Tennis

What a great career and a great guy.

4 Likes

End of an era. It’s a shame he won’t get a Serena-style grand slam send off.

He should have moved mountains to play in Wimbledon.

The end of an era. Serena a few weeks ago and Federer today. Thanks for the memories

4 Likes

End of a decorated era for Roger Federer. 21 Singles Grand Slams, 3 Hopman Cup, 2014 Davis Cup, a Gold Medal in the Doubles at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing and a Silver Medal in the Singles at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. What a legend.

3 Likes

Another G.O.A.T of tennis has now retired

1 Like

Jonathan Erlich will retire following the Tel Aviv tournament.

Retired so far:
Serena Williams
Roger Federer
Jonathan Erlich
Kirsten Flipkens
Andrea Petkovic

4 Likes

The incident occurred during the second match of the team event at the O2 Arena in London where Team Europe’s Stefanos Tsitsipas and Diego Schwartzman of Team World were doing battle in a singles tie.

The incident failed to knock World No.6 Tsitsipas off his stride, with the Greek despatching Schwartzman 6-2 6-1 to put Team Europe 2-0 up at the end of the afternoon session.

UPDATE:
Roger Federer ended his tennis career with a loss in the doubles match. Partnering with Rafael Nadal, they were defeated by Americans Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe in three sets, 4-6, 7-6, 11-9.
https://twitter.com/LaverCup/status/1573456284820570117

3 Likes

Hope the f-wit learns to never play with fire again.

2 Likes

World No.1 Iga Swiatek has withdrawn from Billie Jean King Cup finals next month, because they are too close to the WTA Finals tournament. This year’s WTA Finals will be held on October 30 to November 7 in Fort Worth, Texas, while Billie Jean King Cup finals run from November 8 to 13 in Glasgow, Scotland.

2 Likes

Many will recall that as a result of deportation, Djokovic was banned from Australia for 3 years. It is within the power of the Minister to scrap that ban.

Given the messy deportation saga, would it be fair to say there was blame on both sides last year and a 3-year ban was excessive and he should be allowed to play again? Perhaps if TA had not been complicit in him thinking he would have an exception and he had just stayed away the ban wouldn’t be in place. Social media comments seem to be against him playing however.

Well yeah, he wouldn’t have been deported if he didn’t come.

It’s not a ban on playing, it’s a ban on coming into the country. And 3 years is the default for all people.

1 Like

Imagine Djokovic v Kyrgios or something though! That’s what we really want to see, imagine the ratings, I bet there’s a few players lining up who wouldn’t mind facing him :joy:

Too many egos will create a nuclear explosion.

2 Likes

Depends on the draw I imagine.

Djokovic doesn’t see it that way, every interview he’s given he’s played the victim. If there is any kind of character test to get the 3 year ban lifted, i’d hope he would fail.

1 Like

Please, everyone who is unbiased could see Djokovic’s deportation was a political powerplay.

Karen Andrews has no power now so doesn’t really matter what she has to say. Of course the opposition government would want to cover up their incompetence. Given there are no more vaccine mandates for international travellers and we just let in an unvaccinated American swimmer to compete, I see no basis or logic for maintaining Novak’s ban.

He has given 1 interview since the deportation and I didn’t see him playing the victim. If anything it’s the worldwide media that couldn’t stop talking about it the whole year.

1 Like

I don’t mind if he returns to Australia for next years Oz Open , I don’t want him to win.Carlos Alcaras,the current US Open champion,or another of these young guys on tour who are now getting a chance to shine after the retirement of Roger Federer,Andy Murray is not at his best anymore ,too many injuries recently ,maybe Rafa Nadal will retire soon too.he’s also had plenty of injuries during his career and he’s now 36
I started following tennis in about the mid 90s, before Federer and Nadal ,then Andy Murray later Novak Djokovic started winning all the Mens Grand Slams.This was just before Venus and Serena Williams were dominating the women’s draw

Halep confirmed she has tested positive for Roxadustat, a prohibited anti-anemia drug recently approved for medical use in the European Union.

According to the EU’s medicines agency, which approved Roxadustat last year, it stimulates the body to produce more of the natural hormone erythropoietin, or EPO.

EPO has long been a doping product favoured by cyclists and distance runners owing to its ability to enhance the production of red blood cells and improve the flow of oxygen to muscles.

1 Like

Medvedev, Alcaraz, Sinner etc will be fun to watch at Melbourne Park. The recently-completed US Open was a fantastic tournament despite the absence of Djokovic

1 Like