Ten News First Presenters and Reporters

Agree. Scathing of the monarchy, especially when The Queen died, yet willingly accepts the award directly related to the monarchy. Fine if you she wants to take a stance, but stick to it.

According to The Australian’s Media Diary yesterday, Ashleigh Raper, the ABC’s NSW state political reporter, was set to be announced to replace PVO as 10 News First’s political editor.

4 Likes

Was or is?

Was. The Media Diary article said:

Diary heard strong mail on the long weekend that Ashleigh Raper, the ABC’s NSW state political reporter, was set to be announced to fill the role shortly. Raper played a prominent role on the panel for the ABC’s NSW election coverage in March, anchored by David Speers and Sarah Ferguson, and performed well.

10 has been offering a strict “no comment” on who’ll get the role. But if Diary’s late mail is right, it would entail Raper moving from Sydney to Canberra full-time.

2 Likes

Yes apparently there was a strict clause in having the person be based out of Canberra full time rater than just sitting weeks. Clearly, the arrangement did not work well when PVO was the political editor.

I think I readf somewhere that Dan Sutton and Ursual Heger were sounded out but didn’t want the role. Annika Smethurst was also sounded out but did not want to move from Melbourne as she has a young family.

Ashleigh Raper Appointed Network Political Editor, 10 News First.

Network 10 Announces Ashleigh Raper As Network Political Editor

Highly respected political reporter, Ashleigh Raper has been appointed Network Political Editor and will lead Network 10’s political coverage on 10 News First, and also feature on The Project and Studio 10.

Previously the NSW state political reporter for ABC News, Ashleigh has been a fixture on Sydney’s Macquarie Street covering all the major stories.

Martin White, Head of Broadcast News, Paramount Australia and New Zealand, said: “Ashleigh’s track record speaks for itself. She’s a journo of the highest quality, with a history of covering big political stories and elections. I’m thrilled she’s joining 10 and can’t wait for her to get started.”

Ashleigh said: “It’s a dream come true to head to the nation’s capital and cover politics at a time when the issues are impacting people like never before.”

“I can’t wait to join Network 10 and the team in Canberra.”

Born and raised in Sydney, Ashleigh has spent the past 15 years working in ABC newsrooms across the country as a reporter and presenter for television, radio, digital and social media platforms.

Ashleigh started her career in regional radio reporting for ABC Orange and ABC Newcastle, before returning to Sydney to continue her career in radio as a newsreader for Triple J. Twelve months later the talented reporter moved into television where she has been honing her skills writing, producing and presenting state and national news stories for the past 13 years.

During her career, Ashleigh has led the state political coverage across ABC NSW. She has been there for all the big moments and breaking stories across the state including landmark legislation, resignations, leadership spills and the recent NSW state election.

Ashleigh was the trusted face of ABC NSW’s Covid coverage and reported on the state’s worst disasters including the Lismore floods and the black summer bushfires.

Ashleigh is also a political columnist, panellist, analyst and podcast co-host.

Ashleigh will commence in her new role next month.

12 Likes

Sounds like a good appointment and differenitate from the male political editors leading the other commerical news networks. It will also be good that she is based out of Canberra for the role rather than FIFO.

9 Likes

I was coming on to say ‘I wonder how Stella will take this?’… only to find out that PVO’s pet has since quit!

3 Likes

No great loss. She rubs everyone up the wrong way.

5 Likes

Shouty honed her skills at Sky News. She was never ready to step up to political editor. She needs more experience and nuance to her reporting. No great loss. She’s easily replaceable.

Edit: 10 could’ve waited a week or two and Andrew Probyn would’ve been available as political editor. He’s probably too expensive to replace shouty.

10 Likes

Sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

2 Likes

Anyone that was going to come in as head of the bureau would likely have a tough task dealing with staff morale anyway so sounds like the they’re better off with a clean slate that doesn’t involve Stella.

Probyn would have been a good get but as others say probably too expensive plus I suspect 10 probably wanted a female to lead things for a bit after PVO.

2 Likes

New reporter in Brisbane. She comes off a bit green compared with the other hires they’ve made from other regional newsrooms previously, but I’m sure she’ll improve.

https://twitter.com/_biancacarbone/status/1667823081057026048?s=46&t=RPKXX3QJ5bwM_6c5rMb0SA

https://twitter.com/10newsfirstqld/status/1669246155924840448?s=46&t=RPKXX3QJ5bwM_6c5rMb0SA

3 Likes

It probably doesn’t help either there are so many new and junior reporters now in Brisbane all at once either, with the more experienced ones in Georgina, Pippa and Tim not reporting full time.

1 Like

According to The Guardian, there’s reportedly a bit more to it:

Sources said Todorovic had been assured by management she was in the running for the promotion as she has been acting in the role since PVO left. When she was overlooked for Raper, who has no federal political experience, she handed in her resignation.

If that’s correct, seems like it’s not really much more than something that occurs from time-to-time when someone is overlooked for a promotion.

1 Like

You’d assume it was a merit based appointment based on the external advertisement. Stella would’ve been welcome to apply for the position and be interviewed like other candidates. Following a process an appointment is made. Stella would’ve been considered alongside other candidates.

She clearly has no idea how any of this works if she felt entitled to the position. It’s probably best for her she moves onto another role elsewhere.

Yep, I and most people in her situation would too.

1 Like

Ursula Heger presenting Midday today (Monday 20th)

Narelda (Tuesday 21st)

2 Likes

Alan Murrell presented the Adelaide bulletin yesterday. I believe this is the first time he has presented since it relocated (partially) back to the state.

Tiffany Warne presented tonight.

8 Likes

He should be the main fill-in.
I don’t get this obsession in Adelaide of using the weather presenters as fill-ins. (mainly at 7 but 10 doing it now too)

2 Likes