Tennis

3 Likes

Carlos Alcaraz is out of the Australian Open.

1 Like

I reckon this is a good thing for the Aussies and up and comers, but might also on the other hand be better for the likes of Nadal, Joker, Medvedev, Thiem, Auger-Aliassime etc too

1 Like

That’s a huge blow for the organisers of Kooyong Classic as well, as he was scheduled to take part in the tournament in Melbourne starting next Wednesday.

3 Likes

I nearly forgot about that, nice to see some nostalgia with the old Kooyong tennis centre still used for a tournament, an Aus Open lead-up and broadcast (globally?) too. But yes, even if still building his image to the world, he’s still World No. 1 and a significant loss for this event. Any other top and/or well known players on its list, Johnson?

1 Like

Alex de Minaur, Marin Cilic and Andy Murray are playing in next week’s Kooyong Classic.

You can see the player field here

EDIT: Cilic is in doubt after withdrawing from the Pune Open in India this week.

3 Likes

That’s good to see, Aussie of course but I think the latter might draw a lot of interest (hoepfully locals in the leafy inner south-east grab a ticket)

1 Like
1 Like

Another withdrawal from the Open.

1 Like

That’s a shame, I would have rather watched him win a second Grand Slam then watch Djokovic win for the 100th time

Usual arrogance. The season is too long but don’t dare touch my tournament.

Again, just doing his job. AO is best served in January

2 Likes

Aussies Tristan Schoolkate, Li Tu and Marc Polmans are through to their second qualifying matches at the Australian Open.

Schoolkate beat Belgian Kimmer Coppejans 6-7 7-5 6-4
Tu beat Slovak Jozef Kovalik 6-2 6-2
Polmans beat Slovak Lukas Klein 6-3 6-4

In the womens draw, Astra Sharma, Priscilla Hon and Ellen Perez also made it through to their second qualifying matches.

Sharma beat German Katharina Hobgarski 6-3 5-7 6-1
Hon beat American Katrina Scott 6-3 6-7 6-1
Perez beat fellow Aussie Petra Hule 6-0 6-2

Aussies in action later this morning:

Men’s -
Max Purcell v Damir Dzumhur (BIH)
Alex Bolt v Matteo Arnaldi (ITA)
Marc Polmans v Marco Trungelliti (ARG)
Dane Sweeny v Luciano Darderi (ITA)
Aleksander Vukic v Thiago Agustin Tirante (ARG)
Li Tu v Laurent Lokoli (FRA)
Adam Walton v Peter Gojowczyk (GER)
Tristan Schoolkate v Raul Brancaccio (ITA)
Women’s -
Destanee Aiava v Arianne Hartono (NED)
Zoe Hives v Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva (AND)
Ellen Perez v Jessica Bouzas Maneiro (ESP)
Astra Sharma v Simona Waltert (SUI)
Priscilla Hon v Katherine Sebov (CAN)

1 Like

More arrogance this morning, with AO fans being told to ‘behave themselves’ when it comes to Djokovic playing in Melbourne.

Honestly.

3 Likes

Sporting crowds are of course well known for doing what they’re told…

3 Likes

Again, he’s just doing his job. How dare he!

1 Like

They have been around forever but now that Maccas is selling them everyone has to go out and buy them. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Novak wants a potato scallop?

4 Likes

Seems everyone does. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: