The Cube

Same, memory ones don’t reset after a failure so after a couple of tries I reckon Nanna could have won that, but at the same time they did well to get 50k. Was disappointed they didn’t play on as they were very entertaining, the brother and sister that followed were boring AF… Tuned out.

Hope the show keeps going but they need to speed up the pacing of it.

Most episodes of The Cube are self-contained so they can be shown in any order.

According to TV Blackbox, when The Amazing Race Australia finishes on March 28, 10 will air The Cube on more nights which worries me.

2 Likes

It hasn’t rated that well anyway. So they are better off burning it off than airing Masterchef or complete filler content.

1 Like

To be fair to Ten they are usually more in the long game and will allow such shows to grow rather than swinging the axe early. Thursday seems the obvious option, and goes with their similar counter-programming strategy they have with I’m a Celeb in January.

How many episodes were recorded?

1 Like

So I think it’s at least 14 episodes.

1 Like

I’d imagine it is a lengthy recording session too with all the resetting of the games.

1 Like

Tom Gleeson from MediaWeek interview:

Going up against The Cube

Earlier this year Channel 10 announced that it would be launching The Cube , a game show hosted by Andy Lee in the same prime time slot as Hard Quiz . Gleeson says that he hasn’t watched The Cube , not out of any malice, but because he’s been busy watching something else.

“I haven’t watched The Cube . Not out of any spite for Andy Lee, I like Andy, I think he’s very funny, he’s a very nice chap. I’m just probably watching Netflix. You know what, actually? I would be watching Hard Quiz . I know that sounds ludicrous but because Hard Quiz is recorded ahead of time, and there’s so much ad-libbing and fucking around in the show, by the time it goes to air I can’t remember what happened.

“Sometimes I miss things the contestants say, so when I watch it back at home I’m like ‘man, that person was funnier than I realised.’ Or I play along at home, I play the quiz cause I don’t remember the answers.

“So I haven’t seen The Cube because I’ve been watching Hard Quiz . I’m sure it’s a really good show, but I’ve just been watching other things.”

1 Like

Well don’t we officially have a non-ratings period anyway over Easter? So they might as well try it over more nights during that period. Plus they are holding out a few more weeks until MAFS ends before launching Masterchef.

According to advanced guides, episode 10 on April 14 will be the season finale. I remember there have been at least two episodes in which two teams are playing. Suppose each team took up one recording session, that’s how 14 teams fit into 10 episodes.

I really wanted the cube to work for 10. But it really didn’t. And I know why. It is because they played safe again. They went for a known host, a known concept and a predictable slot. What happened to the 10 that took on unknown hosts such as Rove McManus, Carrie Bickmore, Gretel Killeen and the likes? What happened to the channel 10 that launched shows not known to Australia such as thank god you’re here, the project, big brother and Masterchef? What happened to the 10 that radically changed primetime and tentpole television? They invented the 7:30 reality slot. 10 have always looked best when they try something new. They have always done best when they take risks. If 10 want to get back on top they need to take another risk.

2 Likes

Will The will still be on once The Cube starts?

Sorry what do you mean?

2 Likes

Will The Cube still be on once Master Chef start

Last week is the last of the episodes so my guess is no.

3 Likes

According to the promo shown tonight, a former contestant from Australian Survivor is taking part in Tuesday’s episode of The Cube.

2 Likes

I’m with you in wishing this had worked but the execution just wasn’t right. I think it’s evident that gameshows (with some very minor exceptions) don’t really hold up on their own anymore in prime timeslots, so this show probably should have been utilised post 8.30pm off the back of Masterchef or The Amazing Race. It would benefit from a lead in and could have done well for the later slot. Even if it was always destined for 7.30pm maybe they should have launched if off the back of The Amazing Race finale to at least give the first episode more exposure.

1 Like

It’s Michelle Dougan (who competed on Australian Survivor season 4 and season 7) and her sister Sam.

The show ended its 10-episode run tonight. No team beat the Cube and won $250,000 and no team made it to the seventh and final task. I think only one team reached the $100,000 task.

I thought the show was great and watching everyday Aussies doing those tasks were thrilling stuff, although those tasks got a bit repetitive towards the last few episodes. The show was also let down by its timeslot and excessive use of 360 degree cameras and super slow-mo.

I think The Cube still has a future on 10 and would like to see it return next year. The show’s ratings however prove it is heavily reliant on the lead-in. If it is back in 2022, it has to be shown on Thursday nights after a 7.30pm show such as MasterChef.

2 Likes

I agree on most points, I too enjoyed it and hope it returns later this year or next.

They will need some new tasks to keep it fresh too.

But I think it’s best suited to a 7.30 timeslot.
It’s a family oriented game show, not sure that it will work at 8.30.

1 Like