Ten's 4th channel

Tim’s Weather Wall Channel… 24/7 Tim Bailey.

10 Likes

You can’t sell a broad enough range of advertising in a kids channel. Also primetime rating would be weak.

Would not be profitable

“The best number of brands to have is one” - a quote from a marketer.

I think with the UK lead the way with BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4. ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITVBe, Channel 4, More4, Film4, e4 etc and now we have in Australia

7HD
7TWO
7mate
7flix

9HD
9Go!
9Gem
9Life
9Now

ABC
ABC2
ABC3
ABC News 24

Ten’s multichannel brand strategy seems weak to me. “One” and “11” and not channel names that roll off the tongue nor are they memorable. They are also very generic and that limits there effectiveness. The reason SciFi went to SyFy was because Sci Fi can be a million things. SyFy is one thing - the TV channel

Google 7mate. One thing comes up. Same with 9Life, 7flix etc. These are strong trademark able brand names.

“One” and “11” are not - they get lost in the words of 20 FTA channels now.

I think they need to be rebranded and point back to the Ten brand. Everything should fall under the Ten brand to strengthen the main brand. It makes cross promotion cleaner easier and stronger.

Ten
TenHD
TenXM (rebranded One, Sports, FX type dramas, Docos, make skewing programming with attitude)
eTen (rebranded 11, e stands for entertainment - youth skew"
TenNow (rebranded TenPlay with emphasis on live streaming and on demand)

I wonder if Ten’s 4th channel would become Sky News when News Corp (15% owner of Ten( buys Sky and aligns news products

2 Likes

I don’t see why Foxtel would make any of their channels free to air and risk losing subscribers.

I don’t see why Foxtel would make any of their channels free to air and risk losing subscribers.

Well Foxtel is only 50% owned by News. And Sky will be 100% owned by News.

Also, no one is subscribing to Foxtel for Sky. It’s not a driving factor the way sports and premium drama like A Place To Call Home and Wentworth are.

Plus, on FTA viewership of Sky would increase two to four fold, and with that higher viewership - ad rates can be massive increased.

Also I believe it is News’ intention to make a News owned Sky News a major player in Australian media. To take on 7 9 and ABC somewhat. You can only do that by going FTA.

1 Like

You can watch Sky News for free by downloading the Foxtel Play app for Windows anyway. Not sure if it is a bug in the system, or Foxtel demonstrating the benefits of Foxtel Play, but it’s there!

Not sure about streaming on other platforms, including Mac.

I think it is done deliberately as a sample so to speak. I think it is known that News would like Sky to be on FTA. It is on freeview in the UK.

I hear that the plans are a foot for Ten’s addition to the ‘new’ TV channel landscape.

2 Likes

So is ONE in danger of being dropped? If so wonder what they would replace it with.

I thought when we saw NITV launch it was the end of the multichannel launches but they keep coming.

If Australia went MPEG4 on everything how many HD channels could be had ?

Not really many more channels we can have so whatever Ten does might be the last for a while.

I started this thread not thinking Ten would do anything and would remain with 3 channels.

The only channel I would rename is One.

I think someone on another thread mentioned 5 HD MPEG4 channels

I doubt ten would drop a channel to cede more advantage to seven and nine.

I do think however, ten need to re think their multi channel strategy. ONE is a mess.

Eleven is pretty well positioned despite softish ratings below 3% on some nights.

Ten don’t need a new channel but they could probably rebrand and/or relaunch One. A good time to do this would be during Masterchef (or at the conclusion of Masterchef).

An Idea for Ten’s 4th TV Channel has gotta be Music Based, Like 4Music in the UK and The Edge TV in New Zealand, a Partnership with Nova Entertainment may Happen.

2 Likes

An Idea for Ten’s 4th TV Channel has gotta be Music Based, Like 4Music in the UK and The Edge TV in New Zealand, a Partnership with Nova Entertainment may Happen.

It’s well known music channels playing videos do not rate. Ten needs a 4th channel to remain competitive. It on’t be music videos. People watch clips online now. MTV dumped music videos 20 years ago as the average time spent watching the channel was like 6 minutes. Music channels don’t work.

As a country NSW viewer we don’t have 9life looks like no 7flix , no HD and will miss out on anything new from TEN so we are being left behind quickly. I think our only hope is when the media laws change.

10Music would sound like a good proposal

Ten
TenHD
TenXM (rebranded One)
TenFox (rebranded 11)
TenMusic

Is that the X-rated Mature adult channel? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I can see the fit for music on FTA and it would be very cheap for them to do. It could be mostly music videos during the days but in primetime there are a lot of opportunities. They could air anything even slightly music related from musicals, documentaries, to concerts, interviews with artists, seasons of reality shows with different artists (e.g. Newlyweds, Osbornes etc and more recent ones there are so many of them) . Dramas like Glee would fit or if there is anything else similar out there, even talk shows that often have musical guests. They could even go the more Music+Entertainment direction too and have a nightly inhouse music/entertainment style news programme to be a staple in the schedule. I see a spot for it.

XM stands for eXtra Male