Ten News First Content and Appearance

I can understand the comedy specials after HYBPA… Probably a bad example. From memory the comedy specials rate well.

My thinking was more towards those endless US crime repeats they’ll play at 9.30. I can’t see viewers continuing to watch them just to watch the late news after.

Sounds like 10 needs to improve those specific schedules with better content instead of filler.

3 Likes

The Late News might start at 10.30pm to start off with, but as the weeks go on, the overruns will creep in. And the news will start at random times of 10.40, 10.47, 10.55. 11.04 etc. This is the sad reality of all commercial tv post 7.30pm.

3 Likes

That is changing. There will new content Monday to Wednesday at 9:30ish.

I actually suspect that 10 will actually lose some share because NCIS, Late News and an encore of The Project will overall rate lower than NCIS, NCIS repeat and Late News

2 Likes

10 is not the go to network for news so maybe this argmakes more sense for 7 and 9

However live news and sport is the only thing FTA has that streaming does not

There are hundreds and hundreds of quality dramas to watch on streaming.

News at 9.30 does incredibly well on nine on Sundays and they have stuck with it

I think there is a brand around it too.

Overseas networks tend to have news at 9 too

US, Canada, Europe

2 Likes
4 Likes

Great to see some of the Thredbo Coverage (1997). Even showed The Morning News when it came out of Melbourne in the 90s.

1 Like

I put more on that in the historic events topic.

1 Like

I wonder if the intro voice over for the Late News would be done by Sandra.

3 Likes

Promos now include a start time

10 Likes

I think Sandra only did the afternoon V/O until they could get Jennifer Byrne in to record some V/O’s with her voice, so it may be Sandra if they can’t gent Jennifer in to do some V/O’s in time.

4 Likes

Seems to only have been a working title for when the first announced the return of late news.

Would still love to know what marketing was smoking when they thought of that name!

7 Likes

Thing is… that title could have worked given different circumstances. @OnAir had a really intriguing idea upthread for a bulletin counting down the day’s top 10 stories:

(That said, “10 at 10: The Late News” is a hopelessly clunky title, so it’s good they did change it)

1 Like

Interesting chat but went on for a bit too long, even with the subtle editing to cut out some parts of what Sandra was saying.

1 Like

10 play sent out an email this afternoon with “The Hottest Shows This Week” teasing the return of The Cheap Seats etc but not a mention of the Late News.

But it had promotion in the weekend watch list email newsletter on Friday :thinking:

I don’t get this network sometimes.

2 Likes

I wonder if their strategy for differentiating it would be a different arrangement of their news theme? It worked for Nine with Nightline.

3 Likes

Still haven’t seen any info yet on how to stream the late news on 10 Play, though this banner is now showing on the site - though the links don’t provide any further details.

Nothing showing on YouTube either.

4 Likes

They’ll probably set up a YouTube live stream not long before the 10pm airing, like they did with Breakfast.

4 Likes

Yeah will probably be last minute you would think, but I thought they could que that sort of thing so people can subscribe to be updated or ‘waiting’ when it goes live etc.

Just seems a bit ordinary (though should we really be surprised… probably not) that they haven’t put some more detailed information out as how to how to actually watch it on 10 Play.

Ahh… 10

4 Likes

I noticed the Late news is now scheduled from 10:30pm - 10:53pm tonight, very specific.

23 mins is usually about the amount of content in a 30 minute slot without ads, no? Is 10 planning on just running the news without any ad breaks given the bulletin is streaming first?

Would find it hard to believe that they would do that, just trying to understand the run time of the bulletin and how they will insert ads etc.

6 Likes

That’s odd from 10’s end, having it scheduled for 23 minutes, instead of the usual 30 minute slot.

It would be silly for 10 to show this without ads. It’s unheard of.

It was supposed to screen for 30 minutes this week. But then again, it is scheduled for 25 minutes next week in the guides. 10 jumping the shark already, before it starts?

1 Like