The Footy Show (AFL)

Interestingly, there has been no mention anywhere of the Eddie and Sam-hosted “Footy Show Specials” which were announced at the start of the year. This idea may have been quietly shelved due to the dire ratings of the revamped show.

4 Likes

Interesting suggestion from former host Garry Lyon:

Ratings are so low now that they could run an hour-long loop of the “Stretcher incident” vision and it would probably rate higher.

2 Likes

It’s nothing but a short-term band aid fix

1 Like

How long could you air a best of show? Essentially its just repeats and what would that acheive?

Gonski

5 Likes

A very good programming decision by Nine IMO, even if it’s at least 10 years overdue.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say 10 years over done. It was a great show, they just never evolved. Same same, and then when they tried to be different, they dumped what made it good. Front Bar has been a huge success. I’m sure they didn’t expect it, let’s hope they evolve and not get complacent .

3 Likes

You’d think Nine might have waited to see tomorrow’s ratings numbers. Tonight was strange with multiple tweets from the program showing up in my feed during the night - almost like a last hurrah.

2 Likes

That was a unceremonious end to a show which has been part of Melbourne’s TV landscape for 25 years. And to think that, over the 25 year period it has claimed the scalp of so many programs on Seven and Ten in the Thursday 9.30pm timeslot.

2 Likes

I’d say the decision had already been made last Friday morning. As tonight’s show was already in production (interviews booked etc) they let it go ahead. There may even be some sort of farewell episode/special with Eddie, Sam, Trevor and the rest later in the year.

5 Likes

It will probably finish 3rd in prime time shares (5 city metro) by a fraction.

1 Like

Perfect time for 10 to resurrect Before The Game with Lehmo & Neroli? Doubt they’ll be on the Nine payroll much longer!

With Hughesy already on 10’s payroll, surely it wouldn’t be hard to find someone to replace Mick… or too soon? Haha

2 Likes

Nobody would watch it on 10 now. It was an entertaining show sure, but the main reason so many people watched is because it was scheduled between the two Saturday games when 10 had the AFL rights.

9 Likes

Firstly, wow

And The Front Bar now had a loyal, core audience.

I’d say nine have access to things like fetch which is pretty accurate.

honestly, no great loss. As a Qld based afl fan i don’t get to see the Footy show much due to the timeslot up here so when i was in melbourne for work earlier this year i was excited to sit down and watch it.

after about 10 mins i was thoughly board and switched to the front bar. i found it much more enjoyable

1 Like

Lehmo was on 3AW breakfast today discussing the show’s axing.

I think Lehmo will have more to say when he hosts Grandstand AFL on ABC Local Radio this Saturday from midday AEST.

2 Likes