The Footy Show (AFL)

I agree that the decision to give The AFL Footy Show a two week break could backfire spectacularly for Nine, especially with The Front Bar gaining momentum.

Although if that means the show has more of a chance of being cancelled, is that really such a bad thing?

How does Sam Newman think this is OK, let alone consider it to be “entertainment” in 2017?

You probably should’ve made that clearer.

If true, I’d probably agree that it’s a disgrace how Sam Newman is the highest paid presenter at Nine. He’s basically a nobody on this side of the country.

4 Likes

This is the first time The Footy Show will have a short break during the AFL season. I wonder if it will coincide with the break between the end of final round of home and away season at the end of August, and the start of the finals.
The show has been produced in-house since it began in 1993. To have it made by a production company is a big change. It means McGuire Media will have its hands on the Footy Show as well as Seven’s coverage of the VFL and the SANFL.

It’s been reported that the change of host and the break is immediate. It won’t be on next week, it appears.

The day that all of TFS in Australia is axed for good (along with EVERY one of their hosts), is a glorious day as far as Australian Sports Broadcasting is concerned. TFS was once a respected TV show, nowadays, worse than Seven News Sydney in terms of quality. Seven is far more classy with their sports shows.

3 Likes

Agree.

It’d have something to do with Nine’s original needs back in the 90s, Sam’s demands, the charisma & popular humour he brought & being an ex-footy great.

That sounds convoluted, but until recent years, he was THE drawcard for viewers (a show that regularly rated well over 400k in Melbourne alone).

1 Like

I don’t think either version of The Footy Show has ever really been high brow (let alone “respected”) television, but it’s probably fair to say that there’s been a considerable decline in the ratings and overall quality since about the mid-2000s.

It’s just a pity that Seven currently doesn’t have something like “The Front Bar” that would interest the NRL states though.

I find it difficult to believe that Sam Newman earns more at Nine than Stefanovic, Overton, McGuire, Grimshaw and Hitchener.

9 Likes

Hard to see Eddie as a co host. I guess the ratings have really slipped this year just a big change mid season.

2 Likes

I know, it’s very hard to believe, but apparently true (at least probably a ball park figure with Stefanovic?).

2 Likes

i hope sam does get the flick he speaks verbal vomit and doesnt think about what he says and the repercussions thats come after esp about the lgbtqi community

1 Like

EPG says that the Footy Show is on 27/7/2017 @ 8:30PM. Nine Perth will need to change its schedule.

Give it time. Probably will update over the weekend.

It was only announced today.

New look Footy Show to return August 10

1 Like

It could be the NRL version?

1 Like

No it’s not. It was off air for 2 weeks in 2012 when Nine had the London Olympics.

2 Likes

NRL Footy Show will Be on late night @ 2330

What the fuck GTV

1 Like

Well this is no surptise to me. I wondered how long it would take them to get rid of Craig. Eddie, as dislikef as he is, has always been good on this show. Sam neefs to bs permanently replaced with Shane Crawford.

Wow, stunning move from Nine, but I guess this is a last attempt at reviving the show. I haven’t watched it regularly since 2004 or 5, but Sam is definitely the drawcard of the show - if anything I’d get rid of the 3 bozo footballers they put up each week who add so little.

2 Likes

Do not agree. Sam Newman is definitely not the drawcard for me. I would watch this every week if he werent on it.

3 Likes

Somehow, I don’t think the show has ever been aimed at you then…