The Biggest Loser: Transformed

They’d be mad to go for this again. Clearly they haven’t been burnt hard enough by the last time this flopped right in their faces that it ended up going to daytime.

1 Like

Could be Seven as they have the American version on 7plus.

1 Like

It’s been 7 years. That’s a long time. It could work after such a long break.

1 Like

Airing another version doesn’t mean much

I think there’s a fair few examples of formats where a foreign version runs on one channel but another runs the local version.

1 Like

Survivor and The Amazing Race both immediately come to mind.

2 Likes

I would love to see the same trainers back but I doubt Michelle and Commando would do it together. Have one of them, Shannon, Tiffany Hall, and either Hayley Lewis or Fiona Falkiner hosting.

I’d go for the Families format again if a revival happens.

1 Like

Used to watch TBL as well. It’s first 4 seasons were massive hits and at a time when BB and Idol had already been on-air for many years but before MasterChef and was a new reality show for Aussies, with the US version as well. Starting with the US trainers coming over here and then in 2008 getting Shannon and Michelle plus Commando, with Ajay doing S1 - 4 and then that whole controversy with her happened and Hayley Lewis took over from S5 (ratings like a lot of shows at Ten dropped save for phenomenons like MC and a few other hits) but remained strong) and S6 added trainers and changed format from couples to families. S7 in 2012 was still solid but really went downhill after that to the final season where it was played out including finale in daytime to basically a nil audience and Shannon mocked by Hughesy at that years Logies over it. I reckon it’s been enough time. Maybe someone give it one last go?

Are we sure it’s 10 logging into that social media? Wasn’t it a Fremantle show and then Shine (now Banijay) who’d run the account. Could see Seven reviving yet another, maybe a departing commission for former Ten CEO James Warburton or even Nine (they were keen at one stage and made the failed rip off Excess Baggage remember that which ironically had Ajay as a contestant).

1 Like

I doubt it’s 9 - they have too packed of a schedule of solid performers - Between MAFS, Lego, Summit, Block, Olympics, Love Island & Food Stars

I doubt they can fit in a big flagship show this year and it’s probably to premature to think about 2025

I seriously doubt it.

The cover and display image were changed on The Great Australian Spelling Bee late last year too, and I couldn’t see that coming back anytime soon.

The last time they tried to reinvent TBL and it was dropped from primetime, airing during the day and the finale was incorporated into Studio 10.

They’d be mad to give it another run.

1 Like

Agreed, it hasn’t been long enough. They also did a number of reinventions over the last five or so years - nothing really came good. Just sagged until there was literally nothing left. Talk about milking a concept!

I feel like this show was of its time and that the era of publicly shaming obese people in the name of entertainment has passed.

I don’t think it was a fat shaming show? I thought it was quite wholesome and respectful. Especially the Thursday episodes with the experts to help assist viewers at home with their weight loss journey.

1 Like

Another issue is all the secrets thats came out during filming, that weekly weigh ins werent weekly and ranged 5-10 days.
Contestants went home at christmas during production breaks hence some mega weigh in drops.
So if the show came back it would need to be more transparent.

1 Like

I can see it filling a gap in Ten’s schedule later in the year. They dropped Traitors so wouldn’t be surprised if maybe they have plans for it then?

I think the show could work as a re-jigged shorter/shaper format. Maybe even changing the format so it’s more like a real life weight loss journey where they aren’t at the camp the whole time. Like showing them at home on their weightless journey with the trainers checking in and maybe a few boot camps/weigh ins at the camp along the way. I think keeping it more real so people can relate to it might work?

1 Like

Maybe Ten should revive some other reality concept instead. Just the Two of Us maybe?

Having great success in Greece. Three seasons from 2010 and now up to it’s third season in the revival since 2020l. China also revived it.

Grant Denyer hosted the original on Seven and he’s on Ten now so…

There is one in ireland which is lot less fat shaming where is families and has been successful but doesnt have the drama so thats already a no no for the australian audience.

Not sure why ten (or another station) hasn’t given extreme makeover a go, either the person based one or the home based one. Not sure if it is even running in the US anymore but used to live both formats

That show ‘My 600lb Life’ has been going in the US for 12 seasons. I know it’s a cable show but I’m just thinking of ways they could re-invent The Biggest Loser format to make it more relatable. Track contestants over a period of time so we see some real life scenarios but also keep it competitive with some biggest loser elements - like they could go in for boot camps and weigh ins maybe 3-4 times over a number of months. That way they could possibly edit and condense the show to 3-4 weeks too.