Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

sorry disagree. To me local news is just as important as the stupid national bulletins .

So when ten do the stupid national bulletins on that week I swap over to 9 news , because I know st least there will be news on my local state that I care about then the arrogance of Sydney or Melbourne.

2 Likes

The problem with Ten is that they don’t want to spend the money on their news. They expect “quick solutions” to biting into 7 and 9’s bulletins. Just like with Wake Up, and the news revolution. Wake up lasted only 6 months and the news revolution… well we know what happened there.

If TEN actually kept up with what they attempted, I’m sure that we’d have a very different looking TV landscape right now in regards to news competition between 7, 9 and 10.

7 Likes

Wrong. It was because of several shows failed to fire and it left Ten in a huge mess, ratings were plunging and they had to do something about it. Cost cuts were needed to stop the bleeding.

TBH, I’d like to see them them pour money into prime time but at the moment they are restricted because of the media laws and license fees.

do they even care about Perth at all? From what I’ve seen its mainly Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne states get all the attention.

Well, Sydney/NSW, Melbourne/Vic, and Brisbane/Queensland is 17 million people out of 24 million across the country. It makes sense that Ten put resources into states with bigger markets at the expense of smaller ones, as snobbish as that sounds.

Big cities get more spend and bigger states are more important for WIN.

1 Like

Didn’t Perth just get a new studio?

yeah but in the news report on national bulletins it barely mentions WA

I largely agree with you there. The hyper-localised news of Seven and Nine not being on Ten is what has drawn me to it over time; they focus on stories that deserve more attention due to their true significance- rather than ‘traffic gridlock’ or ‘fire on motorway’ etc.

Ultimately if a local story is important enough, it really should be featured on a national landscape.

What Seven and Nine love are scoops that are in reality just early insights into government projects etc. that are really just glorified PSAs or ads. They stick to these stories because ‘local’ news is more popular- broadly, people are more interested in what immediately effects them in their bubble, rather than seeing the bigger picture.

1 Like

True… but I don’t care about thr national news, like traffic or attempted ruder in another state. If it’s in w.a thr. Yes I care more.

I’ll be in Melbourne from Boxing Day… will still be watching the local Perth news from my hotel or catch up. But if ten can’t produce a local bulletin ring thr Christmas week because their either lazy or cheap. During that week of Christmas period then I will switch to another network. It’s rather simple (on my part) :grinning:

What do media laws have to do with it? And i don’t buy their crying poor over licence fees either.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. While it’s obviously important that viewers are aware of important national and international news, I would personally argue that local news is actually more important right now than it ever was before.

On the subject of Ten basically shutting down it’s local news operations over the Christmas/New Year period, shouldn’t that be seriously concerning? Ten are going to get caught out big time if a major local news event happens during that week of national bulletins while Seven/Nine are still in local coverage mode!

8 Likes

‘Major local news’ has always been covered over Xmas. There are still journos, cameras, editors, chiefs of staff and mex operators in every local market during this period. So the suggestion that newsrooms are completely shutdown is a bit off.
What is absent from network bulletins is often the hyper local news (which doesn’t usually make the cut for 30min sport impacted local bulletins either).
Every news outlet incorporates more national / network stories into their bulletins this time of year - whether they are presented locally or not.

14 Likes

Channel 7 / 9 manage to here in Perth, get local news all good. There’s heaps of local news around in the Christmas period (road deaths, robberies or whatever local news). What i don’t like about Ten is the fact that they feel the need to air a national bulletin that Perth viewers have to consider “Sydney” and “Melbourne” to be considered news worthy. This is my point. I think that’s why i hate Channel Ten this time of year, 7/9 over here can get their resources… together but Ten can’t and it’s really baffling. And yes before someone’s mention I know that the news room department has suffered quite a bit over the last few years.

Anyway, I think i should have made my point more elegantly is I don’t care about eastern states news. I only care about the local news, and i sure as hell don’t like the news being on delay . Which is why I switch over to Seven or Nine when Ten has it’s local news bulletin breaks for the national one.

That’s what i think I was driving across. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be in melbourne from boxing day, to the 2nd January and to keep in touch with my Perth news, will stream live either the 7 or 9 broadcasts Perth feed on the ipad via the app.

1 Like

I think that going back to a fortnight off is a bit disappointing - last year TEN only ‘shutdown’ for the week over Christmas/New Year (and it was 2 years ago that they did the first shutdown which was for a fortnight.)

4 Likes

It is. 3 hour delayed national bulletin news in Perth, does not work either. So why even bother airing it, just air Simpsons repeats in the 5 to 6pm timeslot and do some more damage (just kidding, well half n half) :stuck_out_tongue:

Well back to 7 & 9 during that “national; bulletin week” for me.

This is why 10 could have been smart and aired a live national bulletin after each big bash game. 10:15pm in the east, 9:15pm in Brisbane and 7:15pm in the west. That would have been a good strategy for the news.

1 Like

Why?

Because there are plenty of sources online for national/international news. Local news (outside of the online/social media presences of traditional media outlets), not so much.

1 Like

It can’t be for all BBL games as they don’t end at that time and you do realize that BBL airs on One during the weekdays in WA

Are you sure about that? I’ve noticed that it rates, almost the same as the local bulletin. Over summer its not all going to be 3 hour delayed, it will be on a hour delay, live or 3 hours on the weekend.

1 Like