Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Everything else suggested is just dumb. As I have said countless times - and same as TV Head - they something sassy and fun like her or, as I have suggested for years, Fox and Friends First.

Reflexive, but alright. I’ll rephrase.

I honestly think hiring 150 people will provide more value to 10 and will cost on par or less than either of the two other programs have to pay to multi-million dollar contracts and tenured senior staff. I see plenty of synergistic write-offs.

I’ve learnt from the master @lexington
Not in a million years would it cost less than a national show.
You’d need local anchors, production staff, managers etc…
In SIX states.

2 Likes

true.

Instead of 3 presenters, you’d have 15.
Instead of 4 vision editors, you’d have 10.
Instead of 1 production desk, you’d have 5.
…

4 Likes

Without getting into the whole debate about whether 10 should or shouldn’t do breakfast, it’s worth noting that the local option isn’t as prohibitive as you’d think.

Global in Canada do local news in individual markets across the country, many much smaller than any Australian capital city.

This is achieved using centralised control rooms, providing national and international content from a single production desk and adding local news and other content at a smaller local production desk.

I’m not saying there aren’t other complicating and/or prohibitive factors or whether it’s the right strategy… but it’s not as black and white as it might seem.

There is one reason & one reason only why 7, 9 & abc do a national breakfast show. It’s much cheaper than 5/6 local versions. Same reason why all Australian states get the 10 Sydney news bulletin inflicted upon them on weekends.

2 Likes

Is there any discernible difference in the content and structure of the Ten bulletin compared with Seven and Nine (apart from the circus clown presenting weather in Sydney)?

2 Likes

To my eye it’s clearly targeting a less bogan more sophisticated market.

1 Like

Funnily enough I had considered using “bogan” to describe the audience Ten was targeting but thought the word was too provocative.

“Sophisticated” certainly doesn’t spring to my mind when I think of Ten News or The Project.

2 Likes

I think it’s more worthwhile spending than having everyone based in Sydney and chipping in for incidental costs like million-dollar hosts, multi-day OBs, celebrity bookings, techs for a summer concert series and cash giveaway funds. These aren’t small line items relative to the rest of a conventional show’s annual budget.

10 will find more value for its money if it can build News First into more TV hours, have more nationwide staff who can update local stories on 10daily, plan bigger reporting projects by utilizing both dayside and nightside reporters. Not have 5-minute segments in the morning that alienate uni students, commuters and busy parents before school who can’t concentrate on their phones while preparing for the day, but who can blast their TV and glance every so often - the under-50s they’ve talked about.

10 News First in the Morning may or may not have a ring to it, but if Ross Dagan can support a whole division’s performance with the addition of a daypart in resources, not just a product, I think quite a few upfront costs can essentially be written off.

You and I may not agree on a price tag, but I’m sure we would agree that 10 needs to earn that value for its target audience.

2 Likes

You don’t target bogans with thin fonts, flat graphics, world maps and orchestral themes.

3 Likes

The other two networks are the ones doing daily stories on Aldi. Ten’s news is more to the point.

10 Likes

I agree with @jens. Especially since the 10 NF Launch it looks classy & sophisticated.

2 Likes

Fox and friends is not a fun variety breakfast show. It’s a progranda tv show to push the ring wing bias that channel has. So your idea based on your comment is dumb as well.

Local Morning news that leads into Studio Ten, is the way to go. Not to copy what the US cable news network does.

1 Like

Such a pity that sophisticated audience Ten seeks to appeal to with those thin fonts, flat graphics and the orchestral theme music are all on the daily commute at 5pm or are ferrying Tarquin and Allegra to violin practice and ballet. Hopefully those branding elements also appeal to the residents sitting down to their evening meal in Shady Acres retirement village or the unemployed stoner on his second pack of Winnie Blues for the day.

5 Likes

Can you read? I said Fox and Friends First.

And yeah, local morning News show is real sensible idea to catch those 4 viewers in Adelaide who will watch that.

It’s still just a variant on an original idea on a Right wing propaganda network. Why would you want Fox News to penetrate Ten market with an Australian variant? Have you even watched Fox and Friends in the US? Clearly you haven’t. Go watch it and see why an australian type version here would so not work. Unless you watch Sky News. Stop trying to turn Ten into some Fox related thing. It ain’t going to happen.

Morning news is better then having an American type breakfast show penetrate our market and labeling it Fox and Friends First. Yeah great idea. Not. Not original.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Just because you don’t agree with their opinion doesn’t mean you should call their ideas dumb.

1 Like

To me, the ‘News First’ branding currently talks the talk but it doesn’t walk the walk. It’s the ‘Eyewitness News’ situation all over again…

In other words, such branding is currently ‘meaningless’ and doesn’t make sense when I’m more likely to find out about something on Twitter before I would hear about it on 10

NOTE: Sorry if you saw this post previously - posted it in the wrong thread

6 Likes

Coming up.

Love the presentation style here, very fast and to the point. Would also love Ten to utilize the “control centre” backdrop for updates throughout the evening.

1 Like