Disney, we won’t see Hulu launching here stand alone I assume.

Is Hulu tv content in the US mainly Fox/ABC(US) stuff with sport?

We’re still seeing Hulu content brand new not necessarily going to Star in Australia.

Some of the Hulu stuff is produced with different production companies and therefore different distribution partners. We are seeing some Hulu stuff on Stan, Binge and P+ as well as Disney’s Star.

1 Like

Sort of the same with HBO Max.

1 Like

Yes like Landscapers currently in Stan.

1 Like

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/craig-kellys-rude-head-almost-convinces-local-man-to-pay-for-youtube-premium/

Betoota agrees with my comment from a few days ago.

2 Likes

Watching Motorsport next year will become more expensive with Stan having Indycar, WRC and WEC and Kayo F1, NASCAR, MotoGP and Supercars.

Same thing with tennis with Kayo ATP/WTA tours and Stan the Grand Slams, Australian Open Series and Laver Cup.

Don’t forget for anyone who is a Nascar die hard I don’t think Kayo/Foxsports is currently showing all the rounds live plus there not showing the associate series anymore.

2 Likes

Better coverage though, all courts covered instead one or two. I would rather play a little more for quality

2 Likes

Just wondering …
AMC + is $8.99 and a channel that can be subscribed to through Amazon Prime Video.

The streaming service/channel includes also access to Acorn and Shudder…

So why would you want to sign up to Acorn or Shudder separately or together when for $9 you get Shudder , Acorn and AMC+ all together (I assume AMC owns the other two as to why it is included)… not sure how much it costs for Shudder or Acorn separately haven’t yet looked it up.

Maybe someone wants the content on one and not the other? AFAIK Shudder and Acorn are like $5 each? Why subscribe to AMC+ for $9 if you’re just gonna watch the content of Shudder and can get it on its own for $5?

1 Like

Is AMC+ basically just Shudder and Acorntv combined? Or does AMC+ have other exclusive content?

1 Like

It has other exclusive content that’s only part of AMC+

2 Likes

Britbox I subscribed to for a few shows. Will be cancelling soon.

On the Apple TV , auto play is enabled . It can’t be turned off.

Last night fell asleep went from S2 E4 of Detectorists and this morning it says it’s half way through Season 3.

2 Likes