Ten Sport

Matt White gone from 10 as well. One has to think the new strategy may see 10 not involved in much sport once all their rights lapse. Seems to be going in a new direction under viacomCBS.

Big loss for 10 there.

Interestingly enough the article mentions Sports Tonight remains. Shouldn’t that be one of the first shows to go (if not gone already)?

Maybe Nine might be interested in nabbing Matt for their sports team.

6 Likes

…or dare I suggest it, could Matt White even return to Seven?

He probably should’ve been used as a Sports presenter on 10 News First more often, perhaps as the main guy instead of Matt Burke but even weekend bulletins with Chris Bath (Surely they both spent time on-air together during their days at Seven?) would’ve been good!

Seven wouldn’t be hiring anyone at the rate they’re going right now.

Realistically Nine probably wouldn’t be either since they’re trying to cut costs from all divisions. Fox wouldn’t even consider it considering they’re bleeding from all corners.

1 Like

I was wondering whether he might end up at Supercars TV - he’s been involved in the eSeries broadcasts

3 Likes

It hasn’t been on air all year. I think they’ve got that one wrong.

Matt hasn’t really been doing much. Probably paying him a lot for barely any hosting or actual head of sports role. Someone else will have to anchor the Melbourne cup coverage.

3 Likes

Yes he’s been quite under-utilised at 10. Surely he could’ve hosted BBL when 10 had it and also presented sport or news on their bulletin.

As for Melbourne Cup, maybe Stephen Quartermain or Roz Kelly will host future races. Just as long as Kate Peck isn’t the host then it will be fine, don’t rate her as a host.

5 Likes

From The Age article that TV Tonight got their story from:

Separate to the closure of 10 Daily, the network also retrenched several sales staff and its head of sport, Matt White. The veteran sports journalist, who made his name on the now-defunct Sports Tonight program, returned to Ten in 2014 after a decade at Seven. “He leaves with our sincere thanks and very best wishes for the future,” a network spokeswoman said.

Sounds like he didn’t leave on his own accord if their story is to be believed.

Also contradictory reports re the status of Sports Tonight, even though it hasn’t returned this year - albeit with not much sports to talk about.

2 Likes

Wow what a shame he is heading off.

Hopefully there is no more news of redundancies any time soon :confused:

Should’ve mentioned it in the earlier post but I also agree that Sports Tonight should be gone if it hasn’t already.

Fair point, although I figured it may as well be suggested because Seven did bring Sonia Kruger (yes, I know…) back after eight years on Nine!

Unfortunately these cutbacks across the board will likely mark the end of media careers for many people, although I suspect Matt will end up being one of the lucky ones and eventually earn a position somewhere else - possibly Supercars TV or somewhere like that.

It did seem like the existence of Sports Tonight was tied to his contract, so I can’t imagine it’ll return.

1 Like

Sad to see Matt White leaving 10 for the second time.

In the US, CBS has the rights to NCAA basketball, NFL and PGA golf. You can’t say it is not interested in sport.

That is disappointing Matty White has left 10. Who will host their Supercar broadcasts now? I hope to God its not Kate Peck.

Probably Roz Kelly and/or Scott Mackinnon I would say, there’s nobody else now that Larko, Matt and Aaron Noonan are gone.

10 would be crazy to use Kate, they must know how unpopular she is considering every time they post a video with her on the 10 Motorsport social accounts they have to mute all of the posts about how much people dislike her.

1 Like

Yes but they’re really being run by the same division that runs channel 5 in the UK and that is more general entertainment. It really seems they’re not interested in sport anymore. They’ve gone cold on super cars and speculation they’re not that interested in the rugby anymore either unless they can get it really cheap.

2 Likes

Nine aiming for big events (eg Olympics, Comm Games and Wimbledon) which are up for grabs. Matt White would be a perfect host.

I think it’s clear that the network won’t be chasing the Supercars after the rights finish this year, hence why Matt White was let go.

3 Likes

Nine might be chasing Supercars… :shushing_face:

1 Like

They actually need sport full stop. It was a dark time for them when they virtually had no major sport on their schedule particular in winter. They should go for the rugby regardless, I know I might be in the minority but they could have access to the British Irish Lions Tour in the upcoming rights cycle.

2 Likes