The Hunting

SBS Upfronts 2019

The Hunting delves into one of the biggest issues of the social media era – cyberbullying.

The new drama series intimately imagines the lives of four teenagers, their friends, their families, their teachers, their communities during the lead up, revelation and aftermath of a nude photo sharing scandal. Produced by Closer Productions with major funding from Screen Australia, and using teenagers and non-actors to tell the story, it is the kind of provocative local drama that only SBS would make.

Just like to share something interesting. In September the casting agency came to our school to conduct a screen test for this show. I was one of those who were screen tested and they said they’ll get back to us in about 2 months.

Hopefully I managed to get in (the chances of that happening is probably 1/10000000) but who knows.

1 Like

I don’t know why they announce these shows so far ahead of screening. According to the SBS 2019 schedule grid, The Hunt won’t air until October 2019 and Hungry Ghosts in December 2019.

I suppose it’s probably just a plan of how they ‘expect’ the shows will go.

But why announce it more than 12 months before screening? So much can change by the time it screens.

True. It does kind of seem like they’re getting ahead of themselves. Most networks do the same though tbh.

The drama has been renamed The Hunting and will be made as a four-part miniseries starring Asher Keddie and Richard Roxburgh. Filming starts in Adelaide today.

It’s a strong cast. I hope it’s well made like The Principal and Safe Harbour.

The show will have its world premiere at Series Mania at Melbourne’s Capitol Theatre on Thursday, July 4 at 6.30pm. Tickets are free but bookings are essential.

They really needed a better title.

All these "The ******* " titles are just so blah and forgettable.

The Hunting premieres Thursday 1 August at 8.30pm

Intense, compelling and timely The Hunting is about how teenagers traverse the complexities of relationships, identity and sexuality via technology. The four-part drama series from Adelaide’s Closer Productions will premiere on SBS at 8.30pm Thursday 1 August.

Starring Asher Keddie ( Offspring, The Cry ) and Richard Roxburgh ( Rake, Hacksaw Ridge ), The Hunting intimately and dramatically imagines the lives of four teenagers, their teachers and families throughout the lead up, revelation and aftermath of a nude teen photo scandal. Tackling themes of misogyny, privacy, sexuality and sexualisation, online exploitation, masculinity and gender, the series uses this singular event as a way of exploring some of the most pressing issues of our time and offering a vital portrait of modern, multicultural Australia.

1 Like

The Hunting will be shown on Channel 5 in Britain.

1 Like

Saw this poster ad at Melbourne Central shopping centre this morning. Sorry for the picture quality as it was taken during rush hour when many people walked by.

starts in a few minutes. Am giving the first episode a go.

Good reviews for the show from what I’ve read

C21 reports the series has been sold to Sky New Zealand, RTÉ in Ireland, CBC in Canada, IVI in Russia and NPO in the Netherlands.

Just catching up with this series now. What a brilliantly made series it is. Well constructed story and told really well. Great dialogue and acting by all involved.

Deserves to win plenty of awards.

1 Like

TBI reports the series has been sold to French broadcaster W9.

Best supporting actor at AACTs up against

Damon Herriman – Lambs of God (Showcase/Foxtel)
Damon Herriman – Mr Inbetween (Showcase/Foxtel)
Ewen Leslie – Fighting Season (Showcase/Foxtel)
John Stanton – Bloom (Stan)

1 Like