Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Emma Lawrence is presenting sport this weekend.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Chris thanked everyone for being apart of her first bulletin on 10 at the end.

and here is the full bulletin for those interested

13 Likes

Ugh, can’t watch the full one here in PH. The WMG content hit me.

1 Like

Chris has so much authority. Seven are fools.

10 Likes

You have to wonder what went on behind the scenes at Seven considering Bath is doing the equivalent job 3.5 years down the track at another network.

12 Likes

Not to mention all the other high profile presenters/reporters who’ve left Seven since 2014…

6 Likes

And probably on a lot less than the $500k she walked away from as well.

5 Likes

There comes a point in life though that dignity is higher and more important than money. I suspect she lost her dignity and importance the moment Ferguson was appointed over her and it was a route of no return.

She’s done a fantastic job tonight. One would imagine that if she is still in the main chair of Seven News Sydney they’d probably be beating Nine now.

5 Likes

Bath’s first bulletin at 10 was a stark reminder of just how good she is and how stupid 7 were to replace her with Ferguson. I’d be looking over my shoulder if I was Sandra Sully.

11 Likes

For all we know, 10 could be working on a late news bulletin and Sandra might love that national exposure and her former role!

3 Likes

Chris Bath in Perth looked really excited to be there, fumbling over the closer and beaming from ear to ear.

4 Likes

another bulletin… to fill out the other 3 days of the week?

Don’t know why but this notion seems to come up semi-frequently around here for some reason - I know Bath’s supporters here won’t like me saying this but I doubt it. While I don’t believe Ferguson was the right person to replace her, Bath being ‘moved aside’ (for lack of a better term) wasn’t done for the sakes of it…

3 Likes

Did she film another closer for the Perth edition? I thought 10 would just keep the weather segment from the national edition and just update the main news and sport.

it’s a local bulletin. the title cards and all were the Perth graphics and proper local news, sport and weather, like the weekday edition

7 Likes

Before the Bath/Ferguson switched happened (hard to believe it’s been nearly five years, time flies!) Peter Overton was beating Chris Bath by a margin of 100k or more at one point, right?

Although the main problem with Seven News Sydney was, and still is the quality of their content. They’d been falling for quite some time beforehand (remember when tabloid stories like the arrests of Brian McFadden and Joel Madden were top headlines?), but I think standards dropped alarmingly when Ferguson took over from Bath as Seven Sydney’s main presenter.

The “Everywhere” campaign & “On Seven News tonight/Seven News Starts Now/Welcome to Seven News” Opener era (with presenter on-screen for Opening Headlines) was a recent low for them - thank goodness they’ve since moved away from that but sadly, Ten still haven’t got the message when it comes to their News Openers! :confused:

Really? If there’s one segment of the bulletin that should be localised for Perth (or any market for that matter), surely it’s the weather?!

1 Like

Did anyone record the Perth edition?

It’s always hard to know how things could have turned out differently but Bathie was really the least of Seven’s problems during that era. Content and presentation were absolutely garbage, as were their promotions.

IIRC ratings plummeted even further under Mark, it was only after they made bigger changes and put money into revamping the bulletin (and a masssive, massive marketing push) that things started to recover. And even now they remain a noticeable distance behind Nine with very little prospect of surging ahead anytime soon.

5 Likes

Things seemed to go from bad to worse at Seven when Peter Meakin was replaced by Rob Raschke. While the slide started under Meakin’s watch, it accelerated under the new management. I don’t think Raschke had a good grasp on the Sydney market after all those years in Brisbane. The quality of the product was noticeably inferior after he took over and you could tell Bath wasn’t always comfortable with with some of the changes which put her at odds with Raschke and Chris Willis. Having the Nine reject read three days only served to undermine Bath’s position and confuse viewers.

I’d say Meakin’s presence at Ten has a lot to do with why Bath is there. He showed a lot of faith in her when he was running the show at Seven. She wasn’t always the natural successor to Ian Ross but she seemed to win him over with her charm, professionalism and competence. If both had remained at Seven I think the race between Seven and Nine would be a lot tighter today.

7 Likes