Ten Sport

I think the barrier draw will be shown during 10 News First in Sydney and Melbourne at 6pm.

1 Like

Unlikely to be before the last race.

1 Like

What TV Cynic posted is the preview show for the Melbourne Cup race itself. The Friday program would be previewing the 4 days of the Carnival.

3 Likes

When Seven had the rights to Melbourne Cup Carnival it only did a preview show for the Cup race itself, not the entire carnival.

1 Like

In the late 70s/early 80s 0-10 used to have a preview show for Derby Day, Cup Day and Stakes Day on the morning (from 9am-10.30am) then returning to Flemington at 12 noon (11am for Cup Day).

AAAderbyday

4 Likes

Paramount+ seen in the background on track and on the trophy podium during Studio 10 cross this morning.

5 Likes

Given it’s on the trophy podium, I presume that one of the races is named after them?

1 Like

Correct. Paramount+ Stakes Day

5 Likes

Knowing 10 ViacomCBS’ lefty tendencies, it is interesting to see 10 ViacomCBS keen to spend massive money on, be associated with and promote a sport that many who think like that consider to be animal cruelty.

1 Like

10’s rights expire in 2023. I’m expecting them to renew it with P+ sponsoring Stakes Day. First time an OTT streaming provider sponsored a horse race.

1 Like

I’d say the next deal would also include P+ streaming.

2 Likes

I would suggest the deal the NRL did with Foxtel would be why 10 did not place a bid.

Much like the Cricket, they want the whole suite.

AFL rights negotiations will be interesting and one to watch.

No doubt wanker in chief at 7 James Warburton is concerned given his recent comments.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why.

1 Like

Will streaming rights be on the table?

That great and noble, but is likely to be met with some resistance (especially from the larger sports who have relationships with the likes of Fox)

1 Like

The Foxtel deal was signed last June and runs until 2027

1 Like

This kind of argument is why attempting to categorise everything in society into a left or right issue doesn’t work.

6 Likes

Money talks, as does profile.

Look what 10 did for the Big Bash before Foxtel / 7 and CA executives cocked that one up.

Now we just wait and see where 10 takes the A-League and football in Australia over the next few years.

3 Likes

Please reply or quote the post you are replying to, especially as it has been quite a few posts (this is all assuming you are talking about the NRL rights, yeah?) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well I don’t think they ever have been. I’m just meaning the 10 feed, just without ads (so helicopter or whatever shots during ad breaks on 10). The only paid streaming currently is on Kayo (the Racing.com stream) although I doubt that’s deliberate.

1 Like

And neither necessarily deliver the best outcome for viewers.

Ten/Paramount+ would be seen by many to be a reasonable risk - as a broadcaster, they’ve lived on the edge of business oblivion for decades and its streaming element is a late launcher into a really crowded market by a broadcaster who has had a poor showing in the streaming space previously. The thing P+ does have going for it though is its backed by ViacomCBS as part of their broader strategy to enter the streaming space in a range of markets.

They can’t expect to go from zero to 100 instantaneously.

Cricket Australia wanted overs for what the rights were realistically worth and everyone involved has been burnt by it - the money needed to secure many of these big-ticket sports is beyond the capability of a single broadcaster which leads to these split arrangements that have mixed success. CA’s desire for absolute top dollar has resulted in some questionable decisions made around who does what (no FTA coverage on Saturday night BBL games is a big one that shouldn’t have happened) because it resulted in decisions being made for the best financial figure rather than the best outcome for viewers.

We have though seen a lift in the quality of the cricket coverage (not including that in many cases there is now an option of what coverage to watch).

The history of football in Australia suggests there will be some sort of train wreck coming along soon enough.

5 Likes

2021 Melbourne Cup Carnival. Off And Racing This Saturday.

Live And Free On 10 And 10 Play On Demand.

In just one week, on that famous Tuesday in November, the eyes of the world will be firmly focused on the $8 million Lexus Melbourne Cup, where a new chapter is written, and another legend born.

But before The Race That Stops A Nation™, the 2021 Melbourne Cup Carnival begins this Saturday, 30 October with Penfolds Victoria Derby Day from 11am AEDT, live and free on 10 and 10 Play on demand.

Michael Felgate leads 10’s stellar field as host of the four-day racing spectacular, alongside racing presenter Caty Price, current trainer and Lexus Melbourne Cup winning jockey, Michelle Payne, Group 1 winning jockey James Winks, form expert David Gately and racing reporter Georgie Tunny. International racing expert, Francesca Cumani will also join us from the UK on Cup Day.

Rob Mills and Kate Freebairn will have all the fashion and entertainment covered including the Myer Fashions on your Front Lawn competition, and joining them is presenter Natalie Hunter who also has the privilege of presenting the winning trophies.

Following two massive days of racing comes Kennedy Oaks Day on Thursday, 4 November and Paramount+ Stakes Day on Saturday, 6 November.

4 Likes