Ten's 4th channel

The question is will Ten even consider a 4th channel.

5 Likes

I reckon TenX would be a good male multichannel replacement for One. They could use the old X ten logo and the branding is stronger.

Arrived home and turned the tv on to a message that there was a new channel. Rescanned and it’s Ten HD on channel 13. But the screen itself says ‘no service’.

Unlucky :wink:

2 Likes

I did a rescan and couldn’t find any LCN-13 broadcasting in Sydney.

1 Like

I’m in Brisbane. It came up as a new DVB service?!? The EPG has all tonight’s programs correctly listed. Mine is a Panasonic I’ve had since Jan 2008.

1 Like

I tried that too… nada for moi as well…

Well maybe it’s not broadcasting in every market yet. Either that or perhaps someone flicked a switch by accident and loaded some settings from years ago (did Ten HD ever broadcast on LCN-13 back in the pre-One HD era) by mistake! :slight_smile:

It’s on in my main TV. I have just rescanned the Samsung bedroom TV & Ten HD appears after rescan.

2 Likes

Ahh…there’s no video or audio streams allocated to “TEN HD” at the present time. I have got proof that it’s in existence on the Ten Sydney multiplex though:

4 Likes

As others have mentioned, they would be stupid not to put it on channel 1.
Of course ONE would need to be rebranded though.

In Melbourne as well:

I manage to have recent samples of all networks except Ten, so I can’t compare - but the bitrates for TVSN and Spree TV (2.5Mbps and 2Mbps respectively) seem very high. Reducing those rates, combined with One going SD would be sufficient for Ten to launch an MPEG-4 HD channel.

Indeed, based on those figures, they don’t even have to:
One HD - 6.9Mbps MPEG-2 HD
Ten SD - 2.3Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Eleven SD - 3.4Mbps MPEG-2 SD
TVSN - 1.5Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Spree TV - 1.5Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Ten HD - 4.5Mbps MPEG-4 HD

Or to leapfrog:
One SD - 2Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Ten SD - 2Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Eleven SD - 2Mbps MPEG-2 SD
TVSN - 1Mbps MPEG-2 SD
One HD - 4.35Mbps MPEG-4 HD
Ten HD - 4.35Mbps MPEG-4 HD
Eleven HD - 4.35Mbps MPEG-4 HD

More realistically,
One HD - 3.75Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Ten SD - 4.0Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Eleven SD - 3.75Mbps MPEG-2 SD
TVSN - 1.5Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Spree TV - 1.5Mbps MPEG-2 SD
Ten HD - 5.5Mbps MPEG-4 HD

4 Likes

In Adelaide is also appeared with no video. Although it tells me via the TV guide that I’m a Celebrity is currently on between 7:31-8:49PM on Ten HD

I doubt they need to rebrand ONE just because of TEN HD. It is somewhat smart by Ten to have Eleven on 11, One at 12 and TEN HD at 13

Ten HD??
I wonder when it’ll be ready. Ten might beat Seven to the HD battle!

1 Like

Maybe there might be an announcement sometime in the next few weeks? Who knows.

In any case, it’ll be quite interesting to see who launches their HD channel first!

It might just be a cynical ploy by Ten to whip us MediaSpies into a frenzy.

2 Likes

Why should Seven have all the fun?

3 Likes

Definitely launching on the 13th :smiling_imp:

1 Like