Ten News First Presenters and Reporters

Who’s attacking her?

On Studio 10 this morning

“I did have to think long and hard about accepting this honour. But, I’m a firm believer in being in the room to change it… We’re seeing structures that were set up to oppress first nations people being dismantled … and I’m really honoured to be part of the change and accepting recognition for that work.”

Reporting on her award on Midday News

5 Likes

Lol accepting the award helps the cause on the path to change? I’ll have what she’s smoking.

Surely not accepting the award makes more noise then accepting it.

1 Like

Or we could just ditch the public holiday and the honours list. We have NAIDOC week this month. We could just switch the public holiday to a day that recognises indigenous history.

2 Likes

I agree.

I think Narelda accepting the award was a major step backwards for change today.

1 Like

The fact she is Aboriginal should not be a criterion to be get an honour.

Yes, the path to reconciliation is going to grind to a screeching halt now. And Narelda’s certainly not going to have a bigger platform or more credibility amongst a wider cross section of the community to advocate for it either :roll_eyes:

1 Like

She can’t advocate for change and talk publicly about her not supporting the Royals etc and then accept an award from them.

Hypocrisy at its highest.

2 Likes

Maybe but, then again, Albo seems to manage do it. The world is full of grey and if hypocrisy is the worst ones accused of then that’s probably a win.

Absolutely. I think the bigger issue at hand here is Narelda even getting the award. Surely there are many more journalists out there more worthy? She just reads an auto cue, and in my opinion isn’t even that good at it. Strange choice of nominee to begin with despite the other issues at hand.

1 Like

Totally disagree. What she’s achieved, and the advocacy she’s undertaken for minorities, in a mainstream industry, on a commercial channel is quite remarkable and worthy of recognition.

Yes, there are always other people but you gotta choose someone each year.

1 Like

it’s not just recognition for her TV work, which spans both Ten (20+ years) and SBS, but also for her community work:

Health Advocacy
• Ambassador, Breast Cancer Foundation of Western Australia, current.
• Ambassador, The Centre for Cerebral Palsy, current.
• Ambassador, Count Me In, Disability Services, Department of Communities Western
Australia, current.

Motor Neurone Disease Association of Western Australia
• Patron, current.
• Emcee, Walk to d’Feet MND fundraiser, 2016-2019.

Indigenous Advocacy
• Ambassador, Waalitj Foundation, current.
• Presenter, Reconciliation Australia, 2021.
• Keynote Speaker, National Reconciliation Action Plan Conference, 2019.

LGBTQI Advocacy
• Gay and Lesbian Freedom Centre, current.
• Ambassador, The Pinnacle Foundation, since 2019.

8 Likes

Fair enough.

Monday (12.06.2023)- Friday (16.06.2023):
Hugh Riminton presenting in Sydney/Brisbane this week.
Jessica Browne still presenting in Perth, despite Lee Steele back reporting.

Tiffany Warne presenting in Adelaide on Monday.

6 Likes

I’ll take the bate, what’s that about?

Agree. Scathing of the monarchy, especially when The Queen died, yet willingly accepts the award directly related to the monarchy. Fine if you she wants to take a stance, but stick to it.

According to The Australian’s Media Diary yesterday, Ashleigh Raper, the ABC’s NSW state political reporter, was set to be announced to replace PVO as 10 News First’s political editor.

4 Likes

Was or is?

Was. The Media Diary article said:

Diary heard strong mail on the long weekend that Ashleigh Raper, the ABC’s NSW state political reporter, was set to be announced to fill the role shortly. Raper played a prominent role on the panel for the ABC’s NSW election coverage in March, anchored by David Speers and Sarah Ferguson, and performed well.

10 has been offering a strict “no comment” on who’ll get the role. But if Diary’s late mail is right, it would entail Raper moving from Sydney to Canberra full-time.

2 Likes

Yes apparently there was a strict clause in having the person be based out of Canberra full time rater than just sitting weeks. Clearly, the arrangement did not work well when PVO was the political editor.

I think I readf somewhere that Dan Sutton and Ursual Heger were sounded out but didn’t want the role. Annika Smethurst was also sounded out but did not want to move from Melbourne as she has a young family.