Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Well a few might :sunglasses:

That might have been a deal breaker. It was reported that she left Seven the first time around because they hired David Johnston and wanted to pair them up.

6 Likes

That’s right. Her hiring alone would be worth what to the timeslot - 10,000 viewers… 5,000… no difference. I’m saying very little to no difference. But what they should be doing (to repeat) is more local news bulletins around their prime-time programming.

News at 10:00 or 9:30, presented by her in Melbourne, would be the perfect program to follow on from shows like “Have You Been Paying Attention?”. I’ll hold off suggesting news at 9 for now, because they can get a good number at 9:00 already with shows like HYBPA. It’s at 9:30 where the viewers fall off a cliff. And local news with the likes of Jennifer would be better than what they have now.

And definitely she should be on at 6.

At a time when news numbers are dropping for all networks an extra 10,000 viewers in one market is huge - that’s an instant 10% increase in Ten’s audience and potentially what can be charged for advertising between 5 and 6pm.

1 Like

Actually I shouldn’t have phrased it like that. I can’t imagine that she would make much difference. I mean she is good, but, as a general rule, I have tended to view solo female-anchored news bulletins as consistently lower-rating than bulletins with male readers.

Having said that, maybe Ten thinks she’ll attract a better demo.

At the very least, I think they should add a 6-6:30 with her.

correct. over 100 vacancies across the company

Wait, you mean they need to fill 100 jobs?

I’m assuming that from all of the redundancies over the years, they need 100+ vacancies filled to match how many worked there pre-2011?

You can tell there’s more reporters now as the bulletin seems more resourced as they’re covering more local stories. Heading in the right direction to improve the news service.

3 Likes

Hugh Riminton is presenting in Sydney tonight.

1 Like

Don’t be so sure. Some certainly will.

1 Like

no. 100+ left last year and the year before (not just news)

filling those vacancies returns TEN to the level they decided was acceptable at the last round of redundancies (2014?)

1 Like

That’s still great news!

So that’s around the time before the axed wake up and still had morning and late news??

Dont think so. It was after all those bulletins were axed.

1 Like

So they are now at a level of staff after the original cuts to all the bulletins? If we see a further bump, maybe we can assume other bulletins are in the pipeline :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We are currently at the level of staff “after” the 2014 cuts I believe. Still not sufficient for extra bulletins at this stage.

3 Likes

Do you know if there are plans to employ more staff? Or is this later down the track?

Possibly…

1 Like

Do you think Stephen would move to Sydney?

He could do a sports editor role (perhaps host a sports show) and present weekend sport. They haven’t had anyone as sports presenter in a good 6-8 months.

Hopefully someone can refresh my memory here: When were the budget cuts made which saw longtime political reporter Paul Bongirono and others disappear from our screens? Same time as the axing of bulletins or a little after?