Ten Sport

I thought the same thing, appears to be just down to resources and sponsors. It was a popular little show, am surprised 10 didn’t try it on broadcast in AFL markets on Bold or something.

1 Like

Yeah he called between 1992-1997 when Channel 10 had the rights. Generally it was only the Melbourne Tigers & SE Melbourne Magic home matches.

2 Likes

I wonder if 10 will be showing the NBL Grand Final series on main channel not Peach. Would be crazy not to.

In the TV guide for this weekend it has NBL from 3:30-4:30pm Sunday on the main channel, in the description it says “Final - condensed”.

Looks like they may be simulcasting the last hour of the Final, which is on Peach from 2:30-4:30pm.

2 Likes

I can still remember one of Stephen Quartermain’s famous commentary calls during a Melbourne Tigers home game:
“Alley-oop to (Lanard) Copeland!”

3 Likes

Wish Ten got the NBL to themselves with matches on Paramount+ to boost their subscriber rate

Well considering the limitations of the current A League coverage on P+

That’s a hard no from me.

1 Like

The NBL is bargain basement content.

NBL would not do that. It is super niche. It would only be an add on sport to complete a portfolio.

2 Likes

Only Game 2 (on Sunday) of the NBL Grand Final Series is on 10, the rest of the games are on ESPN and Kayo Freebies.

Game 2: Sunday 8 May
Tasmania JackJumpers v Sydney Kings
MyState Bank Arena, 2:30pm AEST
ESPN via Foxtel and Kayo Freebies, 10 Peach

Grand Final Schedule via NBL.com.au

1 Like

From the NBL’s perspective I think they’d rather be where more sports fans (and more specifically basketball fans) would be able to stumble across it (so ESPN/Foxtel/Kayo) rather hidden on Paramount+ where from what I’ve heard A-League fans have trouble finding their own sport.

5 Likes

The only real attraction has to be its all produced by the NBL - it couldnt be an attractive prospect if a broadcaster had to produce the coverage

According to the description for the NBL on 10 for the 3:30-4:30pm live slot. Is that they will be showing highlights of the first 3 quarters followed by last quarter live at 4:00pm. Hopefully there is no overtime, otherwise it could clash with the news.

1 Like

Ten must have signed the cheapest and nastiest deal they could get.

1 Like

I doubt they’re paying anything, outside of maybe revenue sharing (which SBS and 9 have done before).

2 Likes

3:30 Sunday.

3 Likes

NBL Sprint will also be shown live in NT, SA and WA.

Is it a one-off format, or will it return for next NBL season?

1 Like

Australian Sport First For NBL Grand Final Series.

Network 10 And NBL Bring Viewers New Production Initiative, NBL Sprint. Game 2 On 10 And 10 Peach Sunday Hoops.

Network 10, in conjunction with the NBL, will bring Australian fans an exciting first in match-day production this Sunday, for Game 2 of the Hungry Jack’s NBL Grand Final series.

Airing from 3:30pm on 10, NBL Sprint will show highlights of the first three quarters of Game 2, and then go live for the final quarter. Over on 10 Peach from 2.30pm, viewers can catch every minute of the match live as Sydney Kings take on the Tasmania JackJumpers from MyState Bank Arena in Hobart.

Adam Cush, Network 10’s Director of Sport, is delighted to partner with the NBL and bring NBL Sprint to life.

“Network 10 is always looking for ways to work with sporting bodies and our partners to innovate the viewer experience for live sport. It’s fantastic we can bring NBL Sprint to viewers on 10 this weekend.”

“It’s exciting to try a new format and what better time than with one of the most highly anticipated NBL play-offs in the competition’s history, featuring the Sydney Kings and one of the greatest sporting stories in Australia currently in the Tasmania JackJumpers. We thank NBL for trusting us with this product, as well as the valued partners to bring this to life for free-to-air viewers.”

Hungry Jacks NBL Grand Final Series Game 2, Sunday 8 May

10 Peach and 10 Play live from 2.30pm: full match.

10 from 3.30pm: NBL Sprint - first three quarter highlights, fourth quarter live.

3 Likes

It could be a trial to see how it does, if it does well then it may well be back next season

1 Like

I wonder why John Casey has been relegated to court side reporter by the NBL production company. He use to be the preeminent play by play caller for basketball.

At least he introduced the coverage from the venue. Then they call it off monitors in some studio. This is even for the grand final. Again lacking the authenticity of being at the venue. Very cheap style coverage.

1 Like