Ten (Southern Cross)

Only six months?! That’s not good business practice. It should be years, not months. It should have lasted until at the same time as the agreement between 9 and WIN expiration date.

6 months won’t leave enough time for any potential merger or purchase.

1 Like

Nah. I don’t think so. They had all the time between 2021 and now to reach a deal but failed to come to any agreement. 2 years is a lot of time.

1 Like

Because that’s not how SCA works.

Watch them slowly integrate their TV operations with Ten - first sales, then playout etc. - to the point that SCA’s broadcasts are otherwise operationally indistinguishable from Ten’s… and only then sell.

3 Likes

Would SCA do the same to the remaining stations in Darwin, Central Australia and Tasmania to the 7 network, 1st sales, then play out to make it very similar to the other 7 network stations?

If it meant slowly, are they talking months or years?

2 Likes

Yes I know, but “the FFA Cup” doesn’t exist. You’d think they’d know that…

1 Like

Hence why they have a deal sewn up indefinitely. Did you ready my post?

1 Like

And by all accounts they’ve been trying - but it’s a very difficult market. Realistically there is only really one buyer in Paramount, but that has its own challenges

1 Like

It will probably be even more challenging in a very short time in the six months timeframe. I just find it really odd that the agreement has only been extended for six months.

I mean, WIN and NEC had a 6 month agreement back in 2016. The only difference this time is there’s no chance of SCA stealing back the Nine affiliation after these 6 months end :laughing:

If a deal cannot be reached between Ten and SCA by the end of 2023, what will happen then?

They need more time to sort issues out, and I feel 6 months is too short a period to work something out, they just can’t expect to make a deal overnight. Ir doesn’t work like that.

Off air? SCA puts its own cheap content out for broadcast? Another extension?

The smallest regional affiliate and the last place metro broadcaster… not many options for either. A buyout which has been mentioned previously would also have complications due to the JV/solus areas SCA has

1 Like

You don’t have an affiliate deal with a network if you’re owned by the network.

2 Likes

So what ever happens, it won’t affect WIN in northern NSW?

If I remember correctly the last time WIN and 9 had a six month contract extension, none of the issues involved were sorted at the end of the extension. If SCA and Ten can sort out issues within the 6 month time frame and come to a deal it would be nothing short of a miracle and both ten and SCA would be extremely lucky But I very much doubt it

Not necessary. Even ATN-7, HSV-7, SAS-7, etc are technically “affiliated” with SNOL. Same with the aggregated regional licenses formerly known as Prime. Also the affiliation deal that Prime did prior to being O&O by Seven is still technically in effect.

3 Likes

Yes I did, and for the markets in which we were discussing, it doesn’t make sense.
Firstly you used the word Prime, which is a brand that doesn’t exist anymore. You also placed WIN and Prime in the same category. And secondly, there is no “deal” in effect now that 7WM have acquired those markets. Allocated budgets, yes. Affiliation deals, no.

3 Likes

I think we’re straying off topic.

2 Likes

This :arrow_up::arrow_up:

I’ll add another mark to the tally of how many times this issue has been “debated” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

They’ll get a deal - even if it takes a series of 6-month extensions. They both need a deal and there isn’t any great urgency now that Prime is off the table and WIN has a longterm agreement with 9

4 Likes

Sales is a weird one - I’d have thought SCA would have more to offer taking over Ten sales than the other way around.

What’s a better outcome for them, sell someone national ads including radio and TV in one buy, or going to Ten to buy national television and SCA to buy national radio?

1 Like

In the event of ten purchasing SCA 10 network stations in regional qld, regional vic and southern NSW or a merger, will the regional news noodle update cease to exist or continue under 10 network ownership and if so where will the regional news updates come from?