Test Cards and Other Internal Content

The countdown to Channel 31 is on Channel 31.

1 Like

Optus D2 is currently at 160°E where D1 used to be. They swapped positions because D1 is actually the one that’s about to drop out of the sky. Its replacement has been delayed, so they had to move D2 over to keep NZ on the air. D2 still has life in it. Everything had to be moved off D2 early last year so that the relocation could happen, not because it was failing.

D1 is holding the 152°E slot for Optus, but basically not being used for anything.

Talking about failing satellites, IS-19 isn’t in good shape since a major power anomaly in Feb. A number of the Ku transponders are no longer in use, and the one that TBS is on is running at reduced power, albeit also handling a lot of the channels now that were on other transponders.

4 Likes

I wonder are we looking at the beginning of the end for geostationary satellites?

Optus D1 and IS19 are both sick. LEO systems like Starlink might make it uneconomic to replace old geostationary satellites.

I noticed the big Ku Band antenna at Optus Rocheldale has been demolished and the few remaining old school TV studio’s have some very unloved looking satellite hardware in their backyards now.

Geostationary satellite may go the way that the HF radio it originally replaced did.

4 Likes

Not sure we’re at the end. The new satellite for 160°E is a revolutionary new software based platform by Airbus. It allows spot beams for regional ads and localised programming like nothing we’ve seen before.

4 Likes

Linear FTA is on the decline, this regional spot/programming beams may be too late.

2 Likes

With the steady increase of VAST installations every month, I’m not so sure. It really depends on the market. Maybe a decline in the cities, but not regional so much. Not sure about how things work over the ditch, though.

2 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

From Fox Footy’s GWS v SYD match half-time yesterday:

3 Likes

images-75

3 Likes

From Intelsat 19 “A15K”

5 Likes

NBN using the famous BBC test pattern.

5 Likes

From Intelsat 19 “Enc 3 ODS”

3 Likes

Yeah it must have been in the 70s cause i have no recollection of it. I only remember NBN using the Phillips one and the coloured bars

2 Likes

4 Likes

From Intelsat 19 “QTQ SNG908 (QTQ SNP)”

4 Likes

From Intelsat 19 “A15K”

7 Likes

A rare local ABC Test Card

2 Likes

Yeah seen that last night when I was outside spinning the dish, gave me a good chuckle

2 Likes

From Intelsat 19 “A15K”

5 Likes