Ten Sport

It’s definitely a great set, better than the one they had for the first year which looked very temporary but can’t help but think it doesn’t really capture the spirit of the Melbourne Cup as it’s a bit dark and they literally could be broadcasting from anywhere.

This would be absolutely prefect for the Como building to replace the old Comm Games set that they have in the second studio which is used for Sport, Cheap seats etc but is probably too big.

The set will look different for the actual broadcast. It will be (at times) a live shot of the course, as though its a window.

2 Likes

Oh good…. Look forward to it.

1 Like

7 Likes

Yeah I’m aware, you can see that also in the cap posted above.

Even taking into consideration the live shot, I still don’t think the studio looks particularly like it’s at the racetrack IMO.

2 Likes

My criticism for 10 is that they’re not using as many network personalities for the coverage. Georgie Tunney is good and all but she isn’t really from the network given she also works for the ABC.

It’s a shame the dedicated 10 reporters don’t get a run. It’s good that Caty Price is a a host as she works for the network.

2 Likes

I note they had another set with an actual window for the fashion segment with Rob Mills and Kate Fairbairn

1 Like

Ten have a Paramount+ logo superimposed over a Lexus sign at the finish post on the race feed used by them and others.

I thought it was real until Sky crossed to their own reporter with half the finish post sponsor signs in the background.

Looks smooth, unlike the virtual sponsor signage at the V8s which often can’t quite keep up with the rapid camera movement.

6 Likes

Yeah big shift this year after having Stephen and Gorgi last year.

Caty is doing a good job and a Michael is great too and would be pretty familiar with audiences, shame they can’t get him on contract through the year for other coverage as he’s a great host.

Good to see other network talent getting a run through, Natalie Yoannidis from the Melb newsroom seen during coverage so far. Kate Freebairn hosting some of the fashion coverage with Rob Mills returning this year too.

Edit: Nick Butler from Melb Newsroom also seen during coverage.

Michelle Payne a good addition, she offers some good insights.

3 Likes

Looks real because it is real. Appears to be a screen that changes to show the sponsor of the race. (P+ was the sponsor of the first, Lexus the second)

7 Likes

Cue the annual Newscorp post that says 10’s coverage SLAMMED by horse racing fans.

It’s a shame as 10 is doing a good job.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind seeing some integrated news updates during the coverage, they could do them on location with Tash Exelby hosting. Would be a good cross promotion for their dwindling news service.

1 Like

Arguably they’re doing a better job than ever before and clearly people forget that 10 were the home of the cup for more than 20 years in the 80s and 90s.

The news corp people don’t know anything about coverage and assessing the quality. There’s always an agenda.

4 Likes

Credit YouTube/rubicon nz

10’s last Melbourne Cup prior to resuming broadcasting the great race in 2019. The rights expire in 2 years and I expect them to renew it.

4 Likes

Seen here.

https://twitter.com/10sportau/status/1454283341155479558?s=21

4 Likes

Paramount+ sponsors Race 1 on Derby Day and Stakes Day as part of a deal with the VRC taking over from Sepplet Wines

1 Like

I’m in two minds about that. On one hand, 10 significantly overpaid to regain the Melbourne Cup Carnival rights and the $10 - $15 million in cash they’re forking out each year for 4 days of coverage could arguably be better spent in other areas of the network. While you could make an argument back when the network acquired the rights that they needed to spend what they did in order to have a ‘flagship’ sports property, that role which the Cup Carnival has filled for them over the last few years is now being taken over by their various football rights.

On the other hand, 10 might be the only commercial FTA network that would be willing to pay the same amount (or even more) for the rights. Due to the recently announced NSW/VIC/QLD/SA racing deal and NSW Racing’s encroachment into the Victorian Spring Carnival over the last few years, Seven probably doesn’t have the same need to regain the Cup Carnival rights as they might have once had. While they would definitely like to have the rights again to complete their horse racing line-up, not having the rights doesn’t leave a hole like it would have previously.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Same graphics as last year

2 Likes

Coverage via Racing

3 Likes