Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Seriously, how hard is it to put in a sound proof wall and door?

1 Like

I dunno, but personally I dig the ā€œliveā€ chatter sound of a newsroom. To me it adds atmosphere to the bulletin.

10 Likes

Its not meant to be a full on soundproof studio. Its open plan live news studio.

1 Like

I agree. It reminds me of the Sevenā€™s 4.30 News where you could hear the phones ringing in the background. Itā€™s subtle but itā€™s a nice touch.

6 Likes

As mentioned itā€™s an open studio, it has a small hallway out to the news room.

5 Likes

Great to have you hear to pass on our whinges :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Can we also have a new backdrop too, it is summer.

1 Like

Not whingesā€¦ good feedback. Re: the backdrop, I believe one was trialled while I was on holiday last month. I think the feedback was that it just didnā€™t work, or too light. Something theyā€™re looking at - obviously the Brissy skyline is changing too.

9 Likes

my source said the same thing, it just clashed with what was there to work in with. something else is coming I hear tooā€¦ :).

5 Likes

What Iā€™m getting at - is social media and in particular Facebook is an incredibly powerful and cost effective media tool. You are now seeing US movie studios and tv networks spending more money on marketing on Facebook and social platforms than ever before. For example the last Fast & The Furious movie was a turning point as the studio spent more money marketing the movie through Instagram and Facebook then it did traditional media.

Yes, ratings matter the most - no doubt. Absolutely. But consider the changing habits of consumers. Broadcast TV is shrinking every year. Young people are avoiding FTA and using streaming service. As older people in the 25-54 bracket age up and die off, how is Ten News reaching the next generation? Ten as the youngest network is most vulnerable. If I am a younger person - moving away from FTA - how does Ten News plan to reach me in the future? How will their content reach me?

Thatā€™s where FB comes in. Itā€™s an incredibly powerful way to get your content in front of more viewers and engage with your brand. Pushing people to Twitter or TenPlay is not a good user experience in my example. People are on Facebook all day long. Ten News on TenPlay is a particular bad user experience.

What is Ten News (QLD) doing to reach younger viewers who are not watching between 5-6pm. You produce all this content - it never airs again (unlike abc, sky, 7 and 9 who have bulletins all day long) and then Ten News is the lease active on FB.

Look at say 7 News Sydney or 9 News Perth or 9 News Darwin. You have posted news clips getting 25l, 55k and up to 250k views. That is more people than watch the on air broadcast.

Facebook ā€œlikesā€ is not a a popularity contest - itā€™s not a trivial thing to see which station can get the most likes. Nor is it tied to the ratings performance on air. Itā€™s tied to an effective social media strategy. 9 News Perth has 500,000 likes astray have a brilliant social media team. They post content, clips, and breaking news all day long. They break news on their FB all day long - and use it as a power marketing tool to push to the 6pm broadcast. They are last placed news - so their need all the help they can get. And letā€™s be honest - so does Ten.

Itā€™s bulletins are down massively in ratings this year.

You say there is a national Ten News page - yes there is - but likewise national pages for 9 News and 7 news.

A better way to measure is engagement. Posting new updates (Ten News QLD) is pointless - these things are getting 159 views. Zero engagement. no one commenting sharing liking - interacting with your brand. Look at 9 News Perth - 55,000 views and 250 comments.

Ten News being the youngest skewing news service - is ironically the worst at social media. The likes and low, the engagement is particular low - and posting to the pages is sporadic and unrelieable. And Ten News QLD is by far the worst. Not trying to be an ass here - just wondering from someone on the inside if there is any social media strategy or staff at all at Ten News QLD - or if it;'s all just an afterthought.

But in a world where people are moving online and to social media to get their news - Ten is very vulnerable and light years behind it;s competitors.

@lachlan_kennedy

Maybe scrap local news pages on Facebook and just go with a page with a national and international focus.

Local stories do well on TV but they seem to die in the arse on social media. A large reason I think this is the case is because the average user is already probably aware of information relevant to them via eyewitnesses posting information to various locality-based groups (uni groups, work groups). Plus local events of any significance will either be picked up by the national media anyhow or drowned out by interstate/overseas clickbait.

Iā€™ve noticed US local news pages are putting up full videos of Trump rallies from the other side of the country recently, obviously because politics attracts clicks and drives interaction. This then interacts with the Facebook algorithm to put any story posted by that outlet higher on oneā€™s feed, regardless of locality. If Ten wants to retain local pages, post national and international stories on local feeds as well and spend $$$ on pushing your services onto feeds using sponsorship. Having a variety of stories rather than local ā€˜cat up treeā€™ videos on a wall increases the diversity and increases the likelihood of a story appealing to a viewer.

An example I can name is that, for some reason, Nine News Perth, The Australian and the Sydney Morning Herald always appear on my feed, whereas Nine News Queensland, the Courier Mail and the Brisbane Timesā€¦ I havenā€™t seen them at all of late. In the instance of the OZ and the SMH, itā€™s because they always do more international and national stuff of significance and local stuff canā€™t compete, because Iā€™ve got a Facebook group warning me about train delays and police radars before anyone else.

I think what youā€™re seeing is engagement reflected in FBā€™s algorithm.

Posts that get a like of likes, comments, shares and activity - FB determines to be popular - and thus their algorithm then seeds this in more peopleā€™s feeds. More people see it and the activity increases. So it feeds of itself. Also FB makes money by keeping you on their site - so if a post has video embedded into FB - they are more likely to seed that in your feed (instant articles also) if the post requires you to click away from FB - FB doesnā€™t like that - and so they populate those posts in less peopleā€™s feed.

Take a video of dolphins swimming yesterday in WA posted by 9 News Perth. 280,000 views in less than 19 hours. Engaging content that people are going to watch share like tag and comment - so FB determines how popular it is and keeps sharing it wider.

Contrast that with a news update posted by Ten News QLD - 129 views in 19 hours.

You do the maths.

They are posting the wrong content - requiring you to click away to TenPlay and just sharing Ten News national page posts. They are failing in 3 different ways.

Todayā€™s bulletin will be aired live around the country as it is sandwiched between two WBBL matches, meaning it will be seen in WA at 2pm. Why canā€™t Ten be that flexible when it comes to bulletins on the days of Supercars races, when they are not shown in Sydney and Melbourne at all?

6 Likes

So will it be called Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five: Weekend: At Two in Perth? that name is longer than the bulletin itself.

Hopefully they learn and have no bulletins pre-empted for the whole of 2017 and beyond. Just move the bulletin to accomodate the sport, Itā€™s so obvious but theyā€™re oblivious to it.

7 Likes

2pm is a lot different to 6pm.

Supercars takes up the whole day meaning the only time Ten could air news in Sydney and Melbourne is at 6pm. I think it has been well and truly proven that airing Ten Eyewitness News at 6pm against Seven/Nine is a total disaster.

Itā€™s a shame they donā€™t have a Perth only edition. Otherwise weā€™d have: Ten Eyewitness News: First at Five: Weekend At Two: Perth Edition :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

From 2017 Ten can (and should) show the news on One or Eleven at 5pm in Sydney and Melbourne when the Supercars are on, or stream it live on Tenplay.

Iā€™m sure Ten have been able to that for the last two years, except they choose not to. I donā€™t see why 2017 will be any different.

A news bulletin at 6pm with straight after the V8s beginning with 5 mins of race reports and highlights would keep a lot of viewers on - with them then locked into Ten for the rest of the news since any other lead stories will have already aired on the other channels. It would do a lot better than anything else they try to put on at that time.

9 Likes

Yes it would just be a short half hour bulletin at 6 no more than 5 times a year. Itā€™s not a permanent news bulletin at 6 just when sport is there. Itā€™s logical.

as I reported earlier in this thread, today is the first day of the moveable timeslot for the bulletin. 2pm in Perth, 4pm in Brisbane and 4.30 in Adelaide.

1 Like