Ten News First Presenters and Reporters

Could you elaborate?

1 Like

Just because someone’s a meteorologist doesn’t mean they’re automatically a good presenter. Anyone can read information supplied by the bureau - personally I’d prefer a good presenter.

Yes Brownie was a meteorologist and we all loved him, but I look back now and think that Angie Asimus is much better. I mean, he wasn’t terrible but there are better communicators out there. I’m sure he’s a lovely bloke and I’m sorry that he effectively lost his job, however I just found him to be robotic and stilted sometimes.

2 Likes

I actually thought of the opposite. Very lively (but still professional) as a weather presenter and that time when the screen froze he literally aced the whole thing. Certainly a better presenter than most of the people who does weather these days and it’s a travesty that we haven’t seen someone of Brownie’s calibre on air for so long.

7 Likes

So you don’t then support the appointment of Adam either???

1 Like

Poor form- should’ve brought back Mike Larkin

1 Like

Why? Mike is no longer part of the station. Things have moved on. Not poor form at all.

he was doing something for 10 a while ago. Segment every Friday.

That’s right. A while ago.

Former Prime7 reporter Han Nguyen reporting for 10 tonight.

1 Like

They brought him back to do this segment called ‘Mike’s Melbourne’ about things that were happening around, well, Melbourne

wasn’t this his first night? Very few presenters knock it out of the ball park on night one!

David Brown used to present weather in Melbourne and Sydney for many years for 7 News.

That’s long enough for FootyKick to form an opinion of his style of presenting.

1 Like

Oops, my mistake! I thought this was about the new guy. I should have scrolled back further :woozy_face:

1 Like

Ohh sorry I see that now. No worries!

Just to give some more context on my opinion, because meteorologists know so so much about the weather, I think their forecasts can become overly complicated and detailed with stuff included you could go without knowing.

More of a general point but I’d wonder how much the average person takes detailed notice of things on the weather report like wind gusts and how big the swell in the water is. I assume most people are there to see tomorrow’s temperature and the next seven days. My point is that anyone can communicate the information supplied by the best forecasters at the bureau, so you’d want the best of the best presenters to do this. Networks just love to use meteorologists so they can include the term in their promos. (Nothing against Brownie personally, I’m sure he’s a lovely bloke and he’s definitely a good meteorologist).

1 Like

To a certain extent, yes, it is a lot about the window pressing a.k.a. promos. Been happening since the 1970s, probably even earlier. But that’s not to say that meterologists can’t make good presenters. The two qualities are not mutually exclusive.

A think a lot of people do look at those sort of things. I have a relative that runs marathons and does a lot of long distance running. They naturally look at the top temps for the days ahead but also taking account of things like wind forecasts, chance of rain, etc. That’s just one example. There would be lots of others. Farmers would be paying close attention to weather forecasts though they probably rely on more comprehensive reporting and analysis than just the 2 minutes at the end of the news.

People that work or follow recreational activities around the seas would also pay close attention to the weather.

4 Likes

I too also look at wind gusts due to living on an island only accessible via water taxi as there is no bridge. Especially during the summer storm season this can play a part into me leaving the island or remaining on it… boaties and fisheries would be another two groups that would probably look at this information :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last day today. Back in 2022.

2 Likes

Thursday (23.12.2021) & Friday (24.12.2021):

Lachlan Kennedy is presenting in Sydney and Brisbane tonight. Paris Martin on weather.

Jelisa Apps has been doing sport all week.

5 Likes

Lachlan Kennedy also presented the Perth live edition of Ten News First. Paris Martin also presented weather. A busy evening for both individuals with three bulletins.

4 Likes