The Footy Show (AFL)

Nine appear to have some sort of contractual obligation to have NRL Finals on the main channel this year.

1 Like

Bumped to 8:30pm start due to knock on effect of the Queen’s funeral.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be airing at all in NSW/QLD again this year.

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

What an amazing person Kane Cornes is. Kane ran 725km from Adelaide to Melbourne to raise money for My Room, split over 12 days, so he was running 1.5 marathons every day.

Kane finished his run live on-air last night and got emotional when talking about the sick kids he ran for.

Talk about the energy this guy has. Whilst out on his run, he still had the time to appear on the Sunday Footy Show and Footy Classified, and is already back on SEN Breakfast radio this morning.

8 Likes

Should The Footy Show be revived as specials on Monday nights with musical performances?

Great idea but I’m not sure why 9 keep investing in the AFL when the AFL have no interest in changing the broadcasting partner.

Won’t be with the original cast but with the SFS cast

Is Sunday footy show going to be on mondays as well whee is this info

It’s not happening, just a hypothetical from someone on here.

2 Likes

Because the shows make money. It’s got nothing to do with rights holders. It’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

I still wonder if that money it costs would be better spent on more NRL journalists to enhance the sport they have a stake in

I saw part of the telethon last night. Thought that it was great.

Nine’s AFL footy shows are a major part of its brand in Melbourne. If it axed them, news ratings would suffer.

4 Likes

I agree with @parano1a - it’s not about the shows making money in their own right, but it keeps Nine as a whole relevant in Melbourne. AFL is so big that they need to have AFL people to be able to report on AFL. It’s pretty much the same people who are on 9News, Footy Classified and the Sunday Footy Show (with a few exceptions who don’t cross over). They can get a few exclusives thereby denying them from Seven. They can be critical of Seven when required. They can keep their talent away from Seven. Lose all that, less people tune into Nine instead of Seven which impacts their ratings across the board.

2 Likes

Im not doubting all that I’m not suggesting they cut back on their coverage. I just wonder why they don’t add more NRL content (and although this is just a suggestion from someone on here and not nine itself) I wonder why they have tried to add more NRL shows rather than a new AFL one.

You would have to ask TCN, although they do have their Monday night show which they added a few years back as well as the Sunday show.

It’s no different to 7 with the AFL. At a point, you get to market saturation and adding more doesn’t mean increasing anything. They get more return spending a $1 on AFL in Melbourne than they do spending a $1 on NRL (above what they currently spend). It’s all business.

3 Likes