The Ghan

You’d think it was more a filler show for a multichannel than a show for the main channel. They tried very hard to provide some facts and history in the doco which might make it relevant content for the Special Broadcasting Service but I really don’t see how this fits the SBS charter.

3 Likes

You could say that about a lot of SBS programs and movies nowadays.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve always liked raw footage like this. Narration and music in docos is great but sometimes it’s better without because you feel like you’re there. Really hope there’s more slow TV docos to come.

4 Likes

Really looked like some raw satellite feed. They could have done with someone like Ray Martin or if the SBS was game enough, Michael Portillo going around the Train and interviewing passengers / crew every 30-45 minutes.

1 Like

That would’ve defeated the purpose of the programme. There’s been that style of documentary already on the Ghan.

5 Likes

Judging from the comments on the SBS Facebook page a lot of people clearly didn’t realise that this was a “slow TV” special, despite the solid audience retention in the ratings. Lots of people expecting a full blown documentary it seems!

This Sunday 14 January, from 2.40am – 8.30pm, SBS VICELAND will be all train, all the time with the spectacular journey of The Ghan in full, for 17 hours.

6 Likes

:open_mouth:

lol great first we got the horse racing channel which mentioned on another thread and now this what this going on :joy::joy::joy:

I wonder if each hour will get its own OzTAM rating like the 3 hour version did :confused:

4 Likes

It would be smart. I’d be interested to see the figures!
I think it’s great they are putting the long 17 hour version on. A lot of effort went into it so it’ll be great that people get to see that go to air :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it should start three and a half hours later and run until midnight. There’s obviously quite a bit of interest so take advantage of it in prime time.

4 Likes

More:

This 17 hour extended-duration version captures the entire iconic 2979 kilometre rail journey from Adelaide to Darwin, omitting the black screen night time segments of travel. Unlike the three hour version, this version is not commercial-free, which gives you enough time for a toilet break in-between the train action.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see it. Will have to clear some HDD space!

1 Like

The 17 hour version of The Ghan is currently being live streamed on the SBS Viceland Facebook page

1 Like

and the journey has just ended…

1 Like

Still going in Queensland.

Are we there yet?

3 Likes

I watched some of it tonight, and I actually didn’t mind it at all…

I found it to be very soothing, calming and relaxing TV.
No people shouting at each other, no one trying to be funny when they are not.

Sitting through all 17 hours of it is another thing altogether of course.

7 Likes

BBC has bought the rights to The Ghan documentary and will show it on BBC Four in UK and Ireland. The show has also been sold to Commonwealth of Independent States, North America and India.

1 Like

I’d like to see one of the Indian Pacific.