Ten Sport

Arguably they’re doing a better job than ever before and clearly people forget that 10 were the home of the cup for more than 20 years in the 80s and 90s.

The news corp people don’t know anything about coverage and assessing the quality. There’s always an agenda.

4 Likes

Credit YouTube/rubicon nz

10’s last Melbourne Cup prior to resuming broadcasting the great race in 2019. The rights expire in 2 years and I expect them to renew it.

4 Likes

Seen here.

https://twitter.com/10sportau/status/1454283341155479558?s=21

4 Likes

Paramount+ sponsors Race 1 on Derby Day and Stakes Day as part of a deal with the VRC taking over from Sepplet Wines

1 Like

I’m in two minds about that. On one hand, 10 significantly overpaid to regain the Melbourne Cup Carnival rights and the $10 - $15 million in cash they’re forking out each year for 4 days of coverage could arguably be better spent in other areas of the network. While you could make an argument back when the network acquired the rights that they needed to spend what they did in order to have a ‘flagship’ sports property, that role which the Cup Carnival has filled for them over the last few years is now being taken over by their various football rights.

On the other hand, 10 might be the only commercial FTA network that would be willing to pay the same amount (or even more) for the rights. Due to the recently announced NSW/VIC/QLD/SA racing deal and NSW Racing’s encroachment into the Victorian Spring Carnival over the last few years, Seven probably doesn’t have the same need to regain the Cup Carnival rights as they might have once had. While they would definitely like to have the rights again to complete their horse racing line-up, not having the rights doesn’t leave a hole like it would have previously.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Same graphics as last year

2 Likes

Coverage via Racing

3 Likes

For those who are wondering, the Melbourne Cup 2021 draw took place between race 8 and race 9 today, to suit 10’s schedule. In the past the draw was held after the last race of Derby Day.

2 Likes

I assume this means the racing has been available on Paramount+?

2 Likes

I was going to share this yesterday because I also thought it was strange the P+ logo features at the bottom along with the 10 & 10 play one yet there was no coverage on the platform.

They (being P+) only sponsored the first race on Saturday and have the naming rights to next Saturday’s meet, however we could possibly see a live stream pop-up next week or some action may be available on demand.

2 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes

Help me who is this this guy…

1 Like

@Nick_Samon Michael Felgate.

2 Likes

@Abesty I looked him up and I’ve never knew that he is the husband of Jacqueline Felgate from 7NEWS.

1 Like

Another person I’m having trouble finding. What about this person?

1 Like

the VRC chairman

2 Likes

The race that stops the nation… hope the ratings are big (ten standards) in tomorrow’s reports.

Must have been an okay-to-good coverage, since there’s not much reports in here throughout the day.

1 Like

There was a small hiccup during the telecast when Michael Felgate and Cup winning jockey James McDonald (Verry Elleegant) crossed to trainer Chris Waller and wife in Sydney via Zoom, Chris called Michael “Jason” a few times, in reference to Jason Richardson from Seven.

6 Likes