Ten News First Content and Appearance

Do you know how much cost difference there is between Telstra fibre connection and NDI streaming tech? The licenses for NDI are costly, but I would assume it cheaper than the networking required.

Using streaming tech makes it a lot cheaper and easier I would’ve thought.

Each of the TV stations have a number of lines connected to the video network that come in and out of the building, and get allocated to different productions at different stages of the day. Each is capable of only carrying one signal at a time.

@lexington’s point is that you’d need 1 line for autocue running from Sydney, 1 line for the camera feed, 1 line for return video from the host studio (so that the presenters can talk to each other at the right time). That’s at least 3 feeds.

Behind the scenes, these lines also get used for certain 2-way crosses, linear playback of stories (if the story is late braking and doesn’t have time to transfer digitally) and finally to actually feed the broadcasts back out of the building… and that’s just for a news broadcast - there could be other productions in the works that could also need these resources as well.

They’re therefore valuable commodities, and even getting rid of 1 would be a huge cost saving.

5 Likes

SRT is another option that may work. It’s good for distributing live broadcast streams through the internet and is relatively cheap (no licensing for the protocol itself, just for the equipment).

Just not as many.

Monopolies by former government agencies’ll do that…

One Telstra DVN connection is about $20k a year. That’s one video path in one direction.

NDI is open source so no cost, but there’s latency and quality trade offs.

Exactly. I believe Brisbane went from 8 out and 6 in to 1 in and 1 out. 12x$20k saved per year, for one station…

It’s just not quite there for broadcast spec though. There’s a reason Dejero, LiveU and these streaming options aren’t used for primary delivery…

4 Likes

They could always self-op the autocue, just feed in the script locally.

1 Like

The costs are a little eye watering. But let’s not forget, Prime managed to pull this off quite well for GWN7’s news. I think if a lean regional affiliate can weigh the costs and still go ahead with it, then it’s absolutely possible for 10 to do the same.

7 Likes

Midday bulletin, might be of interest.

1 Like

It’s impressive GWN7 can still do their live bulletin locally, but it has no competition. 10 in Adelaide I’m guessing was running 3rd in its timeslot.

I imagine the reason part of the reason 10 still bother to do a live read for Perth (even if it’s out of Sydney) with a well-known Perth personality is that it’s competitive in its timeslot. (Yes, I know it can also use the Sydney studio without issues because timezones).

2 Likes

10 was ahead of 9 before the local news was axed.

I thought they were ahead until the News Revolution, or was that weekend only?

From memory, 10 were fairly competitive with 9 but only occasionally outdated them. Numbers plummeted when presentation moved to Melbourne.

I wasn’t talking about 6pm. All I know is that Nine’s 5pm bulletins were only competitive after 10 had axed the local news.

BTW, a (VERY scripted) handover on Friday night:

4 Likes

Midday now does a state-based lookaround at the weather maps

Just a reminder that today Adelaide will receive their local bulletin, as will Melbourne.
I’ll be recording Melbourne’s bulletin for any changes.

5 Likes

Only just remembered yesterday as I was scrolling through the posts.

With the way 10 ‘promotes’ their return you’d be forgiven to think if they didn’t want it to succeed as much as we here do.

5 Likes

Will be interesting to see how much less of a workload this will be on the Melbourne office. Do we know if Adelaide is still going to be controlled out of Melbourne?

1 Like

Adelaide’s being done out of Sydney.

4 Likes

Yes, we might see a few changed tonight in Melbourne. The story rundown will definitely be flexible across the 90 minutes. We may also see some live crosses after 5.15… and expect the local cityscape background to remain throughout.

2 Likes

So from tonight only Sydney and Brisbane will be subjected to the Frankenstein faux local bulletins. It will only get worse when daylight savings comes around and we are subjected to the combined sport section and non local 6pm half hour. The bulletins are trash. They cater for neither market and therefore are virtually redundant.

3 Likes

Not sure if anyone caught it but Jen did a quick farewell on Friday’s Adelaide’s bulletin and then handed the baton over to Kate, so to speak, who appeared briefly to close the bulletin. Lots of local imagery used.

2 Likes

Posted above.

2 Likes